Getting no where

Options

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    saladams1 wrote: »
    Thanks. That is encouraging to hear. I'm getting angry at people dissing me for not weighing EVERYTHING I eat! I'm 145lbs and I'd like to be back to my 'normal' 136. I'd like to continue to have a healthy relationship with food, not an obsessional one.

Nobody is dissing you. That's why I gave the second option of cutting down on your portions because you mentioned your history with food. I will say it isn't obsessive. A few minutes a day of making sure I'm eating exactly the amount I'm logging is worth it, imo. And some people only use it to get a better gauge on what a portion size looks like then put it away and can eyeball what they're eating. Sadly I'm not lucky enough to be able to do that.
  • saladams1
    saladams1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Care to explain?
  • saladams1
    Options
    Naturally. I've even taken my intake down to ensure any little sneaky over eats are actually accounted for. I'm well aware that I could be in a little denial so I've lowered my calorie goal to 1000 per day where as it was 1200. I'm also burning around 700 5x a week at the gym

First of all why are you only eating 1000 calories? 1200 is the minimum for ladies. However, since from what I read you're not weighing your food you're probably eating more than a thousand calories. Secondly, what workout are you doing that you think you're burning 700 calories? That does sound like an overestimation.

Personally, I think you're not progressing as you would like because you're probably not being accurate in your intake of food. You're eating more than you realize. If you don't have a food scale buy one, and start using it. This should help you out. If you input your information into MyFitnessPal eat the calories information provided to you.
    If you share your height and weight we may be able to help you out more as well.

Congrats on quitting smoking as well.

I'm 5ft6 and146 lbs. if that helps
  • saladams1
    Options
    There's also no need to be spiteful in your response to people.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    No one is dissing you, they're giving you advice, chill out.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    moshemel wrote: »
    ...Don't be too worried about the number on the scale. You're probably gaining muscle.

I doubt it. At least not on the deficit she claims she's on.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Which post do you feel is spiteful? I just don't see it.
  • Misspinklift
    Misspinklift Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? Some would disagree with me and some would agree with me, but if you eat back your exercise calories, then your in maintain mode.

I'm not sure about your diet and how your been eating, but try cutting out soda and alcohol and limit bread. I'm not saying don't have bread, have it. What I'm saying is be more aware.

Sometimes what we think we are doing right is actually wrong. Good luck!
  • jackieTR46
    jackieTR46 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I gave up smoking at your age and put on 15lbs very quickly.To be honest I've never got back to my previous "smoker weight". I believe some people's metabolism is effected more by nicotine than other people and I'm one of them and perhaps you are too. Concentrate on being healthy and don't worry so much about what you weigh, it is still early days of being a non-smoker. Maybe with the money you will save you not smoking you will be able to go on a spa holiday to help you lose the weight. Be kind to yourself, you have done really well!
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

Uh... who's being spiteful? I can't see any spiteful replies. Report them if there are.

All I see are (mostly) helpful posts based on experience and science with a few recommendations for unnecessarily restrictive unnecesary diets.
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    No one here is dissing you from what I've read. It's solid advice that they're giving you. And I agree with the others that eating 1000 calories isn't good and weighing food is quite helpful. I used to weigh my food quite a lot but after losing 2 stone I sometimes just estimate now, and weighing your food isn't an obsession unless you make it one.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? Some would disagree with me and some would agree with me, but if you eat back your exercise calories, then your in maintain mode.

All depends how you get to your calorie limit. For me, I maintain and ~2500 calories. I'm trying to lose 2 lb per week, so that would be 1500 calories. But I also exercise for ~ 500 calories. So I should be eating 2000 calories to match my NEAT (what MFP uses) plus exercise calories to lose 2 lbs er week. If I don't eat them back, I would be seriously under eating and could do harm to myself.

If you get to your limit with TDEE, then that is a different story

I'm not sure about your diet and how your been eating, but try cutting out soda and alcohol and limit bread. I'm not saying don't have bread, have it. What I'm saying is be more aware.

You CAN fit it all into your calories, but you have to make some choices. I have bread occasionally, cut out pop and still drink beer, wine etc.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Nope. Not how MFP works. MFP works out your deficit without exercise. You will not Maintain eating a portion of exercise calories back. MFP is nortorious for high calorie burns, which is why it's recommended to eat a portion of them back
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    When i first started on here i thought weighing all of my food was obsessive, and I'd never be one of "those" people, plus i thought weighing everything would take soooo much time.... I was wrong on both counts.

After a few months i relented and bought a food scale, this is the time that i finally started losing weight consistently because my food logging was actually accurate instead of guesstimates. When i go back and look at my diary when i first started here (pre food scale), i hang my head in shame. What i thought was Ace logging was so far off it's laughable!!

You don't need to weigh your food forever, do it for as long as it takes to get a feel for the correct portion sizes. What you're doing now is NOT working for you, it's time to step up and knuckle down, it'll be worth it when you start losing weight, i promise :smile: