Need advice from the ladies... (birth control help!)

Options
Hello all. I've been on birth control pills for around 13 years (I'm 32, stopped taking them to have my 3 kids) and my gynecologist wants me to change birth control methods because I had a few bad migraines with auras, which puts me at a higher risk of stroke while on the pill. Otherwise I'm in very good health, just trying to lose some weight (down 17.8 from January 12!). I just had a physical and blood work done because of the frequent migraines for a month and everything was great otherwise.

The problem is I just don't know what to choose. My doctor gave me info on 3 types. Has anyone tried Mirena (IUD), Paragard (copper IUD) or Nexplanon (stick implant in arm)? Thoughts? Advice? I need to get off the pills because of the occasional migraine with aurus puts me at a higher stroke risk. I'd love to get away from the hormones. When I did quit pills to have my kids, I'd always lose weight and have a great pregnancy so I ended up weighing the same at 9 months pregnant as I did when I got pregnant. And then after I had the baby I would weigh lower than I had before. Months after having the baby and getting back on birth control pills is when my weight would shoot up. Very frustrating. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Replies

• JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Ugh. I'm watching this, because I'm in the exact same place -me and hormones don't get along because of my migraines and I also seem somewhat more prone to depression/anxiety on certain hormones, and that's the same reason I haven't been willing to try Mirena or Nexplanon.

I had a Paragard for several years, and I actually LOVED it. A lot of people have increased bleeding and cramping during their periods, but my periods were never horrible to begin with, so the slight increase didn't bother me, and non-hormonal birth control was a damned dream come true. But then I had an ectopic pregnancy, it ruptured, caused a lot of internal bleeding, and I could have died. That wasn't exactly caused by the Paragard - but there is a somewhat increased risk of ectopic pregnancy, and knowing what I know now - I wouldn't get another one. If you explore that avenue, do some research and make sure you know the risks, and then don't EVER ignore any warning signs.

We have enough kids, so the current discussion in my household is a vasectomy, but we just haven't gotten around to it. I'm sorry to say that we're currently using nothing. I only have one fallopian tube and I've got my cycles pretty well figured out by now, so we're using that knowledge to reduce the risk of pregnancy, but I mean, it could happen and I pretty much freak out every month. We need to make a decision.
  • cprbrat17
    cprbrat17 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Ive heard bad things about mirena. And i also haf it recomended to me by my gyon and the whole thing felt like i was getting ready to give birth again. Ended up not getting it.
  • Megan91384
    Megan91384 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I would prefer that my husband just get a vasectomy but, as of now, he's resisting pretty strongly. lol
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    I got preggo on the copper IUD. I am anti IUD now.
  • Megan91384
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »
    Ugh. I'm watching this, because I'm in the exact same place -me and hormones don't get along because of my migraines and I also seem somewhat more prone to depression/anxiety on certain hormones, and that's the same reason I haven't been willing to try Mirena or Nexplanon.

I had a Paragard for several years, and I actually LOVED it. A lot of people have increased bleeding and cramping during their periods, but my periods were never horrible to begin with, so the slight increase didn't bother me, and non-hormonal birth control was a damned dream come true. But then I had an ectopic pregnancy, it ruptured, caused a lot of internal bleeding, and I could have died. That wasn't exactly caused by the Paragard - but there is a somewhat increased risk of ectopic pregnancy, and knowing what I know now - I wouldn't get another one. If you explore that avenue, do some research and make sure you know the risks, and then don't EVER ignore any warning signs.

We have enough kids, so the current discussion in my household is a vasectomy, but we just haven't gotten around to it. I'm sorry to say that we're currently using nothing. I only have one fallopian tube and I've got my cycles pretty well figured out by now, so we're using that knowledge to reduce the risk of pregnancy, but I mean, it could happen and I pretty much freak out every month. We need to make a decision.

Yikes! Glad you are ok!!! I was leaning towards Paragard because it has no hormones but all the risks freak me out! I just have no clue what to do but know I don't want to possibly have a stroke because of the pill. I think I'll try talking to my husband more about a vasectomy but the whole thing freaks him out, even though we know many men who have had it done and say it wasn't bad at all for them.
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    JeepHair77 wrote: »

The procedure was quick and my husband played hockey the next day, lol. We've had no regrets going that route :)
  • Megan91384
    Options
    I got preggo on the copper IUD. I am anti IUD now.

Good to know. Thanks! This decision is so tough....
  • Megan91384
    Options
    YalithKBK wrote: »
    Did you ever think about getting permanently sterilized instead? Are you planning on having any other kids? I got my tubes tied to avoid issues with hormones and so I wouldn't have to pay for pills until I'm 60.

