Motivation, Success and Frustration Sharing!

Replies

• hustle_4_muscle_kc
    hustle_4_muscle_kc Posts: 3 Member
    Not totally new to the app, I used Lose It for awhile but recently switched. Could use more/new friends to help motivate and get motivated. I love fitness, leg days are my favourite haha!
    IG: hustle_4_muscle_kc
    Snapchat: dancingcupcak3
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Hi Everyone (and welcome to all newcomers!)

Sorry I don't have the time to catch up with each of you individually today (I've got quite the pile of work on my desk from being away for a week). This past week was really rough emotionally. I kept it together shockingly well physically, other than coming down with one hell of a cold today. Thank goodness for whoever invented Dayquil.

It's definitely disorienting to enter back into my regular routine after being out of everything for a week. I'm hoping this cold stays minor enough that I can go to derby tonight. I had to miss the big game this past weekend and I really miss my team.

Losing my FIL was a huge hit on the whole family. He was a wonderful man and his passing was so sudden. We are just grateful he passed peacefully in his sleep and didn't have to suffer.

I hope everyone has a wonderful happy healthy week! I'll be back tomorrow to truly check in.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,627 Member
    glad you're back safe & sound Rachel, It must have been hard loosing him & sounds like you did remarkably well. Hope you don't get any sicker & get well quickly.
  • PhedraJD
    PhedraJD Posts: 1,392 Member
    Yesterday I failed miserably. I was exhausted physically and mentally, plus stuck at home with my oldest (17) who has a sinus infection. After her doctor appointment, she wanted to go out for lunch. So we did that. I was good and ate in moderation, but it was high calorie, then got home and ate everything in sight. Ugh. Plus had a migraine, so I slept, and didn't do any exercise. Today the scale is up almost 3 pounds from Sunday. I am hoping it is water retention. Here is to a better day.
  • Rachel0778
    @Evamutt Thank you for your kind thoughts. I hope this bug passes quickly too!

@jdelaroy Sorry yesterday was rough, do you know what triggered the binge?

Quiet board! Please tell me people didn't abandon ship the one week I was gone!

Yesterday I skipped derby since I'm still not feeling so hot and took the dog on a long walk instead. I woke up still sick so I'll probably keep my activity pretty light today (maybe a PiYo workout video?) It actually feels good to be back at work. I didn't realize how much I missed my job and my routine (I guess I really am in the right career!).
  • PhedraJD
    @rachel0778 I think a lot of people are still on holiday.
    Not exactly sure what triggered the binge. Maybe boredom/depression.
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,299 Member
    I'm here - recovering from a lovely but very tiring Easter weekend! Jen: sorry you had such a bad day, hope today is treating you better. Rachel - good to see you back, hope the cold goes away for you soon!
  • graphics1125
    graphics1125 Posts: 10 Member
    edited April 2017
    Hi I'm new here and trying to (I know sounds cliche), but loose some weight. 15lbs would be nice.
    I started at 210 lbs (I'm 5'10") on 3/1, and stopped all sugars and "in general" tried to eat cleaner. I quoted in general because I didn't try that hard, I just sort of tried, I figure baby steps.

Anyways by 4/1 , I dropped down to 200lbs and signed up for MyFitnessPal. I might be little impatient because the first 10 came off fairly painless, but I've been hovering 200-202 for the past two, two and half weeks.

Some symptoms of being overweight has been resolved like brain fog and the DIRE need for a nap around 4:00pm, have more energy and able to move again. Go figure.. eat better and workout and feel better.. duh... and that in it's self should be a great rewards, but I'm selfish, I want more! :)

I've keep keeping fairly good records in MFP, got a Wahoo Heart Monitor (so I don't cheat) to track my workouts, and trying to keep my 1500 calorie intake as recommended by MFP.

I know it's a little OCD to be measuring day by day, but it been 17 days and I haven't been able to get pass the 200lbs mark other than one day at 199.2lbs and back up again. According to MFP, if I continued to be at 1500 calories a day I should be at 185lbs in 5 weeks (starting on 4/1), but it's been 2.5 weeks and I haven't dropped a pound.

I don't want to be at 5 weeks and be at 200lbs, then I'll feel really discouraged.

A quick something about me:
    From LA, CA
    Father of 3 (14f, 10M, 2f) yup you read that right.. 2 years old.. :)
    Own my own struggling business, I'm not a photographer but sort of related
    I have a degree in IT, but I love working my hands.

I'd like to also make some friend to encourage and hopefully encourage my self, so feel free to add me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best Wishes,
    Bryan

• PhedraJD
    @graphics1125 Great job on your first 10 pounds! There are numerous reasons that you haven't seen a weight loss this month. You can check them out on the threads. I will list a couple for you here without going into too many details.

