cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    It's one meal out of an entire week...
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

every week. It's not a birthday meal, or a one off. It's a regular thing. That's the problem.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I also found it much better for my continuity not to have that outside/cheat/hard to control meal at all, not only was the risk of over-eating high but it was usually a couple of days of water retention after as well. I found it too disruptive to do once a week. I think your safest bets are checking menus and then calling ahead to ask about food prep (a local pub is unlikely to know calories right?) - like butter, oil, whatever, might help you narrow things down. I don't find the kids menu idea to be super helpful, it's a smaller portion sure but usually chicken tenders or pasta or something, calorie dense, if they'll even let you have it.

I'm from the north, and haven't lived in the UK in 15 years, but I am trying to remember if to-go boxes are even a thing. The pubs we would sunday lunch at would have looked cross-eyed at us if we asked, I think :D
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think steak is the best option for eating out when unknown calories. The cut and size is typically known (listed on the menu) so the calorie content can be estimated pretty well. It also tastes excellent, so is worth the $$ of eating out. And a restaurant typically won't feel the need to doctor it with added fat and sugar to make it palatable since it is good on its own. If it's a larger steak, cut off 1/2 or 2/3 and take home for another 1-2 meals.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Relser wrote: »

weight watchers suggests asking for a to go box at the beginning and cut your food in half, and put half right in the box. On the plus side, that means you don't touch that food so if you don't want to eat it later you can ask anyone at the table if they want to take it home with them.

Yep- I pretty much always do this.
  • hlblakeley
    hlblakeley Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I have a husband and 3 teenagers so eating out (burgers, pizza, fried chicken) is always something they want. I also have a job that requires me to frequently be on the road at meal times and there are the inevitable lunch meetings. I am still learning when it comes to these situations, but since it does add up to multiple meals a week (sometimes in a day) I am working on coming up with strategies. For those times when I've got to be on the road during a meal, I'm keeping some portable meals in my work bag. Belvita biscuits are great, have variety in flavors and fill me up since I can eat them one at a time. Also portable tuna packets, dried fruits etc. When it comes to the lunch meetings (required boo...) I order salad or grilled meat or child portions. When it comes to the family, since it's usually take out that we eat at home, I'm working on letting them order then eating something from home for myself. Learning and it will take time, but I'll get there.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Steak sandwich with a salad (dressing on the side) is pretty common pub fare. Skip the bread, if you want. Or if you can link us to the menu, we can help pick out a couple of reasonable options.

As for estimating calories, just look for what you're having in the food database. Pick a middle-of-the-road entry. Anything that actually lists the serving size is good. It will be a guess, but frankly, all restaurant entries are a guess. Even if you have one from the place you're going, the odds of getting the exact serving size and prep method that were listed for that entry are slim.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Another option--could you suggest moving this meal to a restaurant with better options for you? Like a Panera or other chain restaurant where they share out the nutritional info and have some reasonable choices?
  • cwolfman13
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »

every week. It's not a birthday meal, or a one off. It's a regular thing. That's the problem.

I eat out once per week...it's one meal per week...who cares if it's every week...it's really not particularly material to the whole. Eat a bit less for breakfast...have a lighter dinner...it all comes out in the wash.

I don't define eating out once per week as being a lot...I know people who eat out pretty much daily and though I couldn't do that (particularly as I don't log), it doesn't seem to have held them back any.
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    If you always go to the same pub, at least you only have one menu to suss out. Just order a meal and then only eat half, or a third, of it. Box the rest and have it for lunch the next day. (If they do this in the UK? It's common in the US.) Or order a salad, if they have one.

Personally, I would want to find a way to continue going because it sounds like it's not just about "eating out", but is a special family time / family tradition.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

For you that might not be a problem. For others, it is. It's very easy to wipe out an entire week of a deficit with one meal. WAY too easy.
  • cwolfman13
    Options

For you that might not be a problem. For others, it is.

Why? One meal out of an entire weeks worth of meals seem pretty immaterial to me regardless of who you are. There are also other ways to compensate if need be. In the big picture, it's just not very material.
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    The problem is if you're aiming to eat 1200 calories every day, forever, and pub food can easily be 1,000 calories per meal, it's hard to make those worlds combine.

Oh, OP, soup is also a good choice. Especially broth based. :)
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I wanted to add, OP, pay attention to your body's signals. Stop eating once you're not hungry any more. That might seem super obvious but a lot of people (including past-me) get in this mindset that they MUST eat everything presented in a restaurant or else they're wasting food / money. But weight issues aside, what's the point of making yourself miserable by struggling to eat when you're already full? Going out to eat should be fun.

Don't be afraid to leave food on your plate.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    Options

Why? One meal out of an entire weeks worth of meals seem pretty immaterial to me regardless of who you are. There are also other ways to compensate if need be. In the big picture, it's just not very material.

It's not material for YOU. YOUR BMR, YOUR willpower, YOUR discipline...those things are all YOURS. Please try to respect that fact that we are all different and have to tackle some things a bit differently than you do.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    Options
    annacole94 wrote: »
    The problem is if you're aiming to eat 1200 calories every day, forever, and pub food can easily be 1,000 calories per meal, it's hard to make those worlds combine.

Oh, OP, soup is also a good choice. Especially broth based. :)

Exactly.

Yes I have no problem with a trip to Panera's or Noodles and Co. Healthy, delicious, low-cal soups at both places.
    It's the burger and breakfast joints that kill me! >:)
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I plan and enter my whole week into MFP at the same time. This way I can see where I can make little adjustments to accommodate for nights out. On days I'm going to eat out I make sure you do a workout so I have the extra exercise calories. When my BF and I eat out we almost always share a meal, otherwise I order off the appetizer menu, kid menu, or just I the server to bring a box with my meal and immediately put half my meal in the box. I lost 8lbs between Jan 1 and Feb 27 eating out at least once a week...no need to stress. Since you know this is a regular thing it should make it easier to pre-plan for.

Edit: One more tip, when you are done eating place your napkin over the plate. You won't pick at it and the server will pick it up faster. It also signals to others at the table that you are done consuming food for the night (for example, desert).
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options

That's the same if I told you that two meals are immaterial to me.

I'm not saying this to argue with you but truthfully I eat out on Sat and Sun, usually with buddies, and yesterday I just proposed to my wife that we dine out on Saturday and Sunday evenings from now for enjoyment and less work for her.

None of this eat out activities is significant if one knows how to manage the calories. If you don't eat at home you gotta eat somewhere. It all comes down to effective management of calories in/out but that's where all the work and challenge lies for most people.
  • cwolfman13
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »

Exactly, to you. Other people might find this a challenge. Don't down-play other peoples struggles.

I'm not down playing anything...I'm trying to show the bigger picture...people drown in minutia. And really, having a refeed day is actually good for you...