Gaining weight over the past week and it's depressing me!

Options

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    creyes4182 wrote: »
    https://www.casewatch.org/board/chiro/berg.shtml

That is not a study. That is a you tube link with a lot of mis information in it by a debunked Dr.

That was just the last video I saw on it, there are many more sources. The OP can do whatever she wants, I going from my personal experience eating whatever you want and staying under calories will lead to malnourishment. You can either eat a chicken salad or a slice of cake, if you honestly think you're body will get what it needs from the cake and it's ok because it's the same amount of calories then there's no point in arguing. We're not going to change each others minds.

I did the low calorie thing. I was 330 and got down to 280. My body ached all over, even my joints and bones ached. When I couldn't take it anymore I stopped I shot up to 350 in a fraction of the time it took me to lose the weight. I tried low carb and my health issues went away(high blood pressure, cholesterol, the aches in my bones and I was prediabetic before). I went down to 230 got comfortable and decided to try carbs again. Not eating in excess mind you I was actually eating vegan and I shot up to 280 in a little over 2 months.

I got back on the low carb train and the weight loss is steady and I'm not losing strength or getting any aches. Plus after you detox from the sugar you stop getting carb cravings so it's not as bad as you think. All that said she said her approach wasn't working right? I only made a suggestion so what would it hurt to cut back on the sugar to see what happens?

Why are you assuming that if someone eats the foods they like, they will only eat cake? Why are you assuming that the advice to eat the foods you enjoy doesn't include meeting your nutritional goals (which, by the way, can be done while sometimes having cake)?

And "eating in excess" and being vegan aren't mutually exclusive states. Vegans can consume more energy than they burn -- vegans gain and lose weight the exact same way as all humans do, based on their calories in versus their calories out?
    She said she was eating whatever and was wondering why she wasn't losing weight. I never said this is why, it was just a suggestion. Why do people get so defensive? I was responding to the person that said there's no need to watch your sugar and bread intake. All I said was try reducing sugar and bread. Use those calories that are freed up for more nutritious things. Cut out soda and juice, drink more water. Try it for a few weeks if that doesn't work then go back to what you were doing. I cut out sugar and got rid of a bunch of medical issues. And you can be skinny and still have diabetes and other medical issues. Just because eating low calorie makes you thinner it doesn't mean it makes you healthier.

You cut out sugar. What do you eat?

Just because someone eats carbs does not mean they are not healthy. Healthy diets are a balance of macros and micros.
    Once you've hit those you can eat what ever you like with the rest of your calories.

Your body doesn't give you brownie points for over eating your micros.
  • lcuillard
    lcuillard Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm going through the same thing and it's frustrating to work hard and see the scale go up! I appreciate all the comments on here
  • creyes4182
    creyes4182 Posts: 29 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

That is not a study. That is a you tube link with a lot of mis information in it by a debunked Dr.

That was just the last video I saw on it, there are many more sources. The OP can do whatever she wants, I going from my personal experience eating whatever you want and staying under calories will lead to malnourishment. You can either eat a chicken salad or a slice of cake, if you honestly think you're body will get what it needs from the cake and it's ok because it's the same amount of calories then there's no point in arguing. We're not going to change each others minds.

I did the low calorie thing. I was 330 and got down to 280. My body ached all over, even my joints and bones ached. When I couldn't take it anymore I stopped I shot up to 350 in a fraction of the time it took me to lose the weight. I tried low carb and my health issues went away(high blood pressure, cholesterol, the aches in my bones and I was prediabetic before). I went down to 230 got comfortable and decided to try carbs again. Not eating in excess mind you I was actually eating vegan and I shot up to 280 in a little over 2 months.

I got back on the low carb train and the weight loss is steady and I'm not losing strength or getting any aches. Plus after you detox from the sugar you stop getting carb cravings so it's not as bad as you think. All that said she said her approach wasn't working right? I only made a suggestion so what would it hurt to cut back on the sugar to see what happens?

Why are you assuming that if someone eats the foods they like, they will only eat cake? Why are you assuming that the advice to eat the foods you enjoy doesn't include meeting your nutritional goals (which, by the way, can be done while sometimes having cake)?

And "eating in excess" and being vegan aren't mutually exclusive states. Vegans can consume more energy than they burn -- vegans gain and lose weight the exact same way as all humans do, based on their calories in versus their calories out?
    She said she was eating whatever and was wondering why she wasn't losing weight. I never said this is why, it was just a suggestion. Why do people get so defensive? I was responding to the person that said there's no need to watch your sugar and bread intake. All I said was try reducing sugar and bread. Use those calories that are freed up for more nutritious things. Cut out soda and juice, drink more water. Try it for a few weeks if that doesn't work then go back to what you were doing. I cut out sugar and got rid of a bunch of medical issues. And you can be skinny and still have diabetes and other medical issues. Just because eating low calorie makes you thinner it doesn't mean it makes you healthier.

