What do you avoid?

Replies

• brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Kale... ewwww
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    the candied walnuts at work......i fail to avoid them daily...but i try so friggin hard
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited April 2017
    I avoid buying things that I know I can't stay out of. Potato chips. I will eat half a bag in the blink of an eye. So yes I avoid them, and other salty high-calorie crunch snacks. Like Cheetos - holy crap are they good, but no way am I buying them. Went to a birthday party last night - pizza, ice cream and cake. I had one slice of pizza, no crust. No cake, no ice cream. No beer. No room in my budget for that stuff. And frankly, I have no desire to eat a small amount during the day to save room for such high-calorie stuff. It's simply not worth it to me.

So yes...I avoid plenty. But that's just called eating within my budget.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    I didn't learn to avoid any food from tracking here, but I did learn to avoid milk sometime last year. I can drink it and have no problems (that I know of) digesting it, I just honestly prefer almond milk (and it's less caloric). It just seems.. creamier. That doesn't mean I won't say no to a bottle of locally produced chocolate milk, though.. although that has to be meted out carefully otherwise, no one else in my household will get any. :wink:

About the only thing I can't tolerate (legitimately) in large doses are deep-fried foods. I love them, but they don't love me. I have a digestive disorder (that I'm still sorting out) and that's definitely a trigger for some unhappy times.

Other than that, so long as I'm careful, I eat just about anything that sounds/looks/smells good.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    abbeamer wrote: »
    People. Cannibalism is frowned upon in this culture.

It's also a good way to get yourself a prion disease that will destroy your brain, make you insane, and ultimately kill you.
  • Sassifrass76
    Sassifrass76 Posts: 21 Member
    Most importantly for me was to learn to avoid people that are trying to sabotage my efforts for whatever reason.

Foods that I avoid. I cannot seem to control myself with avocados, they are just too calorie dense. So I just don't buy them anymore. Bacon, I love bacon, and avocado together. It's like a nemesis.

People are the worst though.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Chips/Crisps, Certain candy bars, any snack food over 300 cals per serving. Those 300 could be better spent on other foods
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Most importantly for me was to learn to avoid people that are trying to sabotage my efforts for whatever reason.

Foods that I avoid. I cannot seem to control myself with avocados, they are just too calorie dense. So I just don't buy them anymore. Bacon, I love bacon, and avocado together. It's like a nemesis.

People are the worst though.

Neither food seems all that bad though. Hopefully you'll get to a point where you can enjoy them again without the worry of overeating :3
  • creyes4182
    creyes4182 Posts: 29 Member
    Just carbs and sugar, I can eat as much cheese as I want ;p
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited April 2017
    I basically eat IIFYM, but my macros are more limited than most. ;) I eat low carb/high fat/moderate protein since that's had some great health benefits for me.

Once I cut back on carbs and then gradually reintroduced some of them, I was surprised to discover that sugary foods tend to be what triggers my reflux and grains (especially wheat) were what had been triggering my joint pain, so I seriously limit those even now at maintenance.

I do still eat plenty of delicious foods though; besides veggies and some fruit, I eat steak, bacon, cheese, heavy cream in my coffee, (bunless) burgers, dark chocolate, peanut butter, etc.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    i avoid avoidance....Second i tell myself no my body is like eyyy no were eating that
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    The only thing I avoid is overeating.

Well said, pretty much the only 'rule' I follow and its worked well for me :)
  • princess0lexi
    princess0lexi Posts: 3,938 Member
    edited April 2017
    fast food,junk food, desserts and pastries, high fat food, processed meat,candy, high calorie foods
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    If avoid is the same as eliminate:
    Diet foods and foods I don't like. I like most food so this will typically be low fat, reduced salt or sugar free versions of normal food, and badly prepared food, typically bland because of attempt to cook with too little fat, sugar, salt.

If avoid isn't the same as eliminate, just foods I have trouble moderating and therefore only eat occasionally:
    Cake, cookies, desserts, ice cream, chips, other salty snacks, fast food, candy, chocolate.

If it isn't about avoiding, just what we've stopped eating or liking or needing:
    Juice, soda, most readymeals, sugar in tea.
  • daves05
    daves05 Posts: 23 Member
    I try to avoid any processed foods. When I first started losing weight I realized that five Pringles were just as many calories as a whole potato. That whole potato is going to keep me full a lot longer than 5 Pringles
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    edited April 2017
    If I'm really trying to lose weight I avoid cinnamon buns and cheetos. I cannot have just one serving of these things.
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    I had to avoid alcohol. I was banking calories meant for nutrition so I could drink, then have too many drinks, then eat ALL the food.
  • IrisFlute
    IrisFlute Posts: 88 Member
    I avoid drinking anything with calories in it. Also avoid anything made with white flour, as well as white rice. And almost anything with sugar added to it. I also don't eat much fruit or potatoes, because they're pretty high in carbs.

My personal style is to seriously restrict calories and reduce carbs while I'm losing weight. Maintenance is a whole different thing, and I eat modest amounts of everything while maintaining.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    crb426 wrote: »

But he didn't ask what you eliminate, just what you avoid.

So? for the purposes of this discussion they're sufficiently synonymous. Eg. I've eliminated/avoided bread. I mean the same thing whichever word I might pick that moment.

I think successful avoidance is elimination. If you haven't successfully avoided something you, you've probably just reduced your intake.
  • Rosyone
    Rosyone Posts: 74 Member
    I avoid potatoes other than sweet potatoes because they trigger cravings for sweets. I love baked potatoes, and they do fill me up - for a while. But 3 or 4 hours I'm later I'm fighting the urge to go to the kitchen and bake a batch of brownies. I don't have the problem with sweet potatoes or grain products, though there are a few breads like bagels and biscuits that I limit because their high calorie hit. I don't have any problems with cheese either and eat it nearly every day.