• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Best post ever.

upmx6s5mr5z0.jpg
  • Wynterbourne
    Wynterbourne Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    Why do some people who don't consciously calorie count and have lost weight get so judgey about those of us who just like the accuracy (within the limitations of energy expenditure estimates etc) of tracking? Or they think our way of eating is deeply flawed because we sometimes need or want to keep tracking in maintenance.

You do you boo and I'll do me.

CICO is the science, calorie counting/tracking is the method of implementing.

This is not a discussion about the obesity crisis. This is not a discussion about various methods of not counting calories and still losing. This is not a discussion about mental or physical illness that some experience which contributed to behaviours that lead to weight gain. This is not a discussion about your feels on varying methods or ways of eating. This is not a discussion about socio-economic factors in weight management.

In short, this is not a debate, take it to the debate forum if you want to do that. It is simply an explanation of the scientific principle at play that is behind all methods of weight loss/maintenance/gain.

Here, here!
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    OK, caught up now! (*phew*).

zyxs, agree how funny it is the way the thread developed!

MFP is effectively set up to track the number of calories you consume, subtract them from your daily allowance and add back any exercise calories you choose to put in to give you a larger amount of calories for the day. Therefore a) you don't ACTUALLY have to do any maths, just type in the numbers, b) if you do that you are effectively monitoring your CICO, whatever other "diet" (paleo, keto, no carbs after 3pm, only eat meat on a Tuesday or whatever) and c) if you are not going to track your calories (even inaccurately) then I'm not clear how you expect MFP to help you, except as an outlet for your views on diet, nutrition, training regime or whatever.

Remember the "black and white" or "blue and gold" dress debate? >:)
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    His point about finding the cause of obesity rather than just say I know why you are fat because you pig out too much is a great one.

The CAUSE of obesity is obvious -- you eat more than you should given your activity.

The real question is not why you are fat, but how to lose weight.

If you accept CICO, then the question becomes why am I eating more than I burn, and how do I stop that. The only person (for most of us) who can think through and answer that question, and it might have a lot of parts, is us.

This is all important stuff, but it really has nothing to do with OP's post, which was talking about getting to that first point which is true for all. Many people are there already, always were, never needed to say "okay, I need to cut calories and move more, how to do that." Perhaps that is true. But like others have said, it seems true that many, many are not, and even some of us who theoretically understood it needed to be practical in acknowledging that it applied to us and figuring it out.

What helps us eat less is not the same for everyone. For example, you say that not eating grains and sugar has been important for you. I cut out added sugar for a while and found it easy but not especially significant to weight loss. Cutting out snacking and focusing on other things was more important to me. I don't care much about grains, so cutting them out would be meaningless to me, except as part of mindful eating being important (don't waste calories on things that are just there).

Others struggle with habits of relying on fast food or not liking vegetables, which never applied to me, and still others struggle with hunger, which I didn't. On the other hand, I struggle with emotional eating, which many people have no issues with. CICO is significant to all of us; what to do after that will differ.

And no, I don't think I got fat because I was ill. I gained weight because I ate more than I burned. I also understand why I did not, but that's my story, not something that I claim must apply to everyone else.

@lemurcat12 while you have the cart before the horse as to what the importance however one may work on losing weight as one learns to address the all important question of "Why am I fat/why did I over eat?"

People that never addresses why they are fat will be the masses that will do a 100%+ regain down the road.

Remember humans that are healthy in all ways are not controlled by cravings plus they stop eating before they become obese. The concept of CICO is fine to keep in mind but it never will fully cover why I was obese in 2014 and several times over the past 40 years.

I have maintained for the last two years without cravings while keeping my face poked full of awesome tasting food for the first time in the last 40 years after I found my correct macro. The CICO is tracked and managed without daily monitoring by myself. My brain now tells me when to eat and when to stop eating on my current macro. I just modified it to 5% carbs, now 25% protein having reduced my fats down to 70% after learning old men need more protein than middle age men per some research. I got to a meal late this evening and had 6 pork chops that remained to play protein catch up.

This is a new thing with people following ketogenic. You act like we are not doing the same thing. Hell, my wife and I don't go out as much because of how good of a cook I am and she prefers my cooking over many restaurants. And I live in one of the richest places in the US and have new restaurants open weekly.

