any tips on giving up fast food

Options
all my friends and family eat nothing but fast food so any tips on saying no and not giving in...

Replies

• nicolepburgess91
    nicolepburgess91 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Lol I watched the documentary "supersize me" and that was enough for me. But I was never much of a fan of fast food to begin with. If you enjoy going to those places and the social experience you get from going with family, maybe just make healthier choices. For example, McDonald's offers side salad substitutes for French fries. Or you can order a southwest salad with grilled chicken if you don't crave the burgers
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Lol I watched the documentary "supersize me" and that was enough for me. But I was never much of a fan of fast food to begin with. If you enjoy going to those places and the social experience you get from going with family, maybe just make healthier choices. For example, McDonald's offers side salad substitutes for French fries. Or you can order a southwest salad with grilled chicken if you don't crave the burgers

That's not a documentary. But I agree that you can fit it in if you want.
  • nicolepburgess91
    nicolepburgess91 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Or, as someone else has said, work it into your day. If you go to the gym or do any working out, go for a little longer, burn a little extra so that the calories don't ruin your whole day. If you burn 500 extra calories, you can afford a double cheese burger. But, fast food is a lot of calories, so you have to work so hard. That's why I'm a fan of avoiding it.
    Some people are against cheat days. But I like them. When I lose 10 pounds, I allow myself one cheat meal. My next goal is 15 pounds though. And when I hit that, I'm going out for Chinese food.
  • nadiarene21019
    nadiarene21019 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    tank you everyone for your replies
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    My go-to for McDonald's is an egg mcmuffin and a side salad. As you eat less fast food, you'll probably find it's really salty when you do eat it. There are things I still like and make room for sometimes (like McD's fries), but it's a pretty small list of things I like enough for that.
  • moonbeam568
    moonbeam568 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Just know where you go and count accordingly.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Sort of got some built-in resistance. I'm a kosher vegetarian. My fast food choices are pretty much pizza and felafel (at least, in Toronto). Pizza works well, so long as I avoid some of the toppings like mac-and-cheese or fried breaded cauliflower. Felafel is an occasional treat.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    all my friends and family eat nothing but fast food so any tips on saying no and not giving in...

Have other plans for what you are going to eat and stick to those.

If there is somewhere else you'd like to eat, suggest doing that instead, if it's about going for lunch or picking up dinner as a group activity.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Just make healthier choices. They aren't forcing you to blow your macros in one meal are they? I eat fast food every single day and lose consistently. I just choose a more macro friendly item.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    My wife would spend on fast food for every meal if we had enough money to do so. That's not a food choice. It's an absence of talent. Develop your talent for cooking, and cook for yourself.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I watched that documentary as well it was super interesting! I definitely agree like maybe making healthier choices for instance instead of getting the crispy chicken I get it grilled as well at restaurants if it's available. Or asking for the dressing to be on the side, so one can determine how much they want to add themselves.
    Healthier choices are available, and one can eat a high calorie meal as well if it fits in their calorie allotment, or if they calorie cycle.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I avoid fast food because of the cost. I'm frugal so it's easy for me to say no.
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    No need to give it up if it's something you enjoy-you just need to learn how to fit it into your goals. That means pre-planning (most places have their nutritional info online), and then making choices that fit into your calories.
  • Hamsibian
    Hamsibian Posts: 1,388 Member
    Options
    I remember me great advice. I have one more; pick which places and dishes are worth it to you.

I have too many sensitivities, but if I could eat fast food or restaurants, Burger King, Applebee's, and papa John's would automatically be eliminated. I remember Wendy's burgers being decent, but didn't care for their fries. Olive garden house salads are easily the tastiest things on the menu. Granted I'm not giving you low cal options, but I hope you get what I'm trying to say. You don't have to eat every time you go out - especially if you don't like the place. eat before and order some low cal drink like tea.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    My question is: Do you like "fast food"? If you personally like it, you can try to cut back and just have it occasionally, if not, then as suggested, learn to cook. Make your own burgers or whatever, and cut down on the calories. You can make tasty dishes if you try. It takes awhile to learn, but you'll eat better in the end. Cooking is a skill that will serve you well in the future.
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I avoid fast food because of the cost. I'm frugal so it's easy for me to say no.

This too. I despise paying for something I can easily do at home. If I'm going to eat out, I prefer to pay for something special I wouldn't make for myself.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    zdyb23456 wrote: »

This too. I despise paying for something I can easily do at home. If I'm going to eat out, I prefer to pay for something special I wouldn't make for myself.

This is me....
    Why spend $15ish on a burger and fries (at a fancier "takeaway" place, granted) when I can make the same at home, that tastes the same or better, with better quality ingredients, for less?

I hate paying money for food out... It happens rarely!