Are you a parent?

Options
I lost 60 lbs before I got pregnant but now my son is 16 months old and I'm sad to say I've not lost the pregnancy weight, plus I've added 10 lbs or so to that. How do parents of toddlers do this?
I've exhausted enough cooking a somewhat healthy dinner (he will actually eat). I rarely have time to count the calories. Plus, his snacks turn into my snacks. He loves my water bottle, so I'm currently living with someone who takes water from me and runs off with it. Trying doing a sit up when a person is trying to poke you in the face or decides they want to climb on you.
I lost the 60 lbs by eating low calorie foods but I can't really do that with him because he needs calories and fat. He has always been small he dropped off the chart around 5 or 6 months old. I want him to eat and eat good but I need to cut back. Its impossible to make him food and not eat it too. I mean I'd have to make 2 dinners and I barely find the time to make one.
I work full time and I try to drink my 3 cups of green tea, 2 cups of coffee and about 50ozs of water at work.
How do you other parents make this work?
I can't even begin to eat right to get my energy back to start working out (not that I'd have the time).
I'm skipping work duties now to type this in hopes someone has a solution.

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,646 Member
    Options
    Following because I am interested. I have a 5 month old now and it's harder to find time than all my other kids combined. Seeing as how they are more self sufficient I suppose that makes sense.
  • Jellybeanz44
    Jellybeanz44 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Hey there. First of all - you sound down right exhausted and rightfully so. Having a toddler is incredibly hard. My son is now almost 8, but I remember it like yesterday how tired I was all the time and having to work on top of it all. My suggestion right now is to make yourself a priority. Make your own health important, too. Of course your baby is at the top of your importance list, but you need to be there too. The green tea, coffee, 50 ounces of water are great habits! Can you add another great habit per week? Like cook up some chicken in a crock pot if you have some, and keep frozen broccoli on hand that you can steam? You can do this.
  • laotracuata
    laotracuata Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have four daughters, 9yrs and younger and I work full time. My husband stays home with the 3 year old when I'm working. I hear you loud and clear! I successfully lost my pregnancy weight 2 years ago and then gained it back the year after. Am trying again but this time I'm focusing on WHY I eat. By having successfully lost weight at one time, I know HOW. Now I need to be honest with myself to battle my biggest obstacle, WHY. Why do I want to get that second serving. Why do I want to eat my kids' leftovers. Why do I want to eat when I'm not actually hungry!? If I stop and answer why, then I can CHOOSE to continue with what isn't working or I can refocus and CHOOSE to CHANGE and say no, or later, or I don't really want that. Today is all we have. Today is when it counts. Today you make your change with the choices you make. Good luck and happy choice making. You can do it!
  • rlynnlopez2017
    rlynnlopez2017 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have twin 2 year olds and feel your pain and exhaustion! My girls are big red meat eaters and like to feed me their snacks too. I've made an effort to have healthier snacks like apples, bananas, carrot sticks, and cucumbers so we can share. I've been doing more portion control and not necessarily cutting anything out. I also will grill chicken for myself to last a few days and pack my freezer with microwaveable vegetables so it's quick and less dishes. I try at each meal to eat more veggies than anything else. Good luck, you can do it!
  • Emmey56
    Emmey56 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I try to prep as much as I can after I go grocery shopping. Taking an extra 30 minutes to cut up veggies saves me so much time and is sure I always have healthy veggies ready to cook.
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Losing weight doesn't have to be overwhelming and time consuming, just keep it simple. First rule: no eating off your kid's plate or finishing their uneaten meal. Throw their leftovers in the trash or put the plate in the sink and run water on it. Second rule: one portion. You don't have to cook special food for yourself, just limit the amount you eat and no going back for more. So if it means Kraft Mac & Cheese, have that for dinner but only one serving and then you're done.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    You can do this. I have a 6 year old, 4 year old, and 3 month old. It is hard, but doable. I make several freezer meals /crock pot meals every weekend or I grill. I don't get home from work with the kids until after 6:30 so I need a game plan or we end up eating until 7:30.