1. The first 10 pounds were probably mostly water weight that you lost. (Most people do this in the beginning.)
    2. You aren't actually staying under calories. If you aren't measuring your food with a scale, and using the correct entries in MFP, you may think you are eating under calories and you aren't.
    3. You could be retaining water again. If you started some new exercises, weight lifting, ate a lot of sodium you could be retaining up to 8 pounds (I think) of water.
    4. Weight loss is not linear. In other words you may go several weeks and not see any weight loss, even though you are doing everything right. The following week you will see a large drop. Weight can fluctuate a couple of pounds a day. If you get discouraged easily, then only weigh once a week. (Hard to do for some.)
    5. Try focusing on other things besides actual weight numbers, how are you physically feeling? How many inches have you lost? (If you haven't taken measurements, do so. this is a great way to track, especially if you are doing strength training as well.)How are your clothes fitting?

Great start to a long and slow journey. Good luck, and post often.
  • iamrosiegxx
    iamrosiegxx Posts: 3 Member
    Hi ya am new to this don't actually no how it works tbh I need a lot of motivation and this looks great so
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,627 Member
    great advice jdelaroy, I found all that to be true. I take the weight I am first thing in the morning. This week I upped my exercise. I went to zumba & am planing to go twice a week in addition to what I already do. I'm also planing to go to a piyo class (palates & yoga combo) yes, I'm into classes right now. I'm so glad I can do it. Yesterday & today are a boring day. I have a friend who needs help cleaning her kitchen but also has fibromyalgia & a few other health issues, so I gave up volunteering at the animal rescue yesterday to help her but she wasn't feeling up to it so said we'll do it today. So she lets me know around 2 that today isn't good either SO I missed doing other things today & now it's too late. I love her & understand, I just should have had a back up plan. Today was my double exercise class so I'm a bit tired but feel pretty good. It was raining this morning so didn't take the dogs out & don't really want to do house work so.....I'll see what I come up with, it's only 3pm
  • PhedraJD
    @evamutt I try to give good advice or keep my mouth shut. LOL I spent a lot of time reading the forums when I first started a lot of it does help. That was so nice of you to give up something you love to do to help a friend. What a great friend you are. I am learning how important back up plans are. I need to be better at this.

I had grand plans yesterday to go to the gym, or take an evening walk. It all started with an unexpected meeting at work, 2 big projects now due, yesterday, and no breakfast. To make up for no breakfast I ate a brownie, then I missed my lunch walk to help with the projects that still aren't done. Once I was home, I jogged to make up for my missed work out, but then I ate a bunch of chocolate, because well I like chocolate, and I was stressed about work. It was all down hill. The only good thing was I got part of my weekly challenge done. Then bf came home, and he was being a grump. I didn't even want to go for a walk or the gym with him. I need to make plans and stick to them, and not let other people change them for me. Grr. Hopefully, today is better.

Happy hump day everyone.
    @bluepoppies777, @ngolden3320, @gemwolf110 , @shycush6 Are you guys still alive? How are you doing? We miss you.
  • Rachel0778
    @jdelaroy Boredom/depression are two of my triggers too. I usually have to drag myself out for a long walk to try to circumvent binges, but it doesn't always work. Sorry yesterday was rough! When I skip meals it's always a one way ticket to binge-town too. I hope today things go closer to plan.

@Evamutt Sounds like you're doing a great job with activity with all of those classes! I always hate it when plans change last minute too. I hope you were able to fit something else in

Welcome @iamrosiegxx! We just post here so you're welcome to join in any time

Welcome @graphics1125! @Jdelaroy gave great advice so I definitely second her recommendations. We look forward to hearing how this week goes!

I think my cold is finally dissipating! I'm hoping I'll feel good enough for a workout DVD tonight, although my dog has been loving all the extra walks he's been getting (I've got him out there almost 2 hours a day since I haven't been able to do other activities). Not being able to go to my regular classes has meant I've been able to catch up on some cleaning/laundry that got neglected while we were gone so that's definitely a plus side. The down side is I've been feeling like a bloated whale. I know it's water retention, but it still sucks.

My SO has been super stressed with work this week (he was really busy even before he had to take off a week with his father's passing and none of the work has gone away). I've tried to step up my game at home a bit to cook him dinner and help out but it's been hard to do since I feel so cruddy. I know he appreciates the gesture though.

I hope everyone else is having a better week than I am! Seriously though...where is everyone??? Holiday is over guys and gals!
  • bluepoppies777
    bluepoppies777 Posts: 438 Member
    Holy cats! It's been ages since I've posted! Sorry Ladies, I've completely lost it over the last week and was taking benadryl and eating tons of chocolate! Being allergic to chocolate usually doesn't bother me too much, but for whatever reason I was shoving the stuff down my throat over Easter!! YIKESSS! haven't weighed myself because I don't even want to look. Lost my mojo AGAIN. Asked myself whyyyyy is this so hard for me to succeed at??.... haven't found the answer yet! PFFFF!

We were supposed to go away for the 4 day Easter weekend to visit my brother and his family. I was all packed up, bought chocolates for the kids, baked stuff and was super excited. They live 8 hours away (including a ferry ride). We drove all the way to the ferry, had time before we boarded so went to this awesome new mall... and my 9yo barfed everywhere - right on the floor in front of the nike store! Hubs said "that's it! we are going home"!! GOOD LORD. So we drove all the way back home. 10 hours of driving for nothing! Happy Easter!! LOL! So we stayed home, did yard work and finally today my son is feeling better.

