Panera Bread's food is 100% clean

Options
MonkeyMel21
MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
How can they claim it? There's a billboard on my way home from work that says "100% of our food is 100% clean". I get irritated every time I see those claims, lol. How can they prove it, what exactly do they mean?

Replies

• MonkeyMel21
    edited April 2017
    Options
    That's what irritates me so much cause I know it's meaningless, but all these other people are somehow impressed by it. Or at least PB acts like we should be impressed. So they really don't have to back up their claim just because there's no actual definition.
  • MonkeyMel21
    Options
    It means they make sure every sandwich, bagel, salad, and the rest of the gang practices good hygiene

This is what I imagine on my drive. They washed the lettuce, therefor it's clean!
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    They do provide their own definition - no preservatives, no food coloring, no artificial sweeteners. I think that's it, but I may be missing something.

That said, the whole advertising campaign just irritates the crap out of me. Anything that perpetuates the 'clean eating' nonsense does.

^^Was just about to post exactly this, but I took too long Googling it. They have defined it for their own restaurant. I think it's still crap.

No artificial preservatives, sweeteners, colors and flavors is the official wording.
  • Mycophilia
    Mycophilia Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    It means they make sure every sandwich, bagel, salad, and the rest of the gang practices good hygiene

Wow that's the dankest Pepe I've seen in a while.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    They do provide their own definition - no preservatives, no food coloring, no artificial sweeteners. I think that's it, but I may be missing something.

That said, the whole advertising campaign just irritates the crap out of me. Anything that perpetuates the 'clean eating' nonsense does.

^^Was just about to post exactly this, but I took too long Googling it. They have defined it for their own restaurant. I think it's still crap.

No artificial preservatives, sweeteners, colors and flavors is the official wording.
    5549107d9991f.preview.jpg?resize=620%2C803
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    That's what irritates me so much cause I know it's meaningless, but all these other people are somehow impressed by it. Or at least PB acts like we should be impressed. So they really don't have to back up their claim just because there's no actual definition.

The two biggest diet fads/trends at the moment are "clean eating" and low carb...just look at about any magazine in the supermarket checkout...paleo is still fairly prominent as well, but not nearly where it was four years ago. The diet and fitness industry is a multi billion dollar industry...they want people to be impressed/excited about many meaningless things...'cuz $$$

There's always going to be capitalization on trends by restaurants, food companies, etc...there's a whole line of paleo approved processed foods that they sell at Costco and elsewhere...even though the whole idea behind paleo was to get off the processed food.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Here's what they claim, from their website:
    100% of our food is 100% clean. That means no artificial preservatives, sweeteners, flavors and no colors from artificial sources.

This is why discussions about "clean" are maddening. See if this matches any of the definitions that @diannethegeek often lists. Many of those definitions wouldn't even allow bread!

And in the meantime, I believe Panera continues to sell Pepsi products, including Diet Pepsi.

I actually kind of like Panera, and will continue to eat there on occasion. But this is just a bald marketing gimmick for those who like to think they are on the bleeding edge.

ETA: I see I was late on the draw!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    I like Panera, but this type of shady marketing makes me avoid them.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

The two biggest diet fads/trends at the moment are "clean eating" and low carb...just look at about any magazine in the supermarket checkout...paleo is still fairly prominent as well, but not nearly where it was four years ago. The diet and fitness industry is a multi billion dollar industry...they want people to be impressed/excited about many meaningless things...'cuz $$$

There's always going to be capitalization on trends by restaurants, food companies, etc...there's a whole line of paleo approved processed foods that they sell at Costco and elsewhere...even though the whole idea behind paleo was to get off the processed food.

Along these lines.......I remember KFC ads were saying they were low carb and Atkins friendly. Ad campaign didn't last long, too obvious maybe.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Along these lines.......I remember KFC ads were saying they were low carb and Atkins friendly. Ad campaign didn't last long, too obvious maybe.

I believe Taco Bell is currently marketing a low carb/keto friendly taco where the shell is made with a fried chicken shell and then stuffed with chicken...sounds quite disgusting to me personally...
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    I like Panera, but this type of shady marketing makes me avoid them.

It's not really shady marketing since they provide a list of what this means. See a few posts above yours.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I think it is a bit silly but at the same time, it makes good business sense to go that route with marketing. I have no problem with it.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Meh, they've found a market to capitalize on. It's a sound business strategy. At the end of the day, only you are in charge of what you consume and whether or not you deem it 'clean.'