8 years.

Options
2»

Replies

• BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member
    Options

some of these posts make me feel *kitten* old. and thinking back 8 years ago was already depressing me.
  • opheliaphoenix
    opheliaphoenix Posts: 1,474 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Eight years ago, I had recently been reunited with my then fiancé (now husband) after his last 15 month deployment and had been living with him in a brand new state for a little over a month at this point. So, we didn't have much in our new little apartment at that time, but I was over the moon in love and happy as a clam anyway, because I was able to see him again whenever I wanted. :heart:

I think that time apart so early in our relationship strengthened my bond with him more than I expected, because - to this day - I still feel just as comforted by the sound of his heartbeat while my head is on his chest or just hearing him breathing next to me as we lie in bed at night. (As long as it isn't snoring, lol.) Most long distance interruptions weaken or disrupt a bond between people, but I didn't have access to those moments together when I wanted it so badly that my whole being ached, so I came to appreciate it in a way I never thought possible before meeting him.

Sorry to get all cheesy...I will stop now. It just impacted me in a very real way and has remained a strong feeling ever since. I'll just leave it at 2009, after February at least, was a great year. :blush:

- - -

EDIT: I didn't look too much different, just younger...lol. Don't mind the pinkish filter. :lol:

232usg.jpg
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't really change anything, except to let myself know that everything turned out alright. No need to worry.
  • KyleGrace8
    KyleGrace8 Posts: 2,205 Member
    Options
    8 years ago I was 20 and really happy or right at the tail end of the happiest time in my life. Sad that a two and a half relationship was the happiest time of my life (4 yrs total but *kitten* hit the fan at that turning point) I'd say leave him at the first sign like you were going to and don't let his tears sway you. I was in college and I think graduated that year. I don't regret that but I wished I had went back for something else bc I knew during that it wasn't for me. I could've been a Veterinarian by now but I thought it would take too long and I had to live life! HA! hahahahaha Idk on a political level me now would have punched my past self in the throat. Your first car is cool and all but get something with better gas bc it's not worth it. Talk to that hot girl in your class you idiot and stop dodging her bc you're afraid; you probably could have figured out some things a bit sooner.
    tldr; Go back to school and don't let people manipulate you and go to therapy for that social anxiety, meds work and don't get off them bc you think you're cured now.
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    @opheliaphoenix that is so sweet! My husband went on a 15 month deployment near the beginning of our relationship too and I totally feel the same way. It definitely strengthened our bond :heart:

My husband didn't deploy, but he did go away to grad school for the year we were engaged. Long distance can really help build trust and communication in a strong relationship. It was a weird adjustment though to go from dating, to long distance, to living together!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Eight years ago I looked the same. I worked at the same job. I was married to the same woman,

Only differences. I have a new motorcycle. I've lost a little weight. I've put away a lot of funds for retirement. My youngest daughter finished college and moved out. I'm 8 years closer to retirement in 2019.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I was born in a Mennonite community. Raised in the church until the age of 8. We were excommunicated. Went to another Mennonite church until I was 14. My son was born when I was 14. I started working out in a non-Mennonite community when I was 19. Moved out on my own at 19. Will finalize my son's adoption when I am 21. Out of those, I'd say I'm my fourth 'life'. I am so cut off from my childhood that it feels like someone else lived it. It's like seeing the world in black and white, and it slowly changes to color. You forget what black and white looked like. Visiting my school and childhood church is so weird. Like I'm in someone else's body.
  • browneyedgirl749
    browneyedgirl749 Posts: 4,984 Member
    Options
    I was in a job I hated, online schooling full time, and living with a roommate. I have since graduated college, bought my own house, and work at a job that challenges me everyday, but I love it.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    working a crummy job where I let myself get sucked into the immature drama, and wondering if my now husband was worth really investing in. I guess I would tell myself to "grow the heck up and yes, he is"