Just because someone eats carbs does not mean they are not healthy. Healthy diets are a balance of macros and micros.
    Once you've hit those you can eat what ever you like with the rest of your calories.

Veggies(green leafy non starchy) , meats, fish, nuts, cheese. I don't eat sugar at all. Cook most of my food. I did it for over a year with no issues. First month was like that detox scene from Ray (2004) with Jamie Foxx. Like I said though she doesn't have to do it like I did. Just cut back a little on the sweets and see if it works for her. Everyone is different, doesn't hurt to try something your not comfortable with, especially if what your doing isn't working.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

She never said she was only eating cake so I have no idea why you used that as an example.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options

Veggies(green leafy non starchy) , meats, fish, nuts, cheese. I don't eat sugar at all. Cook most of my food. I did it for over a year with no issues. First month was like that detox scene from Ray (2004) with Jamie Foxx. Like I said though she doesn't have to do it like I did. Just cut back a little on the sweets and see if it works for her. Everyone is different, doesn't hurt to try something your not comfortable with, especially if what your doing isn't working.

So you didn't cut out sugar. You reduced it.

• creyes4182
    Options

She never said she was only eating cake so I have no idea why you used that as an example.
    Doesn't matter if it's cake, pizza, or ice cream. I think I already said I was responding to the you don't need to watch your sugar and bread intake. And take a minute to think about what your arguing. Your arguing against cutting back on sugar and eating cleaner. You can get thinner eating junk but that does not mean your improving your health. Sweets are ok if you have left over calories. There's a huge difference between eating what your body needs and what you want to eat. I never said to do what I did. I said to limit the sugar intake. Don't know why I have to keep repeating myself.
  • creyes4182
    Options

As far as processed sugar I did eliminate it. Can't really do anything about the natural sugar in nuts and veggies.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options

As far as processed sugar I did eliminate it. Can't really do anything about the natural sugar in nuts and veggies.

Your body doesn't care where it comes from. Sugar is sugar.
  • creyes4182
    Options

Ok buddy you win I need to get back to my workout
  • AndOne8675
    AndOne8675 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    OP...I felt exactly the same. Starting out I lost steadily a lb a week. Then after 10 lbs in I would stall out. However, I just kept going, doing my thing and figured out my body does the "whoosh" thing...Or aka weightloss is not linear. I weigh myself 2x a month mid month and a few days after my cycle ends...And almost always this last weight check I have lost anywhere from 2-4 lbs. Its can be hard not to see huge numbers but slow and steady is more doable for me, I don't feel like I am depriving myself. I eat whatever fits in my calorie limit, eating at Maintenance for a few days if I'm super hungry, usually ovu and cycle. Msged you : )
  • mom22dogs
    mom22dogs Posts: 470 Member
    Options

You need to be clearer with what you mean then. You very clearly stated "I don't eat sugar at all" which is very different than not eating added sugar.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options

Ok buddy you win I need to get back to my workout

There's nothing to win. Just trying to show you and the op that eating any food is fine.
    Eat adequate fat and protein. Eat vegetables to hit your micros and fill in the rest with bread, cake, ice cream. Anything.

Health doesn't have to be so restrictive.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP just as a point of reference, I've been in maintenance around a year. I eat a pretty consistent diet, and keep a pretty regular exercise routine. My weight can vary anywhere between 125 lbs to 135 lbs. Even if you do everything perfect, your weight will go up some weeks. There is a lot of other stuff in your body, not just fat, and the weight of that other stuff fluctuates all the time. If your weight goes up over 2-3 weeks, I would look at tightening up your logging. But 1-2 weeks? That's just normal. Hang in there! :drinker:
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

Doesn't matter if it's cake, pizza, or ice cream. I think I already said I was responding to the you don't need to watch your sugar and bread intake. And take a minute to think about what your arguing. Your arguing against cutting back on sugar and eating cleaner. You can get thinner eating junk but that does not mean your improving your health. Sweets are ok if you have left over calories. There's a huge difference between eating what your body needs and what you want to eat. I never said to do what I did. I said to limit the sugar intake. Don't know why I have to keep repeating myself.

I'm not arguing against someone eating "cleaner" (a relatively meaningless term) or cutting back on sugar if that is what they want to do. I'm arguing against your (unproven) claim that OP needs to do those things in order to lose weight.

