A calorie is not a calorie - kind of!

Options

Replies

• sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Are we now required to have at least one thread every day with some variation of the title " A calorie is not just a calorie" "Is a calorie just a calorie?" "All calories are not created equal" "Are all calories the same?" :dizzy:

And molasses is nasty, unless a small amount is used in cookies. I didn't even like it when we did that "swirl molasses in snow to make candy like the pilgrims did" thing in grade school. Blech.

Pretty sure you're thinking of maple syrup.

Molasses is the stuff left in the bottom of the machine after refining white sugar

"The most common forms of molasses are made from either sugar cane or sugar beet juice which is boiled down to a syrup. Sugar crystals are extracted from the syrup, and the remaining dark liquid is molasses. Molasses can also be made from sorghum, pomegranate, carob, and dates."
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    sjaplo wrote: »
    Are we now required to have at least one thread every day with some variation of the title " A calorie is not just a calorie" "Is a calorie just a calorie?" "All calories are not created equal" "Are all calories the same?" :dizzy:

And molasses is nasty, unless a small amount is used in cookies. I didn't even like it when we did that "swirl molasses in snow to make candy like the pilgrims did" thing in grade school. Blech.

Molasses is the stuff left in the bottom of the machine after refining white sugar

"The most common forms of molasses are made from either sugar cane or sugar beet juice which is boiled down to a syrup. Sugar crystals are extracted from the syrup, and the remaining dark liquid is molasses. Molasses can also be made from sorghum, pomegranate, carob, and dates."

No, I remember doing this as a child too. I'm pretty sure it was a recipe in a "Little House on the Prairie"-themed cookbook.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

It's awesome in barbecue sauce. My homemade Kansas City-style recipe includes (among other things) molasses, honey, dark corn syrup and brown sugar. So the molasses vs. honey thing is a moot point because I use both. :D
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Nope, definitely molasses. The pilgrims used it in everything. You can make molasses yourself, though it's a project and is probably different from molasses you buy at the store.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Hi Annie,
    agree with you - and I am glad you find that remotely helpful. I for one was using honey before but since molasses and honey have pretty much the same caloric and macronutrient composition but differ significantly on a micro level I switched to molasses.

If you adjust for what's an actual serving size (depending on how you use them), they probably don't differ that much. A TBSP of either isn't going to have many nutrients.

Anyway, curious how you use them, as they are both kind of rare for me. I know some like honey in tea, I don't sweeten tea although it's supposed to be good for a sore throat. Molasses doesn't seem to work for that, but since I don't do it am not an expert, of course. Mostly I use honey for recipes (occasional sauce) and again for the small amount I wouldn't sacrifice the specific taste of honey (which is amazing). Molasses is good in some specific baked goods, similarly (I rarely bake anymore, though). Those are pretty much the only ways I use either, so changing it up would make no difference nutritionally.

I think that some people use molasses on pancakes/waffles. Other than that I would think that baking or some sauces would be the most common usage. When I am adhering to my sodium restrictions I make a soy sauce substitute that uses molasses. By itself it doesn't taste so much like soy sauce but in the recipe it only changes the taste minimally. I am lazy about making it so instead I just found a tamari that is 50% less sodium than soy sauce.

Don't confuse "King Syrup" with molasses. I know some folks refer to think of King Syrup as molasses and use it on their pancakes and waffles. Not the same.
  • kimny72
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

It's awesome in barbecue sauce. My homemade Kansas City-style recipe includes (among other things) molasses, honey, dark corn syrup and brown sugar. So the molasses vs. honey thing is a moot point because I use both. :D

OK, I'll allow it! :yum:
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options

No, I remember doing this as a child too. I'm pretty sure it was a recipe in a "Little House on the Prairie"-themed cookbook.

I stand corrected - sounds revolting.

"Gather fresh clean snow into the pans and leave them outside in the cold. In a small saucepan, stir the molasses and sugar together over medium heat with a rubber spatula. Heat the mixture to 245 degrees Fahrenheit (firm ball stage), stirring frequently. Use a candy thermometer to monitor the temperature." Little Houses Molasses Snow Candy

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

"Gather fresh clean snow into the pans and leave them outside in the cold. In a small saucepan, stir the molasses and sugar together over medium heat with a rubber spatula. Heat the mixture to 245 degrees Fahrenheit (firm ball stage), stirring frequently. Use a candy thermometer to monitor the temperature." Little Houses Molasses Snow Candy

I don't think anyone in the history of the world ever really liked this and I feel sorry for any children who had to grow up in a world where this was their candy.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

This is true...
  • kimny72
    Options

I don't think anyone in the history of the world ever really liked this and I feel sorry for any children who had to grow up in a world where this was their candy.

Yeah, butter making was way less sad. Required more physical exertion, but less waiting and tasted better.

I went to a school where the first three years of history class was all pilgrims, all the time. I made molasses candy, butter, a sampler, dressed as Pocahontas, drew cornucopias, re-enacted the first Thanksgiving multiple times. I'm sure it was just like real life in the 1600s LOL.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Many people substitute Ribbon Cane Syrup and Molasses
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Now I have that song from 1776 about the Triangle Trade in my head, too.

Thanks, OP.
  • Krby13
    Krby13 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Krby13 wrote: »
    If everyone is in agreement against the OP's post why does everyone reply basically saying the same thing? If the first 1 or 2 people to reply already put the OP's argument to bed, why do 50 more people feel the need to reply with their own version of the same exact answer? Just to really drill the point home that the OP is wrong? If you want to show you agree with another poster's response to the OP why not just hit the "like" button and move on? Or respond with "ditto" or "agreed" or something like that? As I go through many of these posts it just stands out to me that most discussions are just muddied by everyone actually saying the same thing over and over again.

giphy.gif

Yep!
  • Krby13
    Options
    If everyone is in agreement against the OP's post why does everyone reply basically saying the same thing? If the first 1 or 2 people to reply already put the OP's argument to bed, why do 50 more people feel the need to reply with their own version of the same exact answer? Just to really drill the point home that the OP is wrong? If you want to show you agree with another poster's response to the OP why not just hit the "like" button and move on? Or respond with "ditto" or "agreed" or something like that? As I go through many of these posts it just stands out to me that most discussions are just muddied by everyone actually saying the same thing over and over again.

Or by people white knighting

Not exactly...more like pointing out the obvious (or not obvious to some)
  • comeonnow142857
    comeonnow142857 Posts: 310 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

iteration of things people struggle to grasp is good. forums are an ideal, uh, forum for that.

Also if a thread stops at 3 posts it is dead and nobody will read it. If it matters to people, a given discussion will have a lot of redundancy built in.
  • Krby13
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol, because it may take saying things over and over again for people to get it? :D
    When it comes to nutrition and understanding it, lots of adults are like children. They don't get it till it's repeated a million times.
    If it bothers you, then skip the thread.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Well I wouldn't know to skip it unless I go into the thread and start reading. But, yeah, I usually stop reading about half way through when I realize people are just saying the same things over and over and I'm not getting any more info I can use.
  • Krby13
    Options

For me, I tend to respond at work, so I'll frequently start answering a question, have to stop to work, and will eventually get back to finishing it while on break. By then, a lot of people will have probably said what I've said a bunch of times lol

I just like piling on is all.

:)

Lol. I like that you can admit that. Honesty is always refreshing

• Krby13
    Options

For me, I tend to respond at work, so I'll frequently start answering a question, have to stop to work, and will eventually get back to finishing it while on break. By then, a lot of people will have probably said what I've said a bunch of times lol

That's understandable