If you had to choose a daily workout...

Options
2»

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I could never choose one that doesn't involve powerlifting or the like.

I've been down that road, and health wise I would be crippled again.

Heavy weight training is the only thing that slows down and relieves some of the pain of my joint disease.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    D- none of the above.

Also doing the same thing over and over again- probably will bore you. No reason you have to pick JUST one. Many days in the week to do MANY things.

I have lost over 40lbs doing D- none of the above :) It's time for me to start some sort of exercise other than the hiking I do on weekends. I have to figure out what I want to shuffle my job/studies/volunteering around. And I've narrowed it down to those 3 due to my recent shoulder injury.

I can have either up to an hour before work (6-7am), or up to 2 hours after work (7-9pm).

Injury prevents you from doing any type of strength training, especially upper body?

My list contains running, lifting and walking after dinner.

You can only do what types of exercises up to your limitations.. So I think anything you like to do and will do as part of your exercise regime will suffice as long as it meets your goals. Do what fits your schedule and what you will enjoy doing!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goals. I'd do each one twice a week.
  • ConquerAndBloom
    ConquerAndBloom Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I like the Beachbody routines (I'm doing Rockin' Body right now and I love it!) so that would probably be my choice!
  • DreaRN15
    DreaRN15 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    ..which one of these would you choose? Assume 30-45 minutes for each one.

1) Morning yoga on the porch
    2) Evening cardio/Beachbody in front of the TV
    3) 2-4mile walk after dinner

Or I could try to fit it all in, but I don't have any exercise regimen at all right now, and want to work my way up.

I would do them all. I do PiYo 6 days a week, but I also go to the gym, see my trainer and walk at the park a couple days a week. So I'm never doing the same thing everyday. I've lost 34lbs since starting, but this works for me. You find what works for you! Good luck!!
  • Mary_Anastasia
    Mary_Anastasia Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    D- none of the above.

Also doing the same thing over and over again- probably will bore you. No reason you have to pick JUST one. Many days in the week to do MANY things.

I have lost over 40lbs doing D- none of the above :) It's time for me to start some sort of exercise other than the hiking I do on weekends. I have to figure out what I want to shuffle my job/studies/volunteering around. And I've narrowed it down to those 3 due to my recent shoulder injury.

I can have either up to an hour before work (6-7am), or up to 2 hours after work (7-9pm).

Injury prevents you from doing any type of strength training, especially upper body?

Not any type (core would be fine! :) ) but for arms, it does when I still need x-rays and potentially rotator cuff surgery. I could not even pick up a pencil for days after it happened, I had to move my entire right arm by picking it up with my left one :(
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Another vote for

4) none of the above.

Weights for me!
  • ridiculous59
    ridiculous59 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I've lost 90 pounds and just recently hit my goal weight. I do something different most days, and also depending on the season.....my winter activities are quite different to my summer activities. And the weather often dictates my choice. To me, time spent outside is a thousand times better than time inside, but I force myself to do weights 2-3 times a week because I know it's good for me *sigh*

Its taken me 3 years to lose the weight but I've never had a stress/over-use type injury and I am convinced that's because I never overworked any particular part of my body. Granted, I'm not super proficient at anything, like I'm not going to come first in my age group at a 5k run, but I'm fine with that. My point is this: mix it up and just enjoy creating your new body. Some days may be more fun than others, and that's okay.

BTW, years ago I injured my rotator cuff walking my dog on a trail. I slipped in the mud on a downward slope and reached back to grab a branch to stop my slide. Bad move. It took several years to feel 100% again so I can sympathize with you :(
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I don't find walking or yoga boring at all, so I would do those. I walk tons (and hike at least once or twice a week), and I enjoy yoga but forget to make time for it regularly. I hate the gym and I've yet to like any workout videos save some yoga ones.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    #3 for me because it's what I enjoy doing and what would not require much recovery, so doing it daily would be possible. The other stuff trigger my back pain. Too much hip hinging and lumbar stretching for my back.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I hate yoga so 2 or 3.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Let me give you some help. I've had a double hip replacement and arthritic hip and knee that both need to be replaced.

I'm a big fan of Tony Horton. I've done the 10 minute trainer the old the new version of P90 and P90X. Couple years ago when I first started out I couldn't even get on the floor to do a push-up. Now I could easily kick out 10 to 20 real push-up. Also in P90X he has a workout called Plyometrics which is Jump exercise. One of the moves is a jumping 180° spin period two years ago I could never imagine myself doing it. Now I can do multiple 360 spin jumps.

He has a great philosophy do your best and forget the rest. What he's basically saying it's better to do something than nothing at all. Do a combo of all three do a little of all three.

There's an old adage that goes success is the progressive realization of a worthwhile goal. Over time you will surprise yourself what you can do where I am now versus where I was 2 to 3 years ago I'm in shock. I'm in better shape now than I was 20 years ago and I'm 56 years old.