Clean eating- does it matter?

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    it's ridiculous you can't claim to be a healthy eater if at least 90% of your choices are healthy. People who take it beyond that have orthorexia. My choices are mostly all whole food plant based. Everybody moderates to different degrees. I'm not judging anyone. Actually- you are

But why would you WANT to claim to be a "clean eater"? What's the point?

For me, it was explained to me that clean eating means 100% non processed. I don't cut out processed foods, I think some processed foods are healthy and others are delicious (cheese) and fit just fine in my goals.

But since I willingly eat some processed foods, if I said "yes, I am a clean eater" I would feel like a liar, even though I know most people who claim to eat clean eat pretty similar to how I do. (I eat less "clean" when eating veggie, like now, since I include some processed foods like tofu and tempeh to get up my protein.)

Oh, and sorry to keep responding to your posts -- I should probably wait 'til the end, but then it would be unreasonably long. I think this is an interesting topic and all of this is meant in a friendly way, in case it's not clear. I'm into whole foods based eating and nutrition myself, and have toyed with plant based although 100% PB is not currently for me, and probably won't be -- I just find it's easier and I feel better with some animal based foods and I don't have the ethical commitment to work around that. (I do care about sourcing and that's enough for me although I respect it is not for ethical vegetarians and vegans.)
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Either way, I don't want to debate semantics. It's clear that this threat is about if there is benefit to eating a healthier diet vs a junkier one for weight loss.

But see, this is a VERY different question than you first asked (which I tried to explain in my first post on page one, which was ignored).

If you'd asked this question, I would have said "yes, for most people." However, I do think there are exceptions. Some people really do seem to not want to change how they eat at all or can't cook or think doing so would be hugely burdensome or see having to eat foods they dislike (or think they dislike) as a huge stumbling block preventing them from losing weight. For them knowing they can lose just by controlling calories can be freeing, and allow them to start. Many or most of those, IME, do end up improving their diet as they gradually start cooking some and realize it's easier than they realized or faster, see how much difference it makes to how much they can eat, make changes as they figure out what's sating or learn more about food.

I did know a woman who ate mostly fast food (most people in my social circle really don't), and even she -- who was committed to the idea that she wanted to lose but not change how she ate other than amounts/choices at the fast food place, gradually started making nutritionally better choices with her orders, first, and then transitioning to much more home cooking, very gradually, and I think because as she got thinner she started feeling more able to care about nutrition (I was the opposite, but people are different) and because she didn't push herself to do something she thought she hated at first.

With your friend, I find it puzzling as I'd hate to be hungry all the time (just couldn't, to be honest), and so I'd naturally start eating more filling foods even if I didn't immediately think to do that or do it because of nutrition. So when people don't, I assume it's because they think it will just be for a short time and don't care (crash or fad dieting) or really feel set on not changing how they eat. In either case, that's their business, not mine.

Has your friend said why the hunger is worth it to her? (Just asking since you brought it up.)

Yes, you're right. I am realizing that I phrased it wrong. And I can see what you mean by different approaches working for different people.

She works weird hours and rarely buys groceries so she eats all her food out but she is a bartender and her looks are important to her. She wants to fit into her clothes from last year. I think she has a definite stigma against healthy foods because she was forced to eat them but now that she is feeling s *kitten* she is wanting to try more things but just kind of stuck in a cycle of eating what she's been eating the last ten years. (She was with me yesterday, but she's not today so that's all I can really say on her behalf.)

but anyway, I'm sorry my message wasn't clearly articulated. I didn't know clean eating was some kind of a cult lol
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    In the OP you said you ate "super clean", now you come back saying, "I drink twice a year and I eat a homemade dessert about once a month. I do use some processed sauces and when I'm sick, I eat white toast and drink processed juice", in other words, you moderate......just like most of us do. The difference is, we don't start threads that say "how important do you think it is to eat a homemade brownie in moderation?" See the difference? Quite honestly, it seems your OP was more of a humble brag on how superior your diet is to your friends and a backhanded put down of her. Moral equivocation has no place when it comes to food.
    Um, anyone who thinks their way of eating makes them MORALLY superior to someone else has some serious issues. I wasn't bragging about anything. I was engaging in conversation and discussion. I have no problem with the people who stuck to the discussion but it's ridiculous you can't claim to be a healthy eater if at least 90% of your choices are healthy. People who take it beyond that have orthorexia. My choices are mostly all whole food plant based. Everybody moderates to different degrees. I'm not judging anyone. Actually- you are

Healthy eating and clean eating are not synonymous, though. Maybe that's why we're having such a strange conversation here.

