Atkins Support Group

This thread is for Atkins participants only!
If you don't have anything nice to say.... please don't say anything at all.
This thread has not been created for negative responses...
I do not want to hear your "two cents" on how you do not support this diet.

In other news,
I would like to start an ongoing thread where Atkins participants can support each other!
A place where you can update us on your progress, provide recipes and ask questions...
I was just apart of a 22+ times turn over thread and it was like we were a mini family.
Sadly, I am taking a break from that diet to move into an Atkins lifestyle. So let's do this!
Update often and comment often :)

Replies

• pkarim
    pkarim Posts: 171
    I just looked at phase 1 and I am really excited to start :)
  • SparkleLisa
    SparkleLisa Posts: 42 Member
    yep! going grocery shopping this weekend! been cutting waaay back on carbs this week and once I can shop, I'm on board! :) May not do only 20 net carbs, but definitely shooting for under 45. I know I still hit ketosis at that mark.

oh my 2 cents - it's sad that we have to post a disclaimer on a web site that is supposed to be for motivation and support - not for judging!
  • Jump1979man
    Jump1979man Posts: 23 Member
    I have a friend who lost over 100 lbs doing the Atkins diet. He has told me he ate like a pound of bacon a day doing this diet. I find it so hard to believe that you can do that but it works....he is proof.

He also worked out really heavily which you must do regardless of any diet. Its pretty amazing what you can do when you basically add protein and cut out carbs.
  • Leanne1795
    Leanne1795 Posts: 186
    Atkins has been a God send for me. As well as lowering my weight it has brought my diabetes under such tight control that I am now taking less insulin than #I ever have before and my blood pressure and cholesterol are lower too.
    For anyone that doesn't believe that these types of diets can work watch " Big Fat Fiasco" on You Tube. It is in 5 small parts and will change your mind! :)
  • RocheleLynn
    RocheleLynn Posts: 265 Member
    Yay a few more people. I'm glad to see my few Atkins friends joined who I posted this link to :)
    Post it to your Atkins friends to join!

Leanne- that is so awesome that your diabetes is under control- I'm sure there is not a lot of people who can honestly say that. I was watching Biggest Loser the other day and this girl was talking about how she has had type 2 diabetes for about 20 years and has never done anything to take care of it because "she didn't have any symptoms that got in the way of her daily life." Except in the next frame shes talking about how from her ankles down she is completely numb (which is a disease that happens when you don't control your diabetes-- which i'm sure you know)! So crazy. Anyway, congrats on your loss- keep us updatd!

Jump- wow 100 pounds that's awesome. I would like to lose about 40 pounds... I'd like to be around 110 :) Are you doing Atkins?

Lisa- I need to get some ketosis strips -- I can't remember my numbers from high school... they have probably changed since then anyway since that was 7 years ago. ew 7 years ago..sad. hahha
    Let us know if your making and tasty meals or treats-- :)
    And yes it is very sad... But so far so good!!

pkarim- I just started too! Yay! we'll be on the same track :)
  • suzieduh
    suzieduh Posts: 196 Member
    im starting phase 2 on monday! i always bring packed breakfast/lunch/snacks into the office - any advice what i can bring that will keep me under the 20g a day limits?
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Yay! I'm on phase 1. I was on Atkins several years ago and lost about 80lb on it. Fast forward through lots of health issues and here I am again :) 10lb down so far in the past 2 weeks. I'm a gastric bypass person as well, so my diet is a little funky due to the fact that I just can't eat a lot. But it's working for me!
  • dittiepe
    By the way, I am working on a website that will have lots of low carb recipes. If you have any recipe ideas you'd like added, just let me know. The website is http://blog.pittsburgh-diet-guru.com

Suzie: I suggest making some breakfast quiches to take with you, as well as veggies for snacks with a little bit of peanut butter or cream cheese..
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    I'm on a low carb diet. I suppose it's a lot like Atkins, but I don't do the phases, per se. I keep my carbs around 30g per day. I've also found watching that I don't go extremely high with protein helps. I've read that any more than 40% of calories can be detrimental, as the body might process the excess protein as carbs. And too much fat, and the body will just burn that as fuel instead of what's in the fat cells.

So it's a tricky diet. I'm still creating a deficit, but I can't just abandon tracking my calories and other nutrients and still expect to lose. But I feel fantastic on this diet. A lot more energy. No more carb comas. It's not the diet for everyone, but it's the best diet for me.

The key has been for me not gaining the weight back. This is my 3 time trying it, and this time, it's forever. I just can't go back to eating a traditional diet. My body just doesn't DO carbs very well.
  • Firesign
    Firesign Posts: 169 Member
    Awesome!! I'm 17lbs down ....phase 2 Atkin's :happy:
  • elfie9863
    elfie9863 Posts: 337
    Bump because I don't know how to "bookmark" anything...
  • shanice_22
    shanice_22 Posts: 202 Member
    I've been thinking about starting the Atkins diet, but would like some advice.

I love bread, rice, pasta, etc and am wondering if this is the diet for me, because I love carb-rich foods so much but at the same time I'm not seeing the results I want so wonder if Atkins would boost my weight loss and progress. Also, on the Atkins website, under phase 1, there is no fruit included in the 'allowable foods' list, but I love fruit (more than veggies) and don't know if I would cope.

Also, I have a lot of these carb-rich foods in the house right now. I've got english muffins, tortilla wraps, brown bread (in the freezer), brown rice and wholewheat pasta. I also have rice noodles and beansprouts (not sure if the beansprouts are high in carbs or not?) in the fridge. I don't want to just start the Atkins diet and waste all these foods, so would be it best just to finish eating these foods and ease myself into the diet, especially since I eat a lot of carbs at the moment (and may have negative side effects if I cut them off completely straight away)? I know that later in the Atkins diet you can introduce the brown rice and things like that back in to your diet, so I don't mind not scoffing on the rice and pasta all at once as obviously this last for awhile, but I really do not want to waste the other stuff.

