CICO, It's a math formula

Options

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    @3bambi3 CICO works fine for say a closed loop system like a steam engine but of very limited day to day value for humans unless you are looking at it just as a concept and not valid science to explain why some of us became obese.

Calories are just one part of obesity.

foxnews.com/story/2006/06/28/10-causes-obesity-other-than-over-eating-inactivity.html

https://youtube.com/watch?v=lEXBxijQREo&feature=youtu.be
    It is just 5 minutes and with CC on no speakers are needed.

drnicoleavena.com/

wrong again ..

The cause of obesity is overeating calories coupled with inactivity. Please list additional ways, absent a caloric surplus, that one gains weight. So again, it is CICO, which is a math formula.

OK then what do you say causes people to overeat?

I hope #7 in the first link below and #8 in the second link will help you see why CICO can not be a valid math formula.

caloriegate.com/calories-in-calories-out/11-experts-demolish-the-calories-in-calories-out-cico-model-of-obesity

caloriegate.com/calories-in-calories-out/9-more-experts-lay-waste-to-the-calories-in-calories-out-cico-model-of-obesity

• GaleHawkins
    Options
    Sorry @stevencloser I could not find the numbering system.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    * ducks in *

@GaleHawkins:
    I think this article from a peer-reviewed journal is probably better for your purposes. The link was included in the Time magazine article you mentioned.
    https://nutritionj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1475-2891-3-9

Also, in your second list on the Caloriegate website, I think #5 (Dr. Attia's post) makes a better point, namely that it's important to figure out why someone is overeating calories and try to address it, not just to know that they are. Knowing that you're doing something can be helpful, but it isn't the same as controlling it. NB: I'm not endorsing Dr. Attia or anything else he might have said. Just that I think he makes a helpful point here. And I'm not disputing anything in the OP.

* ducks out *
  • GaleHawkins
    edited April 2017
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    * ducks in *

@GaleHawkins:
    I think this article from a peer-reviewed journal is probably better for your purposes. The link was included in the Time magazine article you mentioned.
    https://nutritionj.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1475-2891-3-9

Also, in your the second list on the Caloriegate website, I think #5 (Dr. Attia's post) makes a better point, namely that it's important to figure out why someone is overeating calories and try to address it, not just to know that they are. Knowing that you're doing something can be helpful, but it isn't the same as controlling it. NB: I'm not endorsing Dr. Attia or anything else he might have said. Just that I think he makes a helpful point here. And I'm not disputing anything in the OP.

* ducks out *

Thanks for the great link: A calorie is a calorie" violates the second law of thermodynamics

Dr. Peter Attia blog was how I learned to do nutritional ketosis back in 2014 but now he is eating more like 100 carbs daily. The man knows his stuff and is a true professional in my experience as are the others.

His point about finding the cause of obesity rather than just say I know why you are fat because you pig out too much is a great one.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    The issue for many people IMO, is that some just don't math well or as mentioned are just inaccurate in their calories eaten and burned. But it works PERIOD. Without it weight gain/loss/maintenance doesn't happen.
    And I'm the exact opposite. I math well, so figuring this out and learning to count calories has made weight loss very simple for me. If I go over, I don't lose what I want. It's a math problem for me. I find this way easier than cutting out foods.

Yeah, I'm an accountant...it was a no brainer for me. I just had to keep another ledger to track it...I keep lots of ledgers.

Geek.

Oh, wait. I'm an accountant too.

Through my years here, I've noticed that a great many people who have success calorie counting and otherwise keeping track of their CICO are in professions such as accounting and engineering and/or are otherwise a bit anal retentive about things.
    The issue for many people IMO, is that some just don't math well or as mentioned are just inaccurate in their calories eaten and burned. But it works PERIOD. Without it weight gain/loss/maintenance doesn't happen.
    And I'm the exact opposite. I math well, so figuring this out and learning to count calories has made weight loss very simple for me. If I go over, I don't lose what I want. It's a math problem for me. I find this way easier than cutting out foods.