Make simple things you can either throw in an oven or crockpot.

Some of our oven favorites are things like shepherds pie or ravioli lasagna (just layer sauce, frozen ravioli, and cheese and freeze. Bake from frozen 400 for an hour )

For the crock i like boneless skinless chicken thighs. You can do salsa chicken over rice or wrap big potatos in tin foil and bake in your crock on low all day. Then put out toppings like broccoli, cheese, bacon, etc.

Then just beef out your meal with fruit and veggies. With my kids I always serve multi fruit and veggies. My rule is you don't have to eat them all, but you have to eat at least one.

Tonight we had grilled chicken legs, Swiss chard sautéed with shallots and bacon, unsweet apple sauce, corn on the cob, canary melon, and leftover potato salad. I ate the chicken, chard, and corn. Kids ate corn, apple sauce, melon, and one had chicken while the other had a hard boiled easter egg.

Leftovers will make a reappearance tomorrow.

Grilling is also a great way to limit the amount of dishes you have to clean.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options

Grilling is also a great way to limit the amount of dishes you have to clean.

I wish I could grill more often. Shoot I would grill every day. Living in the city sucks sometimes. *kicks a pebble*
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    @Chef_Barbell I feel your pain. When the weather is above 40 and not raining we grill probably 4-5 days out of 7. I grilled a standing rib roast on Sunday...low and slow for like 3 hours. I'd never done one that way. It was the greatest.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Options
    @Chef_Barbell I feel your pain. When the weather is above 40 and not raining we grill probably 4-5 days out of 7. I grilled a standing rib roast on Sunday...low and slow for like 3 hours. I'd never done one that way. It was the greatest.

Mmmmm that is my language right there!!!
  • mkmarte
    mkmarte Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 lbs before I got pregnant but now my son is 16 months old and I'm sad to say I've not lost the pregnancy weight, plus I've added 10 lbs or so to that. How do parents of toddlers do this?
    I've exhausted enough cooking a somewhat healthy dinner (he will actually eat). I rarely have time to count the calories. Plus, his snacks turn into my snacks. He loves my water bottle, so I'm currently living with someone who takes water from me and runs off with it. Trying doing a sit up when a person is trying to poke you in the face or decides they want to climb on you.
    I lost the 60 lbs by eating low calorie foods but I can't really do that with him because he needs calories and fat. He has always been small he dropped off the chart around 5 or 6 months old. I want him to eat and eat good but I need to cut back. Its impossible to make him food and not eat it too. I mean I'd have to make 2 dinners and I barely find the time to make one.
    I work full time and I try to drink my 3 cups of green tea, 2 cups of coffee and about 50ozs of water at work.
    How do you other parents make this work?
    I can't even begin to eat right to get my energy back to start working out (not that I'd have the time).
    I'm skipping work duties now to type this in hopes someone has a solution.

I'm with you! I have a 2 year old and a 6 week old baby. my toddler is a handful but what I've found works is to take the time to count calories and get in as much exercise as possible which usually consists of the treadmill in 20 minute increments and going on walks with a stroller. if my toddler doesn't want to eat what I made for supper she will always agree with a bowl of cereal like cheerios or rice crispies(nothing too sugary). for yourself keep lots of fruits and veggies for snacks and find lowwr calorie options for bread, cereal, milk ect.
  • slaya
    slaya Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have a three year old but it took me about 1.5 years after having him to get back on track. I was feeling crap about my new stretch marks and hid in baggy clothes. For me, i Definitely put time into meal prep - just do it once a week if you can. it doesnt have to be hard.. just throw on some chicken breast and roast up some veg in the oven and walk away for a while. Also, buy the low cal stuff you need , its just one other way you have to start prioritising yourself.I fell into the same trap of eating after my son but now i dont even think about it.. straight in the bin! You can do it :) Also weights training helped me a tonne and helped me lose the flab faster than id ever before w cardio. I now wake up early, drop off the kid to childcare, train then go to work. Good luck!!