Your default assumption is that someone who isn't eating clean isn't meeting their nutritional needs. But that's not true. I don't eat "clean," yet I regularly meet or exceed my needs. People who eat what they like aren't just eating cake and ice cream all the time. Maybe that is what you would eat if you ate what you liked, but that isn't what people here are advocating.

People are questioning your advice because you aren't making a very good case for it. OP will likely have much better results by focusing on what is important for weight loss -- calories.

If you're reading this as people saying "Don't meet your nutritional needs," that says much more about *you* than it does about anything else.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »

But Dr. Oz says it is so. Therefore, I believe. :angry:

This one is a chiropractor :D
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    numbz618 wrote: »
    There's 2 different reasons for this.

1. Weight loss is simple math. Calories in vs calories out. If your eating more calories then your burning then you will gain weight. Try tweaking your diet. Subscribe carbs and all that with more veggie rather then high sugar fruits.

Fat loss is simply math from Calories in vs Calories out. The problem is weight loss is far more complicated. There are confounding factors. Water weigh can throw off ones weight number causing quick losses, plateaus, and gains even when one is in a calorie deficit and still losing fat. If I go off my one blood pressure medication, I will put on about 5 pounds in two weeks even in a calorie deficit. When I go back on, my weight will come down quickly, and go lower than it was because I was still losing fat. I know this because I ran out of meds one week, and was unable to get a refill quicker than that.

To the original poster. Give it time. Make sure your logging is as close as you can make it verifying the entries you use and if possible weighing all solids.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming this is the first week where the scale went up instead? it happens, just keep going with 1600. I am stuck at the same weight for like 2 months and I'm eating 1650

Ugh, this.

I've been doing this since January, down 12 lbs and have been stuck bouncing in and around the same pound for 6 weeks. I've just had to be patient, truck on eating 1580 or a bit less every day and getting in my daily walk. It's tough.. especially when you are on a site (that is super supportive) in which it appears everyone is losing faster than you.
  • michelllqoh
    michelllqoh Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Tash, it may be calories in/calories out, but if you are ovulating or about to have your period, you could be holding water -- ALSO, if you have increased your intake of salty foods, this could also cause you to be holding water. I've been tracking my food and my weight DAILY since 2001 -- and it is NORMAL for me to lose a pound, gain a pound, gain a pound, stay the same, lose half a pound, gain a pound, lose 3 pounds, gain a pound etc. it's up/down and sideways and that's the way it's always going to be. If you can't handle the daily fluctuations, then weigh yourself only once a week on the same day, same time (first thing in the morning) and COMMIT to the long haul. this isn't a diet, this is a life.
  • michelllqoh
    michelllqoh Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have another 10 days until my period is due. Is there any chance there could be something medically wrong like hypothyroidism or anything like that? Or is that rare? It's like I've just looked at other people's diaries and seeing 1700-1800 calories per day. I would definitely gain ( and have gained) if I eat so many calories. But I don't exercise much because of my knee so maybe that's the difference?

I've been yo-yo dieting since I was 18 years old. I would gain 5-10 pounds and then go on a starvation diet, eating 1000-1200 calories a day until I lost the weight, but eventually your metabolism suffers from this kind of diet cycle. Over the years, it's gotten harder and harder to stay on a diet of 1000-1200 calories so my weight has crept up... I am 57 years old and have about 20 pounds to lose now. I will gain weight if I eat 1600 calories a day or more, I can maintain my weight if I stay between 1200 and 1500 calories which is extremely difficult to do --- SO, here is what I figured out. You can reset your metabolism but it takes time and patience. about 6 months ago, I started this process. for the first month or so, I ate 1400-1500 maintenance calories a day. I tracked every bite dilligently and every week or so, I added about 50 calories a day. After 6 months, I was able to get up to 1900-2000 calories a day and still maintain my same weight from 6 months ago. I am now working on reducing my intake by just 100 calories a day to see if I can SLOWLY lose a little weight. I'm averaging about 1800 calories a day not and So far so good, I've dropped 2 pounds in a month and I don't feel at all deprived .

I've also stopped beating myself up over mistakes. If I screw up one day (which we all do and will continue to do), I don't give up, I just start again, new day - new start -- BUT never do I say "oh hell, I've blown it today, I might as well binge for the rest of the day". I just do the best I can to distract myself, take a walk or something, and get back on track.

nobody said it would be easy, and I know that I didn't gain this 20 pounds overnight, so I can't expect to lose it overnight. this is the product of 20 years of yo-yo diets and stupid habits... it might take 20 years to lose it, and I'm okay with that. the important thing is that I haven't GAINED a pound in almost a year, so that's progress.