Okay, I'm going to post an edit to clarify. :) sorry it took me so long to understand that
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    Or wait, is there a way to add an edit to an existing thread?
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    My view is yes. I eat a super clean diet Within my calorie range and I am losing more then a pound a week (even though I'm not overweight) I'm 5"8 and started at about 160 and now I'm at 138. It's been super easy and my skin and hair look great.

My best friend is focusing only on calories and she is losing too but she always feels hungry, her nails are breaking too and she gets moody. So I think clean eating is super important during weight loss. What do you guys think?

P.S. my food diary is open if you want to look and friend adds are welcome

No, "clean eating" is a preference but not necessary for healthy weight loss.

Your rate of loss is pretty aggressive for your size. You may want to slow that down if you want to be a good example for others.

Your friend is likely malnourished and hungry maybe from too few calories if she has been trying to lose with a very aggressive rate and likely not eating enough nutrients.
    She does not need to eat "clean" to have a nutritious filling diet. She does need to eat more than cookies. Protein, fats and fiber help people to feel satisfied- have her look at her consumption of these.
    Suggest that she adjust her goal to something less aggressive. If she is 50+ lbs overweight then losing 2 lbs a week could be okay. Under 50 lbs overweight then 1 lb a week is usually a pretty reasonable goal. If 20 lbs or less overweight then .5 lb a week might be best.
    If she wants advice she could post her stats and what she is eating here and people would be able to give input. Or she could see a doctor and/or registered dietician for help.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

You can only edit a post for the first hour, unfortunately. Those of us who are participating can see that clearly we've come around to understanding each other (I can totally see why this thread looks like it does if you thought we were all talking about just not eating healthy). But you'll have posters pop in for the next few days who clearly haven't read past the first post. For the most part, you can just ignore them.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Either way, I don't want to debate semantics. It's clear that this threat is about if there is benefit to eating a healthier diet vs a junkier one for weight loss.

But see, this is a VERY different question than you first asked (which I tried to explain in my first post on page one, which was ignored).

If you'd asked this question, I would have said "yes, for most people." However, I do think there are exceptions. Some people really do seem to not want to change how they eat at all or can't cook or think doing so would be hugely burdensome or see having to eat foods they dislike (or think they dislike) as a huge stumbling block preventing them from losing weight. For them knowing they can lose just by controlling calories can be freeing, and allow them to start. Many or most of those, IME, do end up improving their diet as they gradually start cooking some and realize it's easier than they realized or faster, see how much difference it makes to how much they can eat, make changes as they figure out what's sating or learn more about food.

I did know a woman who ate mostly fast food (most people in my social circle really don't), and even she -- who was committed to the idea that she wanted to lose but not change how she ate other than amounts/choices at the fast food place, gradually started making nutritionally better choices with her orders, first, and then transitioning to much more home cooking, very gradually, and I think because as she got thinner she started feeling more able to care about nutrition (I was the opposite, but people are different) and because she didn't push herself to do something she thought she hated at first.

With your friend, I find it puzzling as I'd hate to be hungry all the time (just couldn't, to be honest), and so I'd naturally start eating more filling foods even if I didn't immediately think to do that or do it because of nutrition. So when people don't, I assume it's because they think it will just be for a short time and don't care (crash or fad dieting) or really feel set on not changing how they eat. In either case, that's their business, not mine.

Has your friend said why the hunger is worth it to her? (Just asking since you brought it up.)

Yes, you're right. I am realizing that I phrased it wrong. And I can see what you mean by different approaches working for different people.

