Just started diet a week ago and not losing a pound!!! Help

Options
Hi guys!
Here is my dilemma. Within the last year I started eating more and more clean and less processed food. I had my ups and downs (lost and gained). I haven't been eating very good since December and in the last couple weeks started slowly adding more fruits and vegis into my diet again. Since about a week I started a diet of 1200-1400 cal with only whole and clean foods. I watch it carefully! I eat healthy fats and protein, lots of vegis and some fruits. Nothing processed. I exercise but I also did rest days for the exercise. I lost about 2-3 lbs in the first few days and then I started gaining weight!!! Huh?! What the heck?! Every day I gain about 4 - 8 ounces. Anybody know is that water? I am not eating lots of sodium I checked my diary. So whats going on?

Replies

• crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    fizzletto wrote: »
    crazyycatlady1 is bang-on correct. I would like to add though, that most people - women especially, due to hormone fluctuations - do not lose weight linearly (a little bit every day). We go up and down like yo-yos. Last month my weight stayed the same for 2 weeks (in fact it went up a little bit) despite eating at a consistent deficit. Then all of a sudden the scale went WHOOSH downwards. It happens.

Yep, I'm up a pound this morning because tom started. It will be gone by the end of the week plus some though, because I'm currently in a calorie deficit :)
  • tricia5715
    tricia5715 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    crazyycatlady1 is bang-on correct. I would like to add though, that most people - women especially, due to hormone fluctuations - do not lose weight linearly (a little bit every day). We go up and down like yo-yos. Last month my weight stayed the same for 2 weeks (in fact it went up a little bit) despite eating at a consistent deficit. Then all of a sudden the scale went WHOOSH downwards. It happens.

I am so heartened to read this. My weight has not budged in the past six days. Every morning I get on that scale and it reads 265.4 - I tried moving the scales to different locations - get the same 265.4. I am not letting it get to me though cuz I know if I am sticking to entering my foods into my food diary, I am checking on how many steps I am logging each day and drinking enough water at some point something has to happen.
  • fizzletto
    fizzletto Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    tricia5715 wrote: »
    I am so heartened to read this. My weight has not budged in the past six days. Every morning I get on that scale and it reads 265.4 - I tried moving the scales to different locations - get the same 265.4. I am not letting it get to me though cuz I know if I am sticking to entering my foods into my food diary, I am checking on how many steps I am logging each day and drinking enough water at some point something has to happen.

Don't worry! Six days is NOTHING. I have gone through a month-long plateau before, where the scale did not budge, and then all of a sudden it started dropping again. If you are eating at a calorie deficit you are losing weight, whether or not the scale says you are.

Try not to be disheartened if the reading on the scale stays the same. However, if you are the kind of person - like me - who can't help but get discouraged if the scale doesn't move, I have an idea for you. There's an app on the App Store called Happy Scale. I HIGHLY recommend everyone download it and start tracking their weight on that as well as MFP. In fact, put your weight readings in retroactively as well (as far back as you can be bothered to go). It uses a clever mathematical formula to work out your average rate of weight loss, and predict what your TRUE weight is, despite what the scale might read. So the scale might say that you haven't lost anything, but Happy Scale will tell you that you actually have. It's really, really comforting and motivating. Highly recommend it.

(Note - it's only available on iPhones, but apparently there's an app on Android called Libra which does the same thing, though I can't vouch for that one.)
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    tricia5715 wrote: »

Don't worry! Six days is NOTHING. I have gone through a month-long plateau before, where the scale did not budge, and then all of a sudden it started dropping again. If you are eating at a calorie deficit you are losing weight, whether or not the scale says you are.

Try not to be disheartened if the reading on the scale stays the same. However, if you are the kind of person - like me - who can't help but get discouraged if the scale doesn't move, I have an idea for you. There's an app on the App Store called Happy Scale. I HIGHLY recommend everyone download it and start tracking their weight on that as well as MFP. In fact, put your weight readings in retroactively as well (as far back as you can be bothered to go). It uses a clever mathematical formula to work out your average rate of weight loss, and predict what your TRUE weight is, despite what the scale might read. So the scale might say that you haven't lost anything, but Happy Scale will tell you that you actually have. It's really, really comforting and motivating. Highly recommend it.

(Note - it's only available on iPhones, but apparently there's an app on Android called Libra which does the same thing, though I can't vouch for that one.)

