Clean eating- does it matter?

Options

Replies

• prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    I think I eat clean. I eat mostly vegetables, fruit, whole grains, fats, and fish and lean meats.

I don't eat refined sugar (causes inflammation), dairy (causes inflammation), soy (can turn to hormones), and rarely eat gluten.

I have Multiple Sclerosis and I started swimming competitively after 14 years off. I make smoothies with ginger and tumeric to cut inflammation.

I have to avoid hormones because I had a pulmonary embolism 3 years ago.

I feel really good. It is good for me. I don't judge others for what they eat. It works for me.

I have had problems in the past with walking and needing a cane and I don't right now. I had horrible weight gain with menopause. I am starting to finally lose weight after 3 years.

I believe everyone has their own path.

I really am glad for you that you found a method that makes you healthier and generally feel better. With that said you mentioned four separate medical conditions that make your situation wildly unique. You situation wont apply to the vast majority of people.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I read all 8 pages. I appreciate the conclusion/understanding. I personally eat a nutritious diet. As many have said, my diet has slowly morphed into a much more wholesome and nutrient dense diet. I definitely indulge and enjoy my processed foods, but I eat minimal now, by default. If I don't have a salad or pita for lunch, I'll have a lean cuisine. But dinner is always something that's been minimally processed, as in frozen meat/veggies from my dads farm. Can't get much fresher than that :). Friday - usually pizza or sushi with several adult beverages.

As for eating "treats" when hungry, I totally think about chips or cookies when I'm hungry. If it's in between a meal, I'll absolutely have a snack. It can be a tomato salad with balsamic or a serving of potato chips - whatever "floats my boat" as I like to say (as long as it fits in my calorie goal).

It was great seeing everyone come to an understanding on one of these posts! Moral of the story - whatever works best for you, you just gotta find it!

Cheers - TGIF!!!
  • thechaoswithinme
    thechaoswithinme Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I think clean eating in general is great for health!! And it totally helps with weight loss!! I'm a clean eater but I have to focus on increasing my protein in my diet!! When you eat a clean diet. It's crazy how much food you can consume!!! Congrats on eating healthy
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    I think clean eating in general is great for health!! And it totally helps with weight loss!! I'm a clean eater but I have to focus on increasing my protein in my diet!! When you eat a clean diet. It's crazy how much food you can consume!!! Congrats on eating healthy

So you didn't read the thread?
  • thechaoswithinme
    thechaoswithinme Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Yes, it 100% matters, for instance, I eat healthy. I ate one cancer meal (taco bell) and broke out in sweat throwing up for hours. If I eat a slice of cake I get horrid acne. Actually, anything that has no good nutrition sends me into oblivion, I will get sick, depressed and acne. Not to mention I hate the taste of white bread, white rice and fried foods. The flavors are nasty, I don't understand why some people enjoy the taste, I honestly think they pretend to like it because they don't want to make effort in eating healthy. White bread tastes like paper... unless they have weird taste buds its a strange concept to me. I will say sugar is different though, it tastes AMAZING... and sometimes its worth the acne and migraine
    Some people have different taste buds. I used to enjoy garbage. Or over processed foods. I went on a diet and eliminated all those food lost 125. I go back to treat myself to something I used to eat... nothing taste the same as it used to.. I used to love these food and over indulge. Now I try these food and it's somewhat gross to me. I would rather eat grapes than gummy bears.. it's the sugar and high fat and sodium. That make people go back for more. It like an explosion on the taste buds.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Yes, it 100% matters, for instance, I eat healthy. I ate one cancer meal (taco bell) and broke out in sweat throwing up for hours. If I eat a slice of cake I get horrid acne. Actually, anything that has no good nutrition sends me into oblivion, I will get sick, depressed and acne. Not to mention I hate the taste of white bread, white rice and fried foods. The flavors are nasty, I don't understand why some people enjoy the taste, I honestly think they pretend to like it because they don't want to make effort in eating healthy. White bread tastes like paper... unless they have weird taste buds its a strange concept to me. I will say sugar is different though, it tastes AMAZING... and sometimes its worth the acne and migraine
    Some people have different taste buds. I used to enjoy garbage. Or over processed foods. I went on a diet and eliminated all those food lost 125. I go back to treat myself to something I used to eat... nothing taste the same as it used to.. I used to love these food and over indulge. Now I try these food and it's somewhat gross to me. I would rather eat grapes than gummy bears.. it's the sugar and high fat and sodium. That make people go back for more. It like an explosion on the taste buds.

the sugar in the grapes is the same as the sugar in the gummy bears.

how are you defining processed?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

Gummy Bears are . . . low fat.

Not the chubby ones.

It's the Gummiberry juice, it's impossible to drink that stuff in moderation.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

You used to eat garbage? And enjoyed it?

Millions of goats can't be wrong.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I think I eat clean. I eat mostly vegetables, fruit, whole grains, fats, and fish and lean meats.

I don't eat refined sugar (causes inflammation), dairy (causes inflammation), soy (can turn to hormones), and rarely eat gluten.

I have Multiple Sclerosis and I started swimming competitively after 14 years off. I make smoothies with ginger and tumeric to cut inflammation.

I have to avoid hormones because I had a pulmonary embolism 3 years ago.

I feel really good. It is good for me. I don't judge others for what they eat. It works for me.

I have had problems in the past with walking and needing a cane and I don't right now. I had horrible weight gain with menopause. I am starting to finally lose weight after 3 years.

I believe everyone has their own path.
    Just saying that exercise causes inflammation. Inflammation isn't always a "bad" thing.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    WinoGelato wrote: »

You used to eat garbage? And enjoyed it?

That is strange. I'm glad I haven't ever had to dig food out of a trash can. My sympathy to @thechaoswithinme for going through that...

I mean, it's really heartwarming that she was able to make the best out of what most people would consider a bad situation.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I used to enjoy garbage.

That's just gross. Were you homeless or something?

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Not the chubby ones.

It's the Gummiberry juice, it's impossible to drink that stuff in moderation.

Thanks for making me "that girl" on the train (laughing loudly all by myself) :wink:
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options

Not the chubby ones.

hahaha - this made me LOL at work. haha