She works weird hours and rarely buys groceries so she eats all her food out but she is a bartender and her looks are important to her. She wants to fit into her clothes from last year. I think she has a definite stigma against healthy foods because she was forced to eat them but now that she is feeling s *kitten* she is wanting to try more things but just kind of stuck in a cycle of eating what she's been eating the last ten years. (She was with me yesterday, but she's not today so that's all I can really say on her behalf.)

but anyway, I'm sorry my message wasn't clearly articulated. I didn't know clean eating was some kind of a cult lol

Don't worry about it. You clarified! I was never upset or anything anyway, it just changes my answer.

I think your explanation about your friend makes sense, and it's why I don't normally worry about lecturing people to eat better (although they should not give up on vegetables, LOL!). It tends to take care of itself as they realize it affects how hungry they are and how they feel, and they often are more likely to stick to it if they feel like they are doing it because they want to and not because others tell them to or they have to (that was part of the deal with my friend with the fast food -- she felt like people couldn't tell her how to lose weight). Lots of people have a contrarian streak like that, I do myself, although not about nutrition/weight loss, really.
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Yes, it 100% matters, for instance, I eat healthy. I ate one cancer meal (taco bell) and broke out in sweat throwing up for hours. If I eat a slice of cake I get horrid acne. Actually, anything that has no good nutrition sends me into oblivion, I will get sick, depressed and acne. Not to mention I hate the taste of white bread, white rice and fried foods. The flavors are nasty, I don't understand why some people enjoy the taste, I honestly think they pretend to like it because they don't want to make effort in eating healthy. White bread tastes like paper... unless they have weird taste buds its a strange concept to me. I will say sugar is different though, it tastes AMAZING... and sometimes its worth the acne and migraine

Mmmm... I would be willing to try a Doritos-flavor-dusted cake taco.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options
    OP, back to your friend. Perhaps you could help her in this way. You say she has a weird schedule and doesn't buy groceries.....cool. You say she eats a lot off fast food and gas station junk (my words, not yours)....cool. Here is the thing, she can still eat McDonalds and Taco Bell etc., buy gas station junk (sort of) and still eat somewhat healthy. my challenge to you is this, have this conversation with your friend; " I know you have a busy schedule and it is hard for you to make time to shop and cook. I understand your need for fast food and convenience store snacks. I can help you make choices that will be healthier OVERALL while still meeting YOUR needs." If you can get over any preconceived notions that all fast food is bad and actually look at the macro/micro nutrient content, you can put together a not too bad meal plan. One of my go to snacks is beef jerky, its low calorie and high in protein. I buy it at the convenience store. A grilled chicken sandwich, plain with lettuce and a little sauce of your choice (I like ketchup) is just fine. Heck, a Big Mac is ok if you pair it with a side salad. See what I mean? If you really want to help someone, meet them at THEIR point of need, not yours. I hope this helps, Im not trying to be snarky.

Great tips!!! This would definitely make a huge improvement for her. I'm going to copy and paste her the message and then help her choose some healthier things at the places I know she eats. Idk if she'll be willing to do the side salad though lmao
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options

You can only edit a post for the first hour, unfortunately. Those of us who are participating can see that clearly we've come around to understanding each other (I can totally see why this thread looks like it does if you thought we were all talking about just not eating healthy). But you'll have posters pop in for the next few days who clearly haven't read past the first post. For the most part, you can just ignore them.
    Yeah, I don't know why that took me is long to figure out haha. I guess I didn't know what clean eating actually meant. Thanks for understanding guys :)
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    Options

Don't worry about it. You clarified! I was never upset or anything anyway, it just changes my answer.

I think your explanation about your friend makes sense, and it's why I don't normally worry about lecturing people to eat better (although they should not give up on vegetables, LOL!). It tends to take care of itself as they realize it affects how hungry they are and how they feel, and they often are more likely to stick to it if they feel like they are doing it because they want to and not because others tell them to or they have to (that was part of the deal with my friend with the fast food -- she felt like people couldn't tell her how to lose weight). Lots of people have a contrarian streak like that, I do myself, although not about nutrition/weight loss, really.