Yeah, I'm an accountant...it was a no brainer for me. I just had to keep another ledger to track it...I keep lots of ledgers.

Geek.

Oh, wait. I'm an accountant too.

Can I join the math club? I get lots of spreadsheets from actuaries and listen very attentively while they 'splain it to me...twice.* CICO is a snap once you grapple with Monte Carlo simulations...plus it has the added benefit of dealing with food, not with death. YAY.

*I will swan about in actuary-land with my free calculator I got from a local arts organization. VERY IMPRESSIVE.

I'll allow it...

The math really isn't even that hard though. I'm a stay at home mom with an English/political science degree and I can't even help my 6th grader with her math homework. Somehow I still figured out CICO and lost 50lbs. If I can do it, then everyone can do it :p

No, the math isn't hard at all...when I'm talking about people in those fields and similar, I'm not really talking about the math...this is about as simple from a math standpoint as you get...but typically people in those fields and similar like data...they're a bit OCD in analyzing such data and other things...they like keeping ledgers and spreadsheets for everything...they tend to be very detail oriented and analytical, etc.

Anyone can do this for sure...the math is super easy...but I think in general there's a certain type of personality that does well with calorie counting in particular...it's definitely not for everyone which is why there are so many different diet plans out there...for a lot of people, those are easier even though CICO is still in play whether they know it or not.

This is what I was talking about in my first post in this thread. CICO loving arguers are stuck in the same crude gear arguing on a nonargument. As someone else put it...majoring in minor? Trolling? :)

There's no argument from me re CICO. I have no problem or misunderstanding with it. Nothing complex about it. I just don't care for the jargon. It's crude as a term used for describing something. "Eat less, move more", "Eat less, exercise more" are better language, but none of these, CICO included, is significant a piece of info. or any real revelation for me.

It would be million times better if someone posted new insights, ways to make dieting better, more effortless, even that would only help a handful of people... That would be worthwhile.
    Lol, you have that now. It's advertised all over the internet. Nutrisystem, paleo, Weight watchers, Atkins, etc. are ALL "insights" on how easy and effortless it is to do THEIR DIET PLAN. All it really is is CICO hidden behind a money making scheme. Tell me, how is that a million times better than just figuring out that you need to eat less than you burn?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I'm not going to speak for those systems. I rather keep an open mind and extract useful elements if there's any from anything.

I, and many people I know, already figured out the fact that I need to eat less than I burn, just as I figured out fire is hot. That piece of knowledge alone doesn't help anyone or anything.

It seems quite rude to me to say that this knowledge can't help anyone or anything when people in this thread have acknowledged how it helped them. I don't know why you have such a strong reaction to a post meant to clarify an oft misunderstood point, but dehumanizing these people doesn't feel cool to me.

And I think you are rude to think so negatively about people you don't know.
  • endlessfall16
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    "Eat less, move more" is generally a fine way of helping people to lose weight. That said, one could easily argue that it's inherently less helpful than explaining CICO. With the former, the questions then become, "eat how much less?" And "move how much more?"

That's where explaining the concept of CICO becomes better. It tells the person, "eat however much less and move however much more so that you end up burning more Calories/energy than you consume."

I'm not against any language that helps people. The difference between you and me is that I don't make a Rocky Mountain out of an anthill with a particular concept.

As to your question, the adviser could easily tell the dieter to cut back 1/4 anytime he eats, for example. Go about your day the same, don't mind any calorie or equation, eat your usual foods but push 1/4 of the amount aside. I guarantee that will work.

Btw, I know quite many elder people who would never read label for calories and nutrition info. Luckily they don't have to.

This might work fine if you're someone who eats the same thing day after day (although even then people are prone to making bad estimates of what they used to eat if they weren't actually measuring it, and inflating what they think is 25% less over time), but if you eat a wide variety of foods, and variety of meals and calorie totals from day to day, it doesn't work. If an adviser told me to eat 25% less, my response would be 25% less than what? Even if we're talking about a single meal, like spaghetti with tomato-meat sauce, there was no "usual" amount I would have. One day I might be hungry and have seconds. Another day I might have had a late lunch, and would only have a small amount of spaghetti for dinner.

