Can you still drink DIET pepsi or coke while on a diet?

Options

Replies

• DamieBird
    DamieBird Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I did read the posts, and find it odd that the debate is whether or not artificial sweeteners are "bad" in the sense that they effect the body in ways that will cause weight gain (cravings, metabolized or not, effecting glucose or not, etc.) No matter how you look at it, sodas, especially diet sodas are super processed and are full of chemicals. So drink them, or don't; argue that they cause weight gain or not; but it seems silly to me that people consider them "healthy". I'm of the whole foods = healthy foods camp, though . . . I don't stick to all 'whole' foods myself, but I also don't tell myself that processed stuff is healthy - I just have it if it fits in my calorie goals, enjoy it, and try to make up for missed nutrients elsewhere :wink: !

All that being said, I have a love affair with Diet Dr. Pepper and drink at least one a day and enjoy every dang drop!!
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    nm
  • DamieBird
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    DamieBird wrote: »
    I did read the posts, and find it odd that the debate is whether or not artificial sweeteners are "bad" in the sense that they effect the body in ways that will cause weight gain (cravings, metabolized or not, effecting glucose or not, etc.) No matter how you look at it, sodas, especially diet sodas are super processed and are full of chemicals.!

Yeah! Especially that horrible chemikil dihydrogen monoxide! 100% of the people who drink it will die!

That stuff is the WORST!!! ;)

100% fatality rate for long term consumers!
  • SiegfriedXXL
    SiegfriedXXL Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    karenzehob wrote: »
    I noticed that Diet Coke/Pepsi made me crave sweets

Interesting. I notice that Coke Zero/Pepsi Max can take care of my craving for sweets. I guess it's an individual thing.

So much this. When I needed a salty sweet snack during the start of my weight loss and I was always running out of calories left,drink I would a diet coke and eat a pickle. The flavor contrast satiated me and I was getting negligable calories.

Since then I've learned to manage my calories much better but it helped and I still drink Diet Coke.
  • DamieBird
    Options
    @SusanMFindlay, @cwolfman13, @kimny72
    I apologize for being misleading - I didn't mean to imply that people on this thread had called diet sodas healthy, I was just curious as to why the debate was centered around the weight effects as opposed a debate on whether diet sodas were healthy in general with regards to nutrition and body function, etc. I do see a lot of people in my personal life who think that low-fat/low-cal is synonymous with "healthy" at all costs and they get next to no nutrition. The mindset drives me nuts!

As I said, I'm no stickler for health foods and I love my Diet Dr. Peppers (and Diet Cherry Vanilla Coke Zeros if I'm lucky enough to find a Moon Machine!!), I just know that they are NOT a healthy choice and I enjoy them anyway :D.

Thanks for the feedback.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I apologize for being misleading - I didn't mean to imply that people on this thread had called diet sodas healthy, I was just curious as to why the debate was centered around the weight effects as opposed a debate on whether diet sodas were healthy in general with regards to nutrition and body function, etc. I do see a lot of people in my personal life who think that low-fat/low-cal is synonymous with "healthy" at all costs and they get next to no nutrition. The mindset drives me nuts!

As I said, I'm no stickler for health foods and I love my Diet Dr. Peppers (and Diet Cherry Vanilla Coke Zeros if I'm lucky enough to find a Moon Machine!!), I just know that they are NOT a healthy choice and I enjoy them anyway :D.

Thanks for the feedback.

So what about them makes them unhealthy?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Thanks for the feedback.

But why are they not a healthy choice?

This discussion focused on weight because that's what the OP asked. They asked if you could drink diet soda and still lose weight.
  • Kristinapedia
    Kristinapedia Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I love to drink coke or pepsi, is it okay to drink it still while dieting? It has 0 calories so it won't add anything to my calorie deficit.

Everything in moderation! So go ahead... enjoy your diet coke. I know I do. I use splenda. Daily. 2 in my coffee in the morning and 2-4 more during the day for herbal tea and homemade iced tea. and one packet on cereal if i have that. I've been using it for years, and i've always lost weight while using it.
  • ABballet4227
    ABballet4227 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    It's not place to say what you cannot drink but I really wouldn't. The calories in drinks like that are empty with no nutritional value and even without sugar the drinks with substitutes are still unhealthy. Maybe try some tea or lemon water instead.