Vitamins or pills to help stay regular!

Options
2»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'm not sure why docs push fiber so much. Yes, it can be somewhat helpful, but fiber will often stop people up worse. Increasing fats in your diet and adding mag and/or enzymes (if needed) will avoid potential fiber stop up issues.

Fiber does it for me.. fats don't. I guess different strokes for different folks.
  • nrbutton
    nrbutton Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Corn or coffee, milk of magnesium as last ditch effort but a cup of corn with 12 ounces of water almost always does the trick
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I'm not sure why docs push fiber so much. Yes, it can be somewhat helpful, but fiber will often stop people up worse. Increasing fats in your diet and adding mag and/or enzymes (if needed) will avoid potential fiber stop up issues.

Fiber does it for me.. fats don't. I guess different strokes for different folks.

Very true. Every body is different. That's easy to forget sometimes. :p
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    A decent amount of fat in my diet helps on a regular basis. Coffee or a carbonated beverage helps with a "clean out", if its been a few days.
  • pennygm72
    pennygm72 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Prