What weight am I??

Options
2»

Replies

• antdelsa
    antdelsa Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    ^ anything you weigh is your true weight at that moment

Weighing first thing in the morning may well be your lightest weight of the day - but it isn't any more a true weight than any other time.

My definition of "true weight" is what my body weighs without excess, water retention, food in my stomach etc. I mean i can accept that the definition is subjective but I'd rather guage my process without the inconsistent variables as much as possible for a value as close to true as it can be
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,071 Member
    Options
    That is a consistent weight - yes, weigh as same time of day in same circumstances to minimise variations

Not a 'true weight' as if the other weights are false.
  • antdelsa
    Options
    That is a consistent weight - yes, weigh as same time of day in same circumstances to minimise variations

Not a 'true weight' as if the other weights are false.

In a way they are false, if for some reason you're 5lbs heavier because of water retention, something that can be quickly and easily corrected then thats a false value, fat loss is most peoples primary goal, fat oxidation isn't a quick and easy thing, so some people may see the number fluctuate by a few pounds because they are not eliminating these inconsistent variables as much as they can from their reading and then they get discouraged. Or feel as though they need to change things when it could simply be they weighed themselves at the wrong time. Again "true value" is subjective and really a matter of semantics, but there is a difference between getting an accurate and consistent reading and getting a reading that is inaccurate due to inconsistent variables
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,071 Member
    Options
    Semantics perhaps.

I wouldn't say they are false, more part of natural fluctuations.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    Step slowly away from the scale.
  • antdelsa
    Options
    Semantics perhaps.

I agree to a certain extent, natural yes but they can also be a huge reflection if dietary flaws, such as sodium intake, not enough water, etc. Etc. Excessive water retention can be quickly corrected with small changes, so thats why i like to weigh myself the way i do because I like to guage my weight as close as i can to be able to attribute it to muscle gain or fat loss, the additional stuff isn't too much of a big issue for me
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,741 Member
    Options
    antdelsa wrote: »
    Semantics perhaps.

I agree to a certain extent, natural yes but they can also be a huge reflection if dietary flaws, such as sodium intake, not enough water, etc. Etc. Excessive water retention can be quickly corrected with small changes, so thats why i like to weigh myself the way i do because I like to guage my weight as close as i can to be able to attribute it to muscle gain or fat loss, the additional stuff isn't too much of a big issue for me

I weigh myself daily, and agree with the schedule you suggest, and for basically the "most consistency" reasons you mention.

But when even a still-healthy amount of extra sodium or fibrous veggies can register a couple of extra pounds the next day, I see no point in trying to minimize random fluctuations, or worry about "true weight". It's an unnecessary additional source of stress, and possibly unhappiness. IMO, it's more helpful just to understand the process.

Fat or muscle gain/loss makes itself evident on a longer time scale. If one patiently, routinely does the right things (calorie deficit, progressive resistance exercise), those results will be there.

Everyone's different, I guess.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    Oh good grief...