Yeah, I think she's at that breaking point where she's starting to want to try something new.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    In the end OP, she has to be receptive to your help. Good luck!
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. I have the same ideology as you. I always feel like crap when I eat junk, but when I eat healthy I'm fine. Everyone has their own goals. In the beginning it won't matter, but sooner or later it will catch up to you.

I once ate bad all day and for 3 days I was sick. I felt so disgusted. I couldn't wait until it pass.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that some places, one big chain that escapes me right now (assuming you're US) has wraps and fruit bowls and salad bowls etc. So those could be options too.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    It might help to clarify which version of clean eating we're talking about.

Calories matter for weight loss. Good nutrition matters for things like hunger and health. But those can both be achieved with or without a "clean" diet.

Your diary shows a really low fat intake. I just want to be sure you're being smart about that because I can't imagine keeping my fat that low (and I have to stay low fat without my gallbladder).

Best of luck with your goals! :flowerforyou:

I have to eat low fat because fat cause my skin to break out and give me breakouts but I make sure I get my omegas from my greens on chronometer and if I don't, I'll have a tbsp of seeds. All my blood work is perfect for the first time in my life. I think eating clean just helps you feel full. For example, I'm going to feel a lot more full on a giant salad then two Oreos so I feel like it would be harder to feel full without eating clean

Who makes a choice between a giant salad, or two oreos? What harm will I come to, if I eat a salad AND eat Oreos, when I have room in my calories for both?

She already stated that eating Oreos would not make her feel full (and presumably would lead to overeating).

If you are someone who can eat anything, anytime and stay in tiptop shape, well then..hallelujah. :)

I make good steaks.

Eating Oreos instead of a salad would not make her feel full. Me neither. I really can't think of a time when I was trying to decide between a salad, which I would consider a meal, and two Oreos, which I would consider dessert. My point is that why does there always have to be this false dilemma? Are there people who choose to eat Oreos instead of a sensible meal? Not that they choose to consume Oreos after a sensible meal, but instead of? Those are the scenarios that are always proposed in these threads and they just don't seem realistic to me.

Eat anything, any time and stay in tip top shape? I don't think I would go that far, but I don't see how my comments indicate that I believe that I do that. I'm not striving for top top shape.... I'm striving for generally healthy and happy, and a diet that includes a variety of Whole Foods, processed foods, and even Oreos in moderation - helps me achieve that.

The problem is you are speaking from the perspective of someone who's healthy and rational and balanced.

But nothing is rational or absurd, rare about this false dilemma when it comes to food choice for people with eating disorder.

I think it's encouraging that the OP finds salad to be a solution for her, however it may seem trivial to you. Also, people like me could read more from it and develop other ideas. It doesn't have to be for a meal. Anytime I feel hungry, instead of going for Oreos, I can preemptively eat a big salad.

Does it mean I think Oreos are bad? No. But while dealing with an eating disorder, I need to pick a side and decide that Oreos would derail my effort and need to be avoided. It's like an alcoholic forgoing alcohol drinks completely to deal with his problem instead of striving for a balance like responsible drinkers do.

Whilst I respect and empathise with your situation it is completely different from the average person, this has sort of been brought up before. Should we, in every thread, tiptoe round and cover every single eventuality and medical issue someone might be dealing with if they haven't disclosed that to be an issue?

That's something someone should be working on with their treatment team if they have one. It's not my responsibility or expertise to make sure that when I say you can have a salad and an Orea that someone with an ED might be thrown for a loop because they find the notion in conflict with themselves. It's horrible for that person no doubt, but this isn't an ED specific support forum.

I think where you and I differ is your impression that this eating disorder is medical and can only be treated by professional. That's not my impression. This overeating disorder brought up in a wt loss forum can be helped with good strategies shared by ordinary successful people.

Being a forum you're gonna get different topics and individual cases.

