Toning exercises for the 300lbs+ club.

Options
2»

Replies

• wilmnoca
    wilmnoca Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Rybo (above) got it right. "Toning" isn't a thing. You cannot tone muscle. You either gain it or lose it. Start strength training now along with your diet deficit and cardio routine. Dont wait!!
  • joeboland
    joeboland Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    As someone who was a part of the 300+ club, I can't stress enough how beneficial it was just to start with a walk every day, and basic resistance (weight) training.
  • jvcjim
    jvcjim Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    jessicasmithtv has some walking aerobic exercise videos... she also demonstrates alternative moves for folks with mobilty issue (i started with her fall challenge videos last year here on mfp... i was over 500# when i started and her videos were my main exercise over the winter and with a calorie deficit i'm now under 440# and able to walk 3-4 miles a day now.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    I started doing Stronglifts at 275 and 60 pounds later am starting to reveal those muscles! It only took a few weeks to see big changes in my general strength and mobility in my day to day life. You are smart to start sooner than later. The website has videos of how to do all the exercises and there is an app that tells you exactly what to do. If you can't lift the barbell use dumbbells. If the dumbbells are too heavy use body weight. I started off squatting by pulling myself up using the kitchen counter, then moved to body weight, then dumbbells, and now I can squat 95 pounds. You would need a gym or the right equipment for the program, but I think heavy lifting is the most effective way to gain muscle. Don't listen to the silly people that thing big girls can't do anything but Aquaerobics and chair fitness.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone has some walking videos that incorporate resistance bands.

These are great - no choreography so you can modify anything that gives you pain

Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuDp6v_oL34
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken Posts: 1,530 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    This channel has a lot of very good videos for the obese,elderly, injured, or otherwise compromised individual. I encourage you to subscribe and give their workouts a shot. They have sitting and standing routines.

https://youtube.com/user/KozakSportsPerform
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    Lift heavy.....period