I think you are trying too hard to find flaws. :)

Majority of people eat the same foods in a cycle (a week, 5 days, 10 days)
    You can focus on only calorie dense foods such as meat and pasta, and ignore boiled veggies, tsp of sauces here and there. You gotta be very food obsessed or very undisciplined to overshoot vegetable calories.

My family eats from the same plates and bowls. It's easy to get similar amounts.

I find it surprising that you have a complete crazy schedule that you can't manage to keep a semi consistent eating schedule. I don't mean everyday has to be the same. Mine isn't. I can manage 2 or 3 meals for any time and I vaguely know the amount of foods that fill me up and importantly, absolutely keep me going healthily.

You can go with 25%, but 20% doesn't hurt. Consult with the bathroom scale. If you're honest with yourself and dedicated, mix in a 30%. Point is, it doesn't have to be precisely measured.

I don't measure anything. I don't even know the number of calories I consume day to day. If I look at a donut as 350 Calories, I won't be able to fully enjoy it. I've been maintaining my goal range for forever.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    "Eat less, move more" is generally a fine way of helping people to lose weight. That said, one could easily argue that it's inherently less helpful than explaining CICO. With the former, the questions then become, "eat how much less?" And "move how much more?"

That's where explaining the concept of CICO becomes better. It tells the person, "eat however much less and move however much more so that you end up burning more Calories/energy than you consume."

I'm not against any language that helps people. The difference between you and me is that I don't make a Rocky Mountain out of an anthill with a particular concept.

As to your question, the adviser could easily tell the dieter to cut back 1/4 anytime he eats, for example. Go about your day the same, don't mind any calorie or equation, eat your usual foods but push 1/4 of the amount aside. I guarantee that will work.

Btw, I know quite many elder people who would never read label for calories and nutrition info. Luckily they don't have to.

This might work fine if you're someone who eats the same thing day after day (although even then people are prone to making bad estimates of what they used to eat if they weren't actually measuring it, and inflating what they think is 25% less over time), but if you eat a wide variety of foods, and variety of meals and calorie totals from day to day, it doesn't work. If an adviser told me to eat 25% less, my response would be 25% less than what? Even if we're talking about a single meal, like spaghetti with tomato-meat sauce, there was no "usual" amount I would have. One day I might be hungry and have seconds. Another day I might have had a late lunch, and would only have a small amount of spaghetti for dinner.

I think you are trying too hard to find flaws. :)

Majority of people eat the same foods in a cycle (a week, 5 days, 10 days)
    You can focus on only calorie dense foods such as meat and pasta, and ignore boiled veggies, tsp of sauces here and there. You gotta be very food obsessed or very undisciplined to overshoot vegetable calories.

My family eats from the same plates and bowls. It's easy to get similar amounts.

I find it surprising that you have a complete crazy schedule that you can't manage to keep a semi consistent eating schedule. I don't mean everyday has to be the same. Mine isn't. I can manage 2 or 3 meals for any time and I vaguely know the amount of foods that fill me up and importantly, absolutely keep me going healthily.

You can go with 25%, but 20% doesn't hurt. Consult with the bathroom scale. If you're honest with yourself and dedicated, mix in a 30%. Point is, it doesn't have to be precisely measured.

I don't measure anything. I don't even know the number of calories I consume day to day. If I look at a donut as 350 Calories, I won't be able to fully enjoy it. I've been maintaining my goal range for forever.

Eating 25% less while keeping energy expenditure the same is a good example of using CICO to create weight loss. You certainly wouldn't argue that you'd end up losing weight if you reduced your intake by 25% while also reducing your energy output by 25%, would you?
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    His point about finding the cause of obesity rather than just say I know why you are fat because you pig out too much is a great one.

The CAUSE of obesity is obvious -- you eat more than you should given your activity.