Is it possible for me to give up carbs, or should I just stick with eating my carb-rich foods but making sure they are purely wholegrain and in moderation?

Any help and advice would be appreciated :-) if easier you can private message me or add me as a friend

Also, well done to those of you that are doing the diet and your weight loss results so far.

xx
  • dittiepe
    I've been thinking about starting the Atkins diet, but would like some advice.

I love bread, rice, pasta, etc and am wondering if this is the diet for me, because I love carb-rich foods so much but at the same time I'm not seeing the results I want so wonder if Atkins would boost my weight loss and progress. Also, on the Atkins website, under phase 1, there is no fruit included in the 'allowable foods' list, but I love fruit (more than veggies) and don't know if I would cope.

Also, I have a lot of these carb-rich foods in the house right now. I've got english muffins, tortilla wraps, brown bread (in the freezer), brown rice and wholewheat pasta. I also have rice noodles and beansprouts (not sure if the beansprouts are high in carbs or not?) in the fridge. I don't want to just start the Atkins diet and waste all these foods, so would be it best just to finish eating these foods and ease myself into the diet, especially since I eat a lot of carbs at the moment (and may have negative side effects if I cut them off completely straight away)? I know that later in the Atkins diet you can introduce the brown rice and things like that back in to your diet, so I don't mind not scoffing on the rice and pasta all at once as obviously this last for awhile, but I really do not want to waste the other stuff.

Is it possible for me to give up carbs, or should I just stick with eating my carb-rich foods but making sure they are purely wholegrain and in moderation?

Any help and advice would be appreciated :-) if easier you can private message me or add me as a friend

Also, well done to those of you that are doing the diet and your weight loss results so far.

xx

I'm the type of person that does not get along well with carbs. No matter how well I watch what I eat, if I eat a "normal" carb heavy diet, I will either not lose or will gain weight.
    If you worry about the drastic cut on the foods for phase 1, you might want to try the South beach diet. It's low carb, but it's also Healthy carb which makes it a little different than the Atkins approach.

In either case, I would recommend going through all of your carbs now and not having the temptation in the house when you begin your phase 1(in either Atkins or SB), because you will go through a craving bout during those 2 weeks. Better they not be there.

Best of luck in whatever you decide :)
  • RocheleLynn
    How often do you use keytone strips?
    Morning? mid day? evening? several times a day?
  • RocheleLynn
    dittiepe- Wow 80 pounds. wonderful. congrats on the second round of your journey :) I'm excited to have several vets here to guide us newbies! :)

Qarol-- that's a very interesting diet. sounds like a pretty good lifestyle change. I am so glad to no longer have carb comas- I didn't even realize I was having them before starting my previous diet haha glad to have you!

Firesign-- great job! whats your favorite thing to eat on P2?

shanice_22-- glad to have you.... I don't really have advice for you but you could either donate the food...even to a friend? or maybe just put them all in the freezer and eat them in moderation? that's what i would say.

O yeah-- how about.... instead of bumping. lets include something about yourself...your progress... ect :)
  • dittiepe
    I actually don't use the ketone strips. I am planning on getting some, but I can tell when I'm in ketosis because I'll sweat for no reason. In fact, sitting here on the chair, with the ceiling fan blowing on me, I'm perspiring a little! But I've done Atkins enough to know that's my sign. Though I'll get the strips just to make sure :)
  • Alyx128
    Alyx128 Posts: 92 Member
    I am interested in starting atkins, but I don't have the book or the money for ketone strips. I am a broke college student. I have found the information about what foods you can eat on each phase of the diet on the Atkins web site. I also found this little tool on the internet where you put your daily calorie count and it tells you how much fat, protein, and carbs for various diets. For the Ketogenic diet is says that 45% of your calories should from protein, 45% from fat and another 10%. I was going to go by that? Is that about right for Atkins?
  • taovandel
    taovandel Posts: 10
    I used to do Atkins a few years back...

I would use Linda's Low Carb Recipe site to find meals to eat...it's a great website!
  • dittiepe
    I am interested in starting atkins, but I don't have the book or the money for ketone strips. I am a broke college student. I have found the information about what foods you can eat on each phase of the diet on the Atkins web site. I also found this little tool on the internet where you put your daily calorie count and it tells you how much fat, protein, and carbs for various diets. For the Ketogenic diet is says that 45% of your calories should from protein, 45% from fat and another 10%. I was going to go by that? Is that about right for Atkins?

That's pretty close. For the Phase 1 part, you want to limit your NET carbs to 20g a day. To get to your Net, you take total carbs and subtract the fiber and any sugar alcohols. You also want to be sure that 12-15g of those net carbs are from veggies. So be sure to incorporate lots of green veggies such as cabbage, lettuce, bell peppers and spinach into your diet. The Atkins site has a lot of info on it regarding the phases, and if you sign up over there they will send you a free carb counter packet :)
  • Lindac6724
    Lindac6724 Posts: 27
    Re Ketosis:

Because the strips turn a deep purple, those do not necessarily mean that you are buring fat. it means that you have extra ketones in your system that are NOT being burned up. If you are at 15%- 40%, that means that your system is burning fat.

If you are following ATKINS, the probability is that you are in ketosis even though you don't think so. If you eliminated the carbs and sugar, than you ARE IN KETOSIS.

Please don't get hung up on the strips. Use them when you cheated on carbs and are trying to get back into ketosis. 40% is as deep as you need to go to say you are burining fat. Note: BAYER, is the best brand.

Have a great lowcarb day.