Anyway, do you think that any dieter -- I'm not talking about those with medical issue -- can take the generic advice that she can have a salad and Oreos and have it work, even if it works for you? I think it's a little naive if you think so.
  • rc391
    rc391 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Eat anything you want as long as you hit your macros. Clean eating or not will not affect your goals as long as you hit yours macros.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    It might help to clarify which version of clean eating we're talking about.

Calories matter for weight loss. Good nutrition matters for things like hunger and health. But those can both be achieved with or without a "clean" diet.

Your diary shows a really low fat intake. I just want to be sure you're being smart about that because I can't imagine keeping my fat that low (and I have to stay low fat without my gallbladder).

Best of luck with your goals! :flowerforyou:

I have to eat low fat because fat cause my skin to break out and give me breakouts but I make sure I get my omegas from my greens on chronometer and if I don't, I'll have a tbsp of seeds. All my blood work is perfect for the first time in my life. I think eating clean just helps you feel full. For example, I'm going to feel a lot more full on a giant salad then two Oreos so I feel like it would be harder to feel full without eating clean

Who makes a choice between a giant salad, or two oreos? What harm will I come to, if I eat a salad AND eat Oreos, when I have room in my calories for both?

She already stated that eating Oreos would not make her feel full (and presumably would lead to overeating).

If you are someone who can eat anything, anytime and stay in tiptop shape, well then..hallelujah. :)

I make good steaks.

Eating Oreos instead of a salad would not make her feel full. Me neither. I really can't think of a time when I was trying to decide between a salad, which I would consider a meal, and two Oreos, which I would consider dessert. My point is that why does there always have to be this false dilemma? Are there people who choose to eat Oreos instead of a sensible meal? Not that they choose to consume Oreos after a sensible meal, but instead of? Those are the scenarios that are always proposed in these threads and they just don't seem realistic to me.

Eat anything, any time and stay in tip top shape? I don't think I would go that far, but I don't see how my comments indicate that I believe that I do that. I'm not striving for top top shape.... I'm striving for generally healthy and happy, and a diet that includes a variety of Whole Foods, processed foods, and even Oreos in moderation - helps me achieve that.

The problem is you are speaking from the perspective of someone who's healthy and rational and balanced.

But nothing is rational or absurd, rare about this false dilemma when it comes to food choice for people with eating disorder.

I think it's encouraging that the OP finds salad to be a solution for her, however it may seem trivial to you. Also, people like me could read more from it and develop other ideas. It doesn't have to be for a meal. Anytime I feel hungry, instead of going for Oreos, I can preemptively eat a big salad.

Does it mean I think Oreos are bad? No. But while dealing with an eating disorder, I need to pick a side and decide that Oreos would derail my effort and need to be avoided. It's like an alcoholic forgoing alcohol drinks completely to deal with his problem instead of striving for a balance like responsible drinkers do.

Whilst I respect and empathise with your situation it is completely different from the average person, this has sort of been brought up before. Should we, in every thread, tiptoe round and cover every single eventuality and medical issue someone might be dealing with if they haven't disclosed that to be an issue?

That's something someone should be working on with their treatment team if they have one. It's not my responsibility or expertise to make sure that when I say you can have a salad and an Orea that someone with an ED might be thrown for a loop because they find the notion in conflict with themselves. It's horrible for that person no doubt, but this isn't an ED specific support forum.

I think where you and I differ is your impression that this eating disorder is medical and can only be treated by professional. That's not my impression. This overeating disorder brought up in a wt loss forum can be helped with good strategies shared by ordinary successful people.

Being a forum you're gonna get different topics and individual cases.

Anyway, do you think that any dieter -- I'm not talking about those with medical issue -- can take the generic advice that she can have a salad and Oreos and have it work, even if it works for you? I think it's a little naive if you think so.

But if that's my experience and I clearly state that's what I do but YMMV what else can I do?

I mean, I'm not even a fan of Oreos but I can certainly see the merits of fitting one in if you so desire and can moderate them.

I can't cover all bases because I only have my personal experience to offer, or at the very least all I can offer is generic advice if the OP/person asking doesn't fully disclose any issues they may have.