I started using Libra back in December and I love it! I really wish I had this back when I first started this whole process (5 years now).
  • veggrrrl
    veggrrrl Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I just spent a couple of *weeks* with my scale not budging, and I stepped on today to find I lost about a pound and a half. Stick with it. Don't weigh yourself everyday, if it's going to make you crazy. And I second the suggestion for Happy Scale. I'm a visual person, and it really helps to see the app draw that trending line for me.
  • theledger5
    theledger5 Posts: 63 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I also had a similar issue. I upped my exercise massively and thought I was eating good but actually y gained 7lbs since Jan! 2 weeks ago I started tracking food on here- 1st week, no loss at all, this week- despite it being TOM I've lost 3lb! I'm definitely more careful about logging weights of food more accurately and keeping my cals under 1600.
  • sueberlin
    sueberlin Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    'Clean' eating has absolutely nothing to do with weight loss, (it's a subjective term that doesn't even have an agreed on definition). For weight loss to happen you must be at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals.

Are you using a food scale to measure out your portion sizes? Are you logging everything you eat/drink that has calories? Are you choosing correct data base entries?

Also, your weight will fluctuate daily, due to all sorts of things not fat related.

I know that it is about the calorie deficit. I just wanted to point out that I eat quality calories and nothing processed. And yes I am using a food scale and measure ALL my portions. I also log in EVERYTHING even the 1/4 cup of onion. I only drink water. I am certain I am using the correct data base. This is not the first time I am doing this. In the past I always lost easy. Did my body change? Because I am in my 30is now? I am 282 lbs and eat 1200 - 1300 cal I should have enough calorie deficit plus the exercise. I just started this diet. How can I already have a plateau??
  • dramaman69
    dramaman69 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    To avoid the ups and downs of daily weight fluctuations, I make it a habit to only weigh myself once a week and try to to do the same time of the day to keep things as consistent as possible. Some weeks I've lost more than expected, some weeks less. I don't worry too much about it as I am fairly disciplined about logging my food intake and making sure I have a daily calorie deficit.
  • Kfont42
    Kfont42 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I've been watching my calorie intake and exercising more frequently for about a month now (well, exercising, at least. I was stubbornly avoiding tracking calories, but I needed it). I was also getting frustrated because I wasn't seeing a huge change, so I get where you're coming from. It takes time to see results, so it can get discouraging.

My friends told me to take progress photos and measure my body (MyFitnessPal has a Check in tab on the website where you can log any measurements you care about). I measure my bust, chest, waist, midway, hips, thighs, knees, calves, upper arms, and forearms. Taking those measurements has been the biggest motivator for me. Even when that scale isn't moving, I am still seeing inches melt away. In two weeks, I've lost 1.5 inches in my midway. I can't see it in the photos, but I keep telling myself that it's only been two weeks, and if I did see a huge change already, I'm probably not really doing my body any favors.

Hang in there, you can do this!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    sueberlin wrote: »
    'Clean' eating has absolutely nothing to do with weight loss, (it's a subjective term that doesn't even have an agreed on definition). For weight loss to happen you must be at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals.

Are you using a food scale to measure out your portion sizes? Are you logging everything you eat/drink that has calories? Are you choosing correct data base entries?

Also, your weight will fluctuate daily, due to all sorts of things not fat related.

I know that it is about the calorie deficit. I just wanted to point out that I eat quality calories and nothing processed. And yes I am using a food scale and measure ALL my portions. I also log in EVERYTHING even the 1/4 cup of onion. I only drink water. I am certain I am using the correct data base. This is not the first time I am doing this. In the past I always lost easy. Did my body change? Because I am in my 30is now? I am 282 lbs and eat 1200 - 1300 cal I should have enough calorie deficit plus the exercise. I just started this diet. How can I already have a plateau??

"Quality calories" are irrelevant when it comes to predicting how much weight you will lose, that's why people are pointing that out.

A week is too early to stress about this. If you're confident that you are logging correctly, then stay on plan. This isn't a plateau, you just didn't lose weight this week.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    sueberlin wrote: »

Uuuuuuh, well, I would say 1200-1300 cal is too low. I'm 228lbs and MFP has given me 1500 cals and I'm losing. But I still say it's too early for you to worry about it. Just keep going and see what the next week brings you
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    dramaman69 wrote: »
    To avoid the ups and downs of daily weight fluctuations, I make it a habit to only weigh myself once a week and try to to do the same time of the day to keep things as consistent as possible. Some weeks I've lost more than expected, some weeks less. I don't worry too much about it as I am fairly disciplined about logging my food intake and making sure I have a daily calorie deficit.

Whereas I prefer to weigh daily and track it with Trendweight (and my own Excel spreadsheets). his way if I'm up one day, I can usually know why and have a decent guess as to when it will come off. Also, I can tell if a "check in" day is off track.
  • acmorris88
    acmorris88 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Weighing yourself every single day is a sure way to make yourself insane. As many people have mentioned, weight lost is not linear and fluctuates daily. Pick one day a week to weigh yourself, and remember that can still be misleading. Weight loss is best measured by measurements of waist/abs/hips/thighs or body fat percentage. How do your clothes fit? You likely won't notice a change in only a week, but after a few weeks, if your clothes fit a little bit more loosely, then you know you're on the right track :)