Any emotional eaters who have found healthier ways to deal with stress

Options

Replies

• dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Running, of course. I also play disc golf (cheaper than regular golf). And be social. Outside. When the sun is out.
  • mysterycookie
    mysterycookie Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I do one mindful meal every day - meaning (I eat and try to minimize other distractions):
    1) No tv/phone
    2) Sit with nothing on my table except the lamp, food, and a glass of water
    3) Put the fork/food down after each bite (and don't pick up the next bite yet)
    4) Take a little sip of water after each bite, then take a breath and think: am I full yet?

I usually do this for breakfast and it has significantly increased my awareness of when I'm full, when I actually want to eat, and what food will make me happy when I'm done with it. Sometimes it's ice cream, but usually it's not anymore! This has helped me a TON, but if I stop doing it, I start drifting away into emotional eating throughout the day.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    For me, there's nothing that helps relieve stress/stops me emotionally eating that's less harmful than overeating.
  • ekritter7
    ekritter7 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    When I want to eat my feelings, I start with drinking some water. It helps calm my stomach and lets me know if I'm actually hungry or if I'm just having cravings. If I'm truly hungry (tummy doesn't settle down) then I head to the kitchen and chop up some fruit or veggies and dip to munch on (assuming it isn't meal time). If I'm not really hungry, I try to get busy doing something else. Homework, taking a walk, exercising, cleaning, etc... can all be great ways to help curb cravings.
    It's OK to be hungry outside of meal times. Just try not to waste snacks on junk food. Sticking to fruits and veggies with dip has saved me a lot of calories and they can be SOOO yummy.

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I'm not an emotional eater or stress eater, but my job tends to be very stressful and life in general...regular exercise has helped greatly where stress is concerned.
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this as well.

(1) prepare for life's stresses they will happen. (death of a family member, job, finances etc) Find your coping skills before the stress hits.
    (2) music is therapeutic. Find what will help process the stress/emotions that you are going through. Music for anger, sadness, grieving. Switch it into inspiring music to keep you positive.
    (3) Take that playlist to your workout. Don't let anyone interrupt you. This is your time to invest and care for yourself.
    (4) keep healthy options for sweet and salty cravings. If it's in my house I will go to that as a bad coping behavior.
  • pawamonster
    pawamonster Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I'm going to echo a lot of the above advice - I got treatment for the underlying anxiety issues, the emotional eating went away. I developed a bunch of strategies for coping with stress that were actually useful and longer-lasting. Food makes you feel better for a few minutes, but walking/mediating/list-making/singing/whatever floats your boat stick for a whole lot longer.

If you do decide you want a treat and you're not just trying to avoid coping with your emotions, go out and get one. Don't keep it in the house.
  • Lonestar5715
    Lonestar5715 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    The best thing (and worst thing) that happened was when my nephew told me I was stressed and "needed" to eat a burrito. It startled and shocked me into realizing that I was using a special meal treat to combat stress at work. From that day on, I don't eat because I "need" it to alleviate stress. I go and workout when I'm stressed and that does great things for my body and doesn't add calories. I try not to allow "need" to dictate what I eat. It still happens sometimes but I'm only human.

I can identify with this post. I too found I was "rewarding" myself with food or eating to ease stress until I realized how counter-productive it was to my health without which nothing else matters. So now I try to take the emotion out of my decision of what/when to eat. I have come to accept that my body is mine and I cannot expect anyone else to take responsibility for the care of it.

Great topic though op, best of luck to you!
  • ivygirl1937
    ivygirl1937 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
  • Diastole
    Diastole Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    My horrible job made me an emotional eater. I know we need jobs but when its straining my physical AND mental health...time to quit. So I did.

Turned to freelance and when I don`t have to commute for a hour, packed onto public transport after an unrewarding day with ungrateful bosses and customers, I don`t scoff a doughnut followed by 2 packs of crisps followed by a mayo ham sandwich washed down with fruit juice. Then time for dinner. Then dessert. And then some extra biscuits because I`ve had a hard day.

So I advocate identifying the stress factor and trying to mitigate/get rid of it completely to help mindful eating. Of course, I understand this is not possible for everyone.

Good luck, everyone!
  • DannyYMi54321
    DannyYMi54321 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    iamsharica wrote: »
    If you use to be an emotional eater how did you overcome it? Any tips would help a lot. When I stress I start to eat a lot of junk food and now that I'm eating healthier, stress is a battle ground for me without junk food to cope (just keeping it real lol).

Well, I still am, I have a pretty significant problem with binge eating, at times I've turned to, ok, abused, diuretics and laxatives to compensate for that. It's definitely emotional. I'm slowly learning to see what triggers me, understand how the mechanism works that sets me in that panic mode, and do something to stop it.

