Eating what you want within calories vs Keto within calories

Options
k_e_l
k_e_l Posts: 44 Member
Hi guys!

Just wondering how many of you have tried both keto (within your calorie limit) & eating whatever you want (within your calorie limit)? What did you find was easier to do?

I'm asking because I have tried both myself & when I wasn't doing keto, I always felt hungry & cranky. So, I started keto last week & I do feel fuller eating at the same deficit, but I'm also fighting cravings to eat carbs & feel like giving up. Lol, I don't know what I want to do!

Share your experience with me!

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    For me, keto was easier due to the decrease in appetite and cravings.
  • thisbravelion
    thisbravelion Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been doing keto for 7 months and have lost 30kgs with it (plus exercise).

I have found keto fairly easy - I don't have any problems sticking to keto-friendly foods (as I like them a lot) but I do still sometimes struggle with eating over my calorie goals.

I used the keto calculator to set my macros - I didn't pick a huge deficit to begin with so I lost weight more slowly that some other people I've seen. But then I ramped up the running and the gym and the weight really did fall off me (at least the first 20kgs - the last 5kgs are harder!)

I really recommend sticking with keto if you can. Make sure you're getting in your electrolytes (I drank a pint of stock/broth every day to begin with as you need extra salt).

Keep on ketoing on :smiley:
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Good point @RedSquadronLeader I had the same benefits keeping my carbs to a max of 100g as i did keeping them down at keto levels.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    for me its just a deficit. I cant do keto due to health issues. I eat a lot of carbs too.
  • k_e_l
    Options
    Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply! Some pretty good suggestions here! :-)

I will continue to keto for a bit (thanks for encouraging me to not give up just yet fellow ketoers). I think some of my problem is I automatically set myself up to fail (in my mind) cause I'm so used to giving up after 2 wks on any diet I try.

Thanks for the electrolyte tip too! I haven't been drinking any broth just because I think I have always used a ton of salt on my food, but I'll start doing that...today in fact! I felt really nauseous yesterday & today & its most likely due to electrolytes & not enough water!

Oh yeah...also its really good to know I don't have to lower my carbs to extreme low levels all the time. I love apples with peanut butter, so maybe if I'm really craving something sweet, I can just eat that instead of blowing my whole plan! Of course I'll look for natural peanut butter..or even almond butter. :-)

Thanks again everyone!! Congrats on your success!!!!! :-)

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    For me, keto was easier due to the decrease in appetite and cravings.

Same here. When I switched to keto, I just shifted macros, not calories, and found it so much easier to stick to and the weight started coming off (and kept coming off, so it wasn't just water weight). Before that I felt hungry all the time at the same calorie level. There is a little bit of an adjustment phase but after a week or two, I found my groove and figured out my favorite keto-friendly foods and was good. It's not for everyone but I'd say give it another 2 weeks or so if you want to see if it works for you, just to see if you adjust and start enjoying it more.
  • k_e_l
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @EbonyDahlia man do you sound JUST like me! i've started over Monday many times too. i have so far to go its easy to throw my hands up & say "oh this one meal won't hurt, I have so much to lose, I'll just pig out today, tomorrow, & start over Monday"....which is how i got to where i am today. & actually today I was fighting the urge to give up & get McDonalds drive thru. but this "urge" wasn't the same as feeling hungry kind of urge. It was a craving kind of urge & not enough willpower. But, I stuck to it & ate my omelette dinner & feel a lot better now. proud of myself for not giving in! :-)

thanks for suggesting the SF jello & whipped cream. totally forgot i could do that! i like diet iced tea & diet coke...do you think those would make me crave sugar/carbs more? or are they ok to drink?
  • BobBruff
    BobBruff Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @k_e_l, I've been having some similar struggles lately. I've recently been experimenting with keto and I've had good results both from losing a few pound and feeling a lot more satisfied. Before dabbling in keto I was eating (and drinking) a LOT of carbs. That was my go-to food, but of course I never felt full or satisfied and those darn sugar cravings/crashes were the pits. Especially that mid-afternoon snack craving. When I'm fully on keto the hunger is there, but it's not ravenous. :smiley: Anywho...I find that the times where it's been the hardest to stick to keto are the times when I fail to prepare. Carbs are such a quick, easy thing to find. But if I can get my keto shopping done and do my meal preps I'm able to stick to it much better. Thanks for posting your question! It helps to hear what other people struggle with.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I have tried both. Keto was just miserable. I didn't feel as hungry but I felt deprived. Pick your poison I suppose because it's exactly the same in terms of a deficit. I prefer to have more of a balance
  • k_e_l
    Options
    @BobBruff yes!!!! exactly what you said!! i don't feel miserably ravenous on this woe! i can go a lot longer without eating & at the same calorie level. my skin is looking a lot better too. no bumps. you are exactly right about planning. when i feel the most tempted is when i need to do some grocery shopping & tempting carbs are in the cabinet calling my name haha. or when i'm out & about. but since i'm not ravenous between meals, if i am out & about & start to feel hungry, i just get a large diet coke & it holds me over til i get home.

glad i could help others with the same struggle & happy to know i'm not alone! good luck on your keto journey! :-)
  • lundy2626
    lundy2626 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Our whole life we habe been fed the fat begets fat scenario but it's no longer the case with many recent studies as I'm sure you know. We also have been fed carbs and sugars our entire life, causing water retention, unnecessary inflammation and making us insulin sensitive. You will crave carbs for a couple more weeks because your body wants what it always had. If you feel as if you think quicker or this diet helps you physically then stick with it. YOU CAN DO IT!
  • Spiffy_Barbarella
    Spiffy_Barbarella Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Keto works because it suppresses your appetite, so you eat less. Calories in, calories out.