Run in the rain?

Options
13»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    76thrasher wrote: »
    Question for all the runners...I prefer to run outdoors. I have a treadmill at my house but I'm no longer an enthusiast. When it's raining out, but you have a scheduled run, do you throw on a hat and run in the rain--if it's reasonably safe? Or go the treadmill route? Or go back to bed?

Depends on if it's cold or not...cold and rain sucks...warm and rain is rather pleasant.
  • disasterman
    disasterman Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I love running in the rain. Makes be feel more badass. Lightning, no, but that's usually not a problem in my part of the world.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Running in the rain is the BEST! The only time I don't like running in the rain is when it's coming down hard and between 32F and 40F.

I'm looking forward to 12 miles in the rain tonight.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    I went for a six mile run yesterday in 87 deg F heat. It was vile. I'll take a cool rainy day over that every time. But my route took me up and down Heartbreak Hill so I was able to have a good look at how the preparation for Monday's marathon is going. The barriers and signage are ready to be installed.

I think I'd rather have a light rain Monday than 87º F heat. But whatever the weather is, the race isn't going to be canceled.

And that's the argument for running in all weather. Would you run in it on race day, or would you forfeit your entry fee and skip the race? If you'd run in today's weather on race day, run in today's weather today.

In 2012, the organisers actually offered deferrals to people because the weather forecast was unseasonably warm (85-90 deg F). Not going to happen this year. The current forecast is for 60 deg F, which is perfect.

60F is actually a little warmer than I'd like it, but it could be a lot worse. Looks like it might be windy though. I will take a light rain over wind.
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    I run as long as there are no tornadoes, large hail, or damaging winds forcasted. I live in Texas so we get all three predicted with alot of our spring storms.
  • GiddyupTim
    GiddyupTim Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I am with most everybody else here.
    I run outside because it's more interesting. I want to see what Mother Nature can dish up. If it is rain, it is rain. It often keeps you cool, which is nice.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I thought I'd hate it, but I actually kind of like running in the rain. I do wear a hat because I don't like it in my eyes. If it's raining AND windy or very cold then treadmill.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Light rain, no problem. My first year running I got caught out in a cold soaker and my clothes got so saturated and heavy that they were a problem. I also got caught out in a hailstorm a month or so ago and that wasn't super fun either. But a little rain? Fine.
  • ActivatedAlm0nds
    ActivatedAlm0nds Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    sympha01 wrote: »
    I also got caught out in a hailstorm a month or so ago and that wasn't super fun either. But a little rain? Fine.
    Dumb question, but did it hurt?

• zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    Does anyone have issues with chafing once your clothes get wet?
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    Pro-tip: get yourself merino wool socks. Not only are they super comfortable and stink-resistant, they also wick away water/sweat. I only run in merino socks, but I've found running in the rain to be quite comfy since I started using them. They can be expensive, but a lot of times you can find them on clearance at the end of seasons.

I also wear brimmed hats to keep the water out of my eyes.

I'm right there with everyone else, though, that I won't run in tornadoes, hurricanes, lightning, or hail; *kitten* that.

Caution: Get the real wool socks that are designed to be running socks. They aren't 100% wool, they're a wool-synthetic blend. The cheaper 100% wool socks you can find at Sam's Club or similar places don't work as well for running. Smartwool is good, Darn Tough is good, the pair of Feetures wool socks I have seems to have worn out too fast. But then, the Feetures socks were free for finishing 2nd in my age group in a race.

If you buy Darn Tough brand, they come with a lifetime guarantee. $18 or $20 a pair seemed steep in 2011 and 2012; but then I only spent $7 to mail in 5 pair of socks with worn soles and get 5 pair to replace them in 2016. I put an awful lot of miles on those socks before they wore out enough that mailing them in for replacement was more reasonable than just continuing to use them.

Darn tough socks are AMAZING!! I always try to buy them when I need wool socks. My first pair I bought was when I was 17 years old and they not only didn't wear out until I was 26, but they looked brand new until then! I actually didn't bother to send them in for new ones, I hate shipping stuff for some reason... but I felt like nearly 10 years for a pair of socks I wore all the time was worth it.
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    sympha01 wrote: »
    I also got caught out in a hailstorm a month or so ago and that wasn't super fun either. But a little rain? Fine.
    Dumb question, but did it hurt?

It was small hail so sting-y more than pound-y.