Consistently going over calories

Options
No matter how hard I try I'm consistently going over my 1800 calories daily. I think I'll try some frozen WW meals to try to get them down. Anybody else finding it hard to eat only 1800 calories daily?

Replies

• RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    What have you set your deficit at? 2lb a week loss?
  • razzapool
    razzapool Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    your diary isn't open so cant see what foods your eating but maybe need change some I tend to stick to chicken breast, turkey steak, turkey mince, egg whites stuff that fills me up but are quite low on cals
  • dietkatie5309
    dietkatie5309 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Well, that previous post was full of typos! Basically I'm wondering what you are eating each day to stave off cravings, eat well and still have great things to eat. I can't seem to stay consistently under my calories, although I am drinking plenty of water.
  • Drussander
    Drussander Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing everything carefully? I'm on 1600 cals a day and while all the measuring is a PITA, I am able to stay at 1600, or just below. To help, I am bulking up with lots of fiber, veggies, etc., and making low calorie density choices (Volumetrics), but it is doable. That said, at 1600 cals, I am never full like I was when I didn't count calories, but you get used to it.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I went on a Paleo / Keto-ish meal plan (low, low sugar/carbs and high protein/fat/fiber) of about 1400 calories (since January I have lost 23 pounds). And... I am only complaint calorie wise about 75% - 80% of the time.

But, by eating low carb and low sugar all of the time amazing things happened:
    • I don't crave sugar (I have an entire box of Charms Wild Berry Blow Pops in my file drawer that I haven't touched since November because I don't crave sugar; I once measured my stress level by how many of them i consumed in one day);
    • My moods are more even and I don't have blood sugar spikes and crashes; I feel better.
    • By consuming more healthy fats my joints don't hurt as much and I am more or less satiated on 1400 calories.

My ratio goals are:

Carbohydrates / sugar 53 g 15 %
    Fat 62 g 40 %
    Protein 158 g 45 %

I use Paleo Leap and Paleo Tribe for the recipe ideas (they have some great low calorie recipe options) but this isn't necessary. I do think preparing and eating food that I make as opposed to boxes or eating out has helped me a lot.

This is not to say that i don't eat out. I do. I just try to pick restaurants that have the calories / nutrition posted for their meals or try to pick simple options.

Boxes say they are low carb (but they lots of other additives in them to make them taste good.)

Sugar and carbs are the devil. For me, if I eat them, I am in a downward spiral for the whole day - I want MORE of them.

My suggestion is to try and reduce them in future meals, one meal at a time and see if that doesn't help you stay with your calorie goals.

Reduce them in breakfast first by switching to a homemade high protein shake that uses no fruit in it. For example:

3/4 cup (6 ounces) unsweetened coconut milk (or unsweetened milk of your choice)
    15 ice cubes.. maybe more!
    1 scoop whey or egg white protein powder
    1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1-2 TB unsweetened cocoa powder (depending on how chocolatey you like it)
    1/4 tsp xanthan gum (this is the KEY ingredient)
    1/4 tsp guar gum (or use more xanthan if you don’t have guar)
    1 teaspoon (or more) Erythritol (or 1 drop or Monk Fruit extract)

Reduce them in lunch by having something like:
    • Greek Yogurt (8 oz is 220 calories) with unsweetened coconut flakes (3 TBSP is 110 calories) stirred in.
    • Blended vegetable smoothie (carrots, celery, cucumbers, parsley, avocado, etc.) can be made ahead of time. I make about 40 oz and either put in lemon juice or raw apple cider vinegar and sea salt to keep it fresh and measure out 8 ounces in a jam jar and top with cooked mushrooms and kale to give it some texture. This may be around 200 calories.

Dinner is usually a protein (like eggs, chicken, or red meat or fish) and a low carb vegetable. Ranch eggs are around 420 a serving b/c it has pinto beans in it.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    No matter how hard I try I'm consistently going over my 1800 calories daily. I think I'll try some frozen WW meals to try to get them down. Anybody else finding it hard to eat only 1800 calories daily?

That way more than I eat. I don't think you should be having a hard time at all.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    1800 is my maintenance. I find it "tricky" for maintenance. If I could lose weight on that I'd be so happy.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    I eat 1600 per day and my diary is public, you're welcome to check it out. I've been logging consistently since November, so there's lots of info there with some days under 1600 and some days quite a bit over it. It mostly evens out. But maybe disregard the entire last week, since I ate like a pregnant hippo during that week. ;)
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    My cal goal is 1380 and, unless I'm being greedy (craving roast beef hash=the devil), it isn't terrible to be at or close...I just plan meals to balance: high cal dinner (500 cal or higher)=lower cal lunch.

I also log exercise & make sure the days I do go over don't exceed to extra cals I burned (try not to eat back more than half).

But some days I want to eat the world. It probably isn't hunger...
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    1800 is usually a pretty good place for me. I found I do better losing weight by waiting as long as I can to eat breakfast, I am not usually hungry early anyways and if I eat something when I first wake up i find myself hungrier throughout the morning.

My morning coffe ends up being 100ish cals.
    I usually eat a piece off egg based breakfast casserole I make for breakfast and a piece of fruit which ends up 300-350 cals.
    Lunch is a sandwich or microwave meal with fruit and veggie sides, usually 500-600cals.
    I like leaving room for a big dinner, that varies every day.

It seems like most people find they stay fuller when they are sure to include protein and fat in every meal instead of primarily carbs.

Ultimately, you will just have to figure out what works for you. Play w meal timing. Be mindful, if you eat a meal and find yourself hungry soon after those types of foods arent very valuable to you. Try something else, if you find it keeps you fuller longer try to find more foods like it.

Good luck!