Is maintenance REALLY harder than losing weight?

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    Options
    I find it harder.

I found losing weight quite easy.

But with maintenance, I find it difficult to find balance the fuel needs of long distance cycling with eating at maintenance.
  • swim777
    swim777 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    adipace815 wrote: »
    I have been enjoying the additional food. It's been nice to add a few things back to my diet that I couldn't budget calories for while I was "cutting" like peanut butter and some real starches. I think what makes it the most difficult is changing the mind set. Setting new goals is a great idea, but my new goals are not as tangible as that weight loss goal we all set for ourselves. New goals like recomposition, physical fitness, muscle tone, etc are not as measurable. The most frustrating goal of all is the weight range we set for ourselves in maintenance. I have changed mine a bunch but sooner or later when it settles in to a healthy range, I can see myself really obsessing over it. My weight is all over the place in maintenance within a very small window. I find I am constantly adjusting calories when it looks like I have had a small gain or loss. I think the word for maintenance is not that it is more "difficult"but maybe it's more "frustrating". We all enjoyed our success losing weight but none of us want to go through that again so we are now determined to keep it off, and doing that can be very frustrating.

I agree!!!!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I think it's pretty easy, but I had and have many goals that are outside the scope of weight management...doing the things I need to do to achieve those goals result in pretty much natural weight management.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I think it's pretty easy, but I had and have many goals that are outside the scope of weight management...doing the things I need to do to achieve those goals result in pretty much natural weight management.

That's a great point. You made NEW goals. And those new goals complement weight management.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    wpg2mpls wrote: »
    It's also not as inspiring to see the scale stay the same. When it is consistently going down you get excited and motivated to keep going.
    I have programmed my brain to get slightly excited over staying within my range.
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Harder for me. I still have the appetite I had when I was 30 lbs heavier, but I need to eat 400 calories less than that to maintain.
    I am so happy that my eating habits and expectations have been tweaked to fit my new, smaller body.
  • IrisFlute
    IrisFlute Posts: 88 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Maintenance felt easier to me because I didn't have to spend as much time being hungry.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,979 Member
    Options
    It has been harder for me so far. I am having trouble figuring out my maintenance calories. I'm so much more active now I need more calories than I expected to need.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Honestly I have no idea.. because every time I try to maintain/recomp I always end up veering away from it with other goals, so I guess, yes, for me it is more difficult. But.. I think I am finally going to attempt and stick to it after this last bulk/cut cycle.. we'll see.
  • cmoll520
    cmoll520 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I have been in maintenance for 1.5 years (after losing 50+ lbs over 6 months). I don't find maintenance that hard. It's definitely not as rewarding but have found a good balance on intake and activity level. I still splurge now and then. I keep my weight to a 3-5lb range.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    wpg2mpls wrote: »
    It's also not as inspiring to see the scale stay the same. When it is consistently going down you get excited and motivated to keep going.
    I have programmed my brain to get slightly excited over staying within my range.
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Harder for me. I still have the appetite I had when I was 30 lbs heavier, but I need to eat 400 calories less than that to maintain.
    I am so happy that my eating habits and expectations have been tweaked to fit my new, smaller body.

wow good for you
  • Rosie_McA
    Rosie_McA Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I've been at maintenance for almost two years and my own experience is that losing weight was easier. This was mainly due to me being better motivated and focused. Now I'm maintaining I often fail to log and this usually results in me hitting the cakes and cookies. I admit that I don't have the greatest self-discipline.
  • faramelee
    faramelee Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I think it's hard if you're planning on going back to the type of diet and lifestyle you had before and expect to keep the weight off. I overhauled so much during the process that I can't imagine going back to what I used to eat, how little I moved and my general outlook on life. After 31 months of maintenance I'm falling into the 'it's different' camp, it's certainly not harder (for me). Everyone has different journeys though.....

I wish you the best of luck :)