Here is why I went from 175 to 220.... it's called college. I ate and drink like complete crap. In fact, I had a whole month where I ate burgers every night because a few of my friends and I supported our dance team and bought cards which allowed buy one get one at McDonalds. I frequently drank alcohol, had cheesesteaks pretty much 2 to 3 nights a week, chinese several nights a week and much more. I got fat because I stopped playing soccer and ice hockey, and still ate like I used to.

That assumption always baffles me. Why do some people think that if you're not doing low carb you're constantly starving, craving and torturing yourself with minuscule amounts of food. The minuscule amounts of food is one reason I DID NOT do well on low carb and I was constantly starving, craving and torturing myself. Stuffing my face poked full of awesome tasting food would have required me to eat twice my maintenance calories. Mileage may vary, you know.

Nah, mileage may not vary, you can only get so much food on a high fat diet. It has over twice the calories of an equal amount of carbs, everything else equal it's going to be less food, always.

Similar the proclamations that they eat so much more vegetables now that they're low carb. Vegetables, whose calories are made up of about 80%+ carbs. There's no way you're able to eat more vegetables on low carb than non-low carb, you only choose more vegetables now even though you had a way higher potential for eating them before.

I meant satiety mileage, but you are right. It's funny you would mention vegetables. I get it if someone ends up having to replace poptarts with vegetables increasing their overall vegetable consumption, but I got weird looks when I struggled with the concept of having to reduce my vegetable intake to fit the carb budget. To show what I'm talking about, here is yesterday:

4njdzcsjlxf6.png

The last two months are an exception because of Lent, but I average 50-65 grams of fiber in normal circumstances without supplements so it's still more than a ketogenic diet can offer me.
  • kclaar11
    kclaar11 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    @3bambi3 CICO works fine for say a closed loop system like a steam engine but of very limited day to day value for humans unless you are looking at it just as a concept and not valid science to explain why some of us became obese.

Calories are just one part of obesity.

foxnews.com/story/2006/06/28/10-causes-obesity-other-than-over-eating-inactivity.html

https://youtube.com/watch?v=lEXBxijQREo&feature=youtu.be
    It is just 5 minutes and with CC on no speakers are needed.

drnicoleavena.com/

YOu are listing variables on either side of the equation.

Making either side of the equation more complex? DOes not change the fact that it is an equation.

x+y=z is an equation.
    ax +by = z is ALSO an equation.

sin(x) - cos(y)^2 + 42 = z is ALSO an equation.

And even 42x + log(y) = (sqrt)z - cos(b) + q^x-1.

Adding variables and calculations on eithe rside of the equal sign doesn't change the inherent equation-ness. It just indicates that you need more information on both sides of the equal sign in order to find the solution.

It's just a way to describe a function, its not a lifestyle choice.

This was perfect...plus numbers and equations make me happy
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    savithny wrote: »
    @3bambi3 CICO works fine for say a closed loop system like a steam engine but of very limited day to day value for humans unless you are looking at it just as a concept and not valid science to explain why some of us became obese.

Calories are just one part of obesity.

foxnews.com/story/2006/06/28/10-causes-obesity-other-than-over-eating-inactivity.html

https://youtube.com/watch?v=lEXBxijQREo&feature=youtu.be
    It is just 5 minutes and with CC on no speakers are needed.

drnicoleavena.com/

YOu are listing variables on either side of the equation.

Making either side of the equation more complex? DOes not change the fact that it is an equation.

x+y=z is an equation.
    ax +by = z is ALSO an equation.

sin(x) - cos(y)^2 + 42 = z is ALSO an equation.

And even 42x + log(y) = (sqrt)z - cos(b) + q^x-1.

Adding variables and calculations on eithe rside of the equal sign doesn't change the inherent equation-ness. It just indicates that you need more information on both sides of the equal sign in order to find the solution.

It's just a way to describe a function, its not a lifestyle choice.

Thing is, you don't have to make the plan more complicated and try to account for every nuance and (c)alorie. Because there is a feedback loop involved. You can control how many Calories you eat, as an estimate, and how many you burn, as an estimate, and see the results. If you lose weight too slow, maybe up your activity or eat less. Even if you were closer on the CI side and were out on the CO side, it doesn't matter which you adjust for as long as the results fall in line. So if you underestimate your food by 10%, don't see the expected results you can not change your food intake and logging, but up your activity to compensate.

This discussion has been closed.