The real question is not why you are fat, but how to lose weight.

If you accept CICO, then the question becomes why am I eating more than I burn, and how do I stop that. The only person (for most of us) who can think through and answer that question, and it might have a lot of parts, is us.

This is all important stuff, but it really has nothing to do with OP's post, which was talking about getting to that first point which is true for all. Many people are there already, always were, never needed to say "okay, I need to cut calories and move more, how to do that." Perhaps that is true. But like others have said, it seems true that many, many are not, and even some of us who theoretically understood it needed to be practical in acknowledging that it applied to us and figuring it out.

What helps us eat less is not the same for everyone. For example, you say that not eating grains and sugar has been important for you. I cut out added sugar for a while and found it easy but not especially significant to weight loss. Cutting out snacking and focusing on other things was more important to me. I don't care much about grains, so cutting them out would be meaningless to me, except as part of mindful eating being important (don't waste calories on things that are just there).

Others struggle with habits of relying on fast food or not liking vegetables, which never applied to me, and still others struggle with hunger, which I didn't. On the other hand, I struggle with emotional eating, which many people have no issues with. CICO is significant to all of us; what to do after that will differ.

And no, I don't think I got fat because I was ill. I gained weight because I ate more than I burned. I also understand why I did not, but that's my story, not something that I claim must apply to everyone else.

@lemurcat12 while you have the cart before the horse as to what the importance however one may work on losing weight as one learns to address the all important question of "Why am I fat/why did I over eat?"

People that never addresses why they are fat will be the masses that will do a 100%+ regain down the road.

Remember humans that are healthy in all ways are not controlled by cravings plus they stop eating before they become obese. The concept of CICO is fine to keep in mind but it never will fully cover why I was obese in 2014 and several times over the past 40 years.

I have maintained for the last two years without cravings while keeping my face poked full of awesome tasting food for the first time in the last 40 years after I found my correct macro. The CICO is tracked and managed without daily monitoring by myself. My brain now tells me when to eat and when to stop eating on my current macro. I just modified it to 5% carbs, now 25% protein having reduced my fats down to 70% after learning old men need more protein than middle age men per some research. I got to a meal late this evening and had 6 pork chops that remained to play protein catch up.
  • endlessfall16
    Options
    @lynn,

"nd if I had to eat "the same foods in a cycle," always dishing out the same 25% less than some amount I think I remember from years ago as what I used to eat, I wouldn't be able to fully enjoy it."

If I understand it correctly, you don't eat the same foods in years?

How many types of meats, fishes and vegetables do you include in your diet?

If I try really hard, my list of vegetables is about two dozens. And about 5 meats, just different cuts.

Unless I'm really obsessed over eating, a rough amount of, say, 2 handfuls of green beans or 2 large zuchinni and one chicken breast suffice. If my day's activity is more than usual -- who wouldn't be able to tell? -- I'll add two cups of rice.

The point is, it's usually the same meats, same vegetables, albeit made into different dishes. I would think most people know their typical size of beef, pork, to consume healthily, give or take a few oz different. A person would be in trouble if she fluctuated from 8 oz to 20 oz and couldn't tell!!! Even that is hard to happen as you can ask your local butcher to cut and wrap any size you want.

Also, You can also lose 1.5 lbs in two weeks and then gain .8 lbs in the third week. The margin is large enough that no one should be able to miss.

If you are still so worried about unhealthily undereating, which takes a lot actually, keep some favorite snacks nearby.

"I just don't understand your insistence that there's something crazy complicated about actually tracking the calories one consumes."

Tracking is not complicated or burdensome for me at all. It's akin to separating beans by different colors -- boring, unnecessary and time consuming. In fact I got very good at tracking that that was all I saw and thought of when I looked at foods. LOL.

When I'm offered a donut at the office, I want to pick one most appealing and enjoy it unrestraintly instead of juggling the calorie balance or having the calorie decide my taste which is never good. That's just one simple example. There are group lunches, family potlucks, etc..
This discussion has been closed.