Feeling like I'm in a funk, and can't get myself out! :s It keeps raining here, and I haven't been able to start biking to work yet because it's still too cold. Bored with the gym... and I keep cramming food down my throat!

I've got to get my head back in the game! LOL!

On another note, Rachel I'm really sorry to hear about your father in law! My father in law passed away last April around this time, so my hubs has been feeling quite down lately. Hopefully you can cherish all the good memories that you have of him!

Welcome to all the newbies!! Feel free to add me!! Obviously I need lots of motivation lately! haha!
  • bluepoppies777
  • bluepoppies777
    6ngtu3xt5t6p.jpg

This is OBVIOUSLY what I need right now! HA!
  • ShyCush6
    ShyCush6 Posts: 951 Member
    Hey guys! Not sure I can go back and catch up from my time away… but… I’m here now… I’ve been on a ship that has sailed off course lately… With the new job and training, it has been quite overwhelming… I seem to have a headache by the end of the day daily… ugh! I seem to be hitting snooze a lot lately… I did though get up early and get in a good burn this morning… And I feel so much better when I do, so I am frustrated with myself when I don’t! Easter candy has got the best of me also.. Grrr…. Easter is like the best candy of the year!!! Other than that nothing new… soccer mom and overwhelmed worked about sums up my life right now! Oh.. and hubby is building me a new front deck… so that is exciting.. My job soon will be to stain it! Fun! Fun! Other than that had a great Easter with family!

Rachel: So sorry to hear of you loss… how sad… Thoughts and prayers for your family… Sorry you came down with a cold as well. That sucks. Hope you are feeling better and are back to your normal spunky self soon!!

Jdelaroy: I feel your pain… I have been exhausted mentally lately and I think that triggers physically as well… and it is just frustrating… so much to do and learn and not enough time in the day… I’m betting water retention… hang in there, you can do this! Sorry yesterday’s stress levels weren’t much better… it’s so hard to deal with. And grumpiness at home doesn’t help either… Hope you can make it to the gym today! I really have found exercise to help my stress levels… it’s just getting myself to do it… I always feel better afterward…

Janetay: Glad you had a great Easter!!

Welcome Bryan!!

Eva: I love that you keep so busy… it really does keep you young. Way to go with the classes! You are doing great!!
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,299 Member
    Shy - good to see you back! Hope the training is going well and that the pressure of it starts to ease - I hate it when you get to the end of the day with a headache brought about by work, it happens more often than I like.

Joy - good to see you back too! I sympathise with the feeling of funk and needing to get back in the game. I lost it for a good couple of months and it's only in the last couple of weeks that it has come back. For me, I have to be in the routine of logging and working out and I've learnt that I also need a challenge, some element of competition. I've joined the Hogwarts challenge group here and it has helped me immensely - wanting to win and not let team mates down seems to really spur me on. How is the teaming up with your son's girlfriend going? Can you push each other along?

Rachel - look after yourselves, it's always such a difficult time after you lose someone. Take care of yourselves and the rest will follow when you are both ready and able. Glad the cold is going!

Jen - hope the week is getting better for you. How are you doing with the classroom challenge for this week? I've not got to the workout yet and realise I don't know what half the exercises are!

@evamutt - so frustrating but you are clearly a good friend to her. Hope the week is treating you well.

@iamrosiegxx and @graphics1125 - welcome to you both, come back and post often!

Having such a nice week off - it is so needed. Gardening, work on Alistairs quilt and stuff around the house - it's so nice to just be able to chill and not worry about work! Hope all are having good days - will catch up again later :)
  • PhedraJD
    @bluepoppies777 Glad to see you back. Sorry about your son. You can get back on the wagon. I love the vet diet, think I need to give it a try.

@rachel0778 Good to hear you are feeling better. Your SO is lucky to have you. I am sure he appreciates all that you do for him. Or he should anyways.

@ShyCush6 Glad you are surviving the new position, even if it is just barely. Give yourself a little wiggle room. I bet you are doing fantastic. Don't forget a few minutes for yourself today.

@janetay01 I am envious of your holiday break. I didn't even get a half day off. Although my daughter was sick on Monday and ended up having to call in to take care of her. I am doing pretty good on the challenges. Did Dada. completed 3 days of the potion challenge. The exercise portion is to pick a word from the 6th book, and do the exercises associated with each letter. I am about half way through with it. RoR has been posted as well.

My eating is still out of control, but it was better yesterday than it was the 2 days before. However, this morning started off with a chocolate marshmallow egg. Very rich, very yummy. Then a spinach wrap and a tea from Star bucks. Too many calories this early in the morning. Luckily, I will burn some of those roller skating tonight. My two younger kids took a sample karate class, and they are graduating from the class tonight. They both want to continue, but I can't afford to send them both. It is $200 a month per kid. No way can I come up with an additional $400 dollars. Makes me kind of bummed.

Back on the wagon. Let us keep on keeping on! Almost the weekend guys!