Burger bun....again

Options
2»

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    We don't have bread made with hfcs. But if I eat honey or jam on bread I don't feel like eating more. Maybe because it's delicious... But not because of the fructose in honey or jam.

Where do you live because most places serving burgers have hfcs baked into the bun.

Australia. We don't have hfcs in much, not that it would matter if we did.

Buy better bread.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
  • RemoteOutpost
    RemoteOutpost Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yes I do in fact feel like eating more.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine that the difference between a bit of HFCS (55% fructose) vs. sugar (50% fructose) in a bun makes a difference in the satiety of a hamburger. When I make a burger at home I usually don't have a bun, as I prefer to have just one starch course in a meal and like to have roasted potatoes, but when I feel like it I do and tend to choose a low cal/whole wheat bun. You can make your own if it makes that much difference or get Ezekiel or go to a nice or health-food-focused bakery. All that aside, I did a quick look at my local (chain) grocery's delivery service and one of the first options I pulled up (one I use occasionally because it's whole wheat and only 80 cals, but they have a similar white version, I think), had sugar, not HFCS. (Not that I believe it really makes a difference -- I think this is a good topic for a blind test.)

Anyway, my local grocery is in Illinois, which last I checked was part of the US.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I think bread just taste good and that's why you want more.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    In breads most of the sugar is consumed by the yeast.

British breads are a lot less sweet. To my North American palate they taste salty.

I have tried making home made buns and they come out a lot denser than the commercial variety. I imagine fluffy buns go through a double rising.
  • EricaCraigie
    EricaCraigie Posts: 1,396 Member
    Options
    Never had an issue with this
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    Never been a problem...

I really do agree with what someone said earlier that it's at least a bit of a mental thing. You know it has HFCS in it so you "expect" to get hungry after... thus you feel hungry after.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily just the HFCS - it's the white flour also. If I eat cheese with it I seem to do better than just meat. But, that's just me.