Cricket flour?

Options
Am I the only one disgusted and repulsed by this?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I'm oddly fascinated. Though I did try deep fried crickets in Thailand, so I guess I'm not easily put off ;)
  • ActivatedAlm0nds
    ActivatedAlm0nds Posts: 169 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    No, I don't consider a cricket different from any other animal. Factory farmed animals live in pretty disgusting conditions, but I deal with it.

I'm upset because A) I want fresh or frozen crickets, like seafood is sold and B ) what's on the market right now is overpriced to all hell
  • ActivatedAlm0nds
    ActivatedAlm0nds Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    No. What's disgusting about a cricket?
    ewww, bugs r gross
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,979 Member
    Options
    I've eaten cricket tacos, so I'm not repulsed, but I don't quite get the point of making flour from them. High-protein, gluten free? I can't imagine it would work well in baked goods. Is it for coating fried foods?
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    Options
    Nope I'm not disgusted by it, why would a cricket gross people out but a shrimp doesn't?

Cause people don't know that shrimp are actually insects.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    You're certainly not the only one disgusted with the concept, but I am thinking of getting some and experimenting with it. I've got a recipe from Dr. Axe for gluten-free shortbread cookies which would work with cricket flour. I could use it in my bread and pizza dough, replacing a small amount of the glutinous bread flour with cricket flour to get the best of both, high protein cricket and gluten. Any paleo baked good that uses paleo flour can use cricket flour.

btw, I had a shrimp taco before answering.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    Options
    Nope I'm not disgusted by it, why would a cricket gross people out but a shrimp doesn't?

Cause people don't know that shrimp are actually insects.

Technically crustaceans, but very closely related!! (I just googled it, but in my mind it still just means "bugs of the sea lol)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Nope, people all over the world eat bugs, we're kind of fortunate I guess that we don't have to.

Cricket flour is actually a protein powder, the name is misleading. I don't know for sure, but I assume it acts like protein powder in recipes. As there are billions of crickets (and insects in general) it is a more sustainable protein source, and could be a game changer in parts of the world where raising livestock is problematic. Companies trying to sell it here as some kind of miracle health food are kitten asparagus baby sloths :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

Well, not the only one.
    I have had a phobia of crickets and I don't think I've conquered it yet when I read that it takes 5,000 crickets to make 1 lb of flour and I want to run from the room just thinking about it.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun wrote: »

Well, not the only one.
    I have had a phobia of crickets and I don't think I've conquered it yet when I read that it takes 5,000 crickets to make 1 lb of flour and I want to run from the room just thinking about it.

But that's so many crickets that'll be taken out of the environment... You should be embracing it! :p
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    But what if they're bred more :s

It would be in special cricket farms.... Releasing any would be loss of profit. I think they'll be trying to keep as many in as possible.

Although...what if someone forgets to shut the gate and they all escape?!? :o
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I'm only disgusted by the price. With how little investment, time, and space it requires to breed thousands at a time it should be cheaper. The price of novelty, I guess. Of course I would have to taste it to know if I'm disgusted by the taste. If it has a musty aftertaste or a weird texture I would not eat it, just like I don't eat chunk beef.
  • bpetrosky
    bpetrosky Posts: 3,911 Member
    Options
    How about a chapulines taco? They're delicious.

4b81bbfe-979b-4f88-b56e-16615b7a443a.jpg