In past years, my go to was exercise. I still work out a lot, at least 5-6 times a week pretty hard, but not the way I was in the past ... when coincidentally my body weight and BMI were great, unlike now. I used to ride 100-120 miles a week, that is something I need to get back to doing, 2-3 rides during the week and a longer ride on a weekend morning or evening. Definitely helps with stress, fatigue, attitude and appetite.
  • nickiphillips1
    nickiphillips1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I have always been a stress eater or eaten my feelings. But not anymore.

I have changed my diet and cut out refined sugar. I eat veggies, whole grains, fruits, good fats, fish, and lean meats.

The key is that I don't eat refined sugar and I don't crave it. I have met with a couple of dietitians and learned to balance my carbs with protein so I don't crash.

I do swim competitively 5-6 days a week. I do lift weights once a week. I also do other active things: walk dogs, play volleyball, and other stuff.

I don't eat in my room anymore.

If I take a snack at night (eat out of boredom or stress) I have a small bit of protein and then a whole grain, like 2-4 cups of skinny pop (dark chocolate dusted), it has 43 calories per cup. I don't eat it every night.

I also go to bed really early (lay down at 7 and go to sleep at 8). I get up around 5:30 to swim every morning except Sunday. And Saturday nights I still go to bed early and get up a little later to lift on Sundays.

Since evenings are my stress eating times, this also helps me with stress eating.

I pray as well.

I am rarely hungry as I eat a lot of veggies (6-7 cups of kale in my smoothie after I swim each morning). And I have a lot of whole grains and veggies in my diet.

It can be a daily struggle. But I look at the weight I have lost and all of the hard work I have done and the thought of stress eating doesn't seem worth it.

If I am still super stressed, I will have one square of super dark chocolate (86% cacao). This rarely happens and after the popcorn, it satiates me.
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Exercise and removing things that cause stress. Also, find a low calorie snack you love, that way if you eat, you eat that. The peanut butter delight dannon light and fit greek yogurt is mine. So much better than the candy and sweet tea I use to eat when I was stressed out or upset. Building a routine to eating, helps me eat what I am suppose to and not more as well. I have each meal and snack at the same time. I don't have my yummy yogurt as a treat till after I do my work outs. So it motivates me.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    Staying active helps me. I like to take a walk and drink a big glass of water. I also like to go to these forums and just look around and it helps to motivate me!
  • whatlunasaid
    whatlunasaid Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I've learned my triggers and try hard to avoid/manage them. I think the biggest thing other than that has been giving myself a break.

When I'm frustrated or stressed I drink tea, browse reddit, read webcomics, watch lighthearted movies, text friends, have private time with my boyfriend, browse for healthy recipes, or do a light workout. And if I want a boatload of chocolate one day, well, I'll have it.

When I don't act like eating treat foods is some epic failure, it's easier to get back on track quickly. My boyfriend is a junk food enabler, but I think that's good for me. He says they're just treats to make me smile. This makes it about enjoyment rather than shame or sadness, which means I don't have a shame spiral about it and turn it into a binge. We can go back to our kale salad for the next meal, without incident. (Such a novel concept to me! And he's just now been able to get through to me about this after two years.)

I avoid using body envy and "earning" food as motivators. It's about enjoying life by nourishing my body and mind. Not comparing myself to others, or punishing myself for perceived failures.

This thread is super motivating to me, actually. Thanks everyone! :)
  • DarkSkinVixen
    DarkSkinVixen Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have learned to deal with stress by doing yoga and instead of the fried Oreos and ice cream.
  • Zoltansbeard
    Zoltansbeard Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Great Thread.

I am an Emotional Eater since i was started beeing heavilly bullied in School when i was 12.. im 29 now and fighting with it even now..

I just recently fully realised how Emotional Eating is basically very simillar to a drug addiction..(i can just guess.. never taken hard drugs and i am neither much of a drinker or smoker).. Its the easiest coping mechanism when Stress,Fear or basically anything else that is uncomfortable hits.. and food restores the comfort.. at least for a while..

I try to either occupy myself with playing Guitar or i actually try to figure out what stresses me into eating and try to rather fix the Stress Source than to eat..

Since this is my main Issue i am far from finished with figuring it out.
  • ConquerAndBloom
    ConquerAndBloom Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    This is a really helpful thread, I'm definitely an emotional/boredom eater. I've found drinking cold water or taking a few long, mindful sips off a hot cup of coffee tend to help center me. I'm still working on overcoming it when the pressure is severe, though.