Calorie reduction and macro nutrient variations, plus exercise cannot stop my fat gain

13»

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Someone who is more tech savvy please enlighten me. I see this a lot on the forums, someone like the OP has a first visit date, in this case of November 2015, then out of the blue has a post like this. There will be three or four comments, then POOF, gone. I have seen this at least a hundred times, my question is, can someone who knows how manipulate that kind of thing? Not saying that is the case with the OP, but just in general. Is that the work of really good trolls? I am old and can barely turn on a computer, so I don't know.

I am not tech savvy, but something I often forget to keep in mind - some people don't spend all day on the forums :). For example, OP commented last night, so maybe he only hops on every night after dinner. I am on the down low checking FB and MFP all day, but not everyone can. I do also think sometimes people think they know what they're doing so they never look at the forum. Then when they finally ask their first question because they are frustrated, and don't get the answer they wanted, they wander off. Honestly, I'd rather that then have them yell at us and rage quit :wink:
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    SideSteel wrote: »
    zrad1 wrote: »
    I have been using a highly accurate and expensive professional grade kitchen scale. There is nothing I have not overlooked regarding the accuracy of calories consumed. I know of CICO and have read about the twinkie diet etc.. , that is not working for me if I exercise. If I do not exercise, the weight starts to come off, but for some reason if I exercise, my weight goes up and I do not mean water weight, actual fat. So frustrating and puzzling!!!

@zrad1 Working out should increase your appetite.

Effects of exercise on appetite are individually variant and tend to be intensity/modality dependent too. I don't think it's at all accurate to state that it should increase appetite.

https://caloriesecrets.net/does-exercise-increase-the-appetite/

Eh. Exercise kills my appetite.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,988 Member
    fascha wrote: »
    I've heard of intermittent fasting working but not intermittent logging.
    QFT...

• Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,224 Member
    edited April 2017
    I have been using a highly accurate and expensive professional grade kitchen scale. There is nothing I have not overlooked regarding the accuracy of calories consumed. I know of CICO and have read about the twinkie diet etc.. , that is not working for me if I exercise. If I do not exercise, the weight starts to come off, but for some reason if I exercise, my weight goes up and I do not mean water weight, actual fat. So frustrating and puzzling!!!

Effects of exercise on appetite are individually variant and tend to be intensity/modality dependent too. I don't think it's at all accurate to state that it should increase appetite.

Eh. Exercise kills my appetite.

Ditto. Eating is the last thing on my mind after exercise. Granted, I'm guessing that's because I've chugged way too much water during the exercise. Most likely wouldn't have room for food even if I did have the desire to eat.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    You are an alien. Sorry I had to be the to tell you.
    Seriously though, I hope you find a solution. Best of luck to you.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,753 Member

Exercising supresses my appetite. Too much snacking supresses my appetite too. Lol
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Anything from OP yet?
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    If your TDEE is 3000 and you eat 1800, you will lose weight. Low T will not affect your ability to lose weight but it may impair muscle growth or make you more susceptible to muscle catabolism in a deficit.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    @zrad1 have you ever tried Pycnogenol version of pine bark?

"Even sports people may benefit from Pycnogenol. When we exercise, the number of free-radicals, in our bodies, increases dramatically. Since, free-radicals damage everything they come into contact with, including muscle fibres. Research has shown that free-radicals caused by exhaustive exercise can cause muscle cells to completely rupture (Vina et al., 2000). By taking a potent anti-oxidant like Pycnogenol you can counteract the damage caused by free-radicals and thus gain more benefit from exercise. Researchers have found that Pycnogenol may even enhance human exercise performance (Pavlovic, 1999). In this study, athletes improved endurance by 21%, following consumption of 200mg of Pycnogenol.