We aren't planning on having any more kids but it's not set in stone quite yet. If he did agree to a vasectomy, we would be at the point where we know that we are for sure done.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    The effects that different hormone formulations have on different women is so varied, it's almost pointless to try and get a reccommendation.

I was on a combination pill (Mircette) for 8 years with no problems, though they wanted to switch me to progestin only because they (wrongly) believed my blood pressure was high (i get it checked regularly and it's only ever high in their office. I showed records but they dismissed them). Sigh.

So they wrote me a script for progestin only pills, but reading the pamphlet they gave me as they ushered me out the door, the margin for human error was so riduculous compared to the combo pill that I refused and went with Skyla instead (basically a slightly smaller version of Mirena that only lasts 3 years). It took two tries to get it in (might not be as much of an issue if you've given birth), but I've had it for a year and have no complaints. It took a long time for my periods to get right, but it's all good now. Many women hate it and have it removed, however. Also, unskilled clinicians can do a lot of damage inserting them. My first try was with an aprn who insisted that my os was too narrow. The second time it was done by a real doctor who said that my os was fine and the other woman wasn't comfortable with the procedure and needed to "suck it up." I disagree with that assertion, and will always ask for that doctor to have it replaced.

So, that's my experience with Skyla. If you google it you'll find plenty of horror stories, but that's the case with any hormonal contraception.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I've had the copper IUD on and off for 8 years (took it out to have more kids). I love it, almost forgot I even have something up there. The only thing I hate about it is having it put in, that's a little uncomfortable.
  • Megan91384
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    I loved my Mirena. My husband has since had a vasectomy, so I'm done worrying about birth control, but Mirena was mostly pretty awesome. Paraguard might be safer for you, though, as it's zero hormones. As for your freaked out husband... ask him how much you having a stroke would freak him out. I mean, having my vulva torn up by birth freaked me out. Still did it twice.

haha. Yeah, child birth is awesome, huh? lol. I had a c section and then 2 VBAC'S. Gained 10 pounds my last 2 pregnancies and they weighed 9lb 5oz and 9lb 8oz each. Women are tough.

That's been the discussion lately. My risk of stroke versus his nerves getting a vasectomy. He of course doesn't want anything bad to happen to me but trying to come to a solution has been.... difficult. I've been the one dealing with birth control issues for the past 13 years so I'd love if he could take care of it for the next forever years with a simple procedure. I swear he's more nervous talking about a possible vasectomy than he was getting his 2 back surgeries and a spinal fusion surgery. Ugh.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Men are very protective of their balls.

You could agree to try *one* more thing - either an implant or IUD - and if that doesn't work out, it might be time for him to pop a xanax and get on with it. I did the mirena after our last kid, just to buy a few years. I actually ended up expelling it (which sucked, but wasn't a huge deal) so our timeline got bumped up. He wasn't thrilled (who would be?), but birth control all around kind of sucks.

the upside of all the options you listed is that they're easily reversible. Try the one that sounds the best to you, give it at least 6 months, and then you can decide if it's working out or time to move on.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    So I can't speak to artificial methods, but if you want to get off hormones and go the natural route, there are a few highly effective methods you can check out. I personally use a sympto-thermal with hormonal cross check (I use the clear blue easy monitor to check estrogen rise/lh surge) and plot the signs on the Kindara app. I've used this method to get pregnant when we were ready and to avoid pregnancy (using it ten years).

"Taking Charge of Your Fertility " would be a good book to get started with sympto thermal. The creighton university's website is great for info on NaPro technology method, and Marquette University's for the hormonal method (the monitor. Also a great FB group with lots of info).
  • samanthacoates2013
    samanthacoates2013 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, apologies if someone has already mentioned this however I am really shocked that if you suffer from migraines with auras your doctor did not take you off the pill you were on which I imagine was a combined pill. As soon as I had my first aura migraine I was moved off Femodette which I absolutely loved as it had no side affects and my weight was really stable on it and was moved on to Cerelle which is a progesterone only pill and therefore much safer for migraine sufferers. I myself have also looked in to other methods but always been a bit put off by those on offer as I cant stand the idea of the implant or coil (both really freak me out for some reason). best of luck finding something that works for you.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with the "Taking Charge of Your Fertility" recommendation. I used it and kept a meticulous chart when I was trying to get pregnant, and yes, that knowledge is giving me more comfort now, in trying not to. And I suspect that there's probably an app now where you can chart pretty easily.

Shoot - I'm logging food and exercise meticulously. What's one more log?
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I had the Nexplanon - I was one of those who had a permanent period on it. More or less, I bled in intermittent flows (meaning not just spotting but there were light days) for 8 months. I loved it otherwise - my mood was better, problems with other hormonal controls were non-existent for me. But the constant period wasn't worth it.