One of the most interesting pieces of research with regards to sport was a paper looking at the effects of Pycnogenol on human growth hormone (HGH) (Buz’Zard et al., 2002). The researchers found that Pycnogenol was extremely effective at enhancing growth hormone secretion in cultured cells. The authors stated: “It is tempting to sugest that Pycnogenol is up to 1000 times more effective than the other compounds we studied. They also suggested that some of the positive effects often seen with Pycnogenol could in fact be due to enhanced growth hormone secretion. Enhancing human growth hormone naturally, with Pycnogenol, would be very beneficial for anyone looking to improve recovery from exercise. Since growth hormone increases lean muscle mass, and decreases fat mass, Pycnogenol could be of benefit to people looking to increase muscle mass and decrease fat mass..........."

Source:
    strengthandfitnessuk.com/pycnogenol

• chelsea7162
    chelsea7162 Posts: 97 Member
    If traditional methods are not working, you NEED to see a doctor. This forum is not a replacement for proper medical advice and registered dieticians. Seek out a registered dietician and get blood work done to eliminate any hormonal issues. You noted that you have low T, have you tried hormone therapy to up your levels? This will help you eventually build more muscle faster if you would like to. There could be other factors for a lack of weight loss and it's important to get a full physical and blood work to check all hormone levels. A registered dietitian will be of more help with your situation than a personal trainer as they have far more specialized training and years of university studies.
  • inertiastrength
    He hasn't logged in in 3 days, I think it's fair to say that logging when he feels like rather than completely isn't working for him.
  • inertiastrength
    unless of course he's using a highly sophisticated, very expensive other app.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    In his second post on this thread he claimed he was DONE with logging.

He was looking for sensitive replies and I suppose that us asking questions didn't qualify as sensitive. Not sure however that any of us could have given him a sensitive reply without additional info. I still think that IF he is eating back his exercise calories (since he said that he only gains when he exercises) that is where his problem is.
    I have been logging in every single atom that crossed my lips for years. Discipline is not my problem, results are. I am tired of over-analyzing everything and accumulating so much data, then slicing and dicing it until I realized just how ridiculous this is. No more fastidiously logging in every single ounce, I am done with that because it did not yield any clear insights and I am a data analyst. One thing I learned is that most diets fail long term, so eating in a restrictive way is not for me. I am not sure if anyone knows how restrictive the Atkins induction phase is, but I was on it for three years eating less than 20 grams of carbs until I had to go to the hospital and they showed liver and kidney damage directly due to high uric acid and linked to my diet. The moment I touched carbs, like strawberries, sweet potatoes, my weight started going up very quickly. Not doing that anymore, that is just brain damaged. No more BDK (benign dietary ketosis). My numbers are coming from the nutritional databases and Polar and have been double-checked for accuracy. I used the body fat gold standard; the water tank dunking. I also used the highly accurate body electric resistance scales. I would appreciate any thoughtful, well educated and sensitive replies.

• Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member

The above post is why I think that his expensive Polar device is giving him erroneous information.

I really wish he would come back and answer a few questions and then be willing to consider some of the replies. I think that if he would it could solve the problem for him.

Oh well...can't help someone that truly doesn't want to accept the fact that they might be doing it wrong.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,988 Member
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    Oh well...can't help someone that truly doesn't want to accept the fact that they might be doing it wrong.

Sadly you can't fight faith with facts...
  • inertiastrength
    edited April 2017
    Being open minded about what I was doing incorrectly and taking other's sugggestions was what got me to goal. But yeah, if you think you have it figured out from day 1 you will more than likely fail. We all changed something at some point (those of us that were successful anyway). Nothing more limiting to progress than willful ignorance
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    I have a highly accurate Polar monitor. On an average resting day I burn on average 2,900 - 3200 calories. When I work out from 4,000 - 5,000 calories.

Those numbers are very high. VERY high. If you are eating back even half of those numbers, my guess is that you are eating more than you should be. And really, eating too much is the only explanation.

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Wait, on a sedentary day(is that was is meant by rest or are you walking 10 miles on those days?) you get 2900-3200? That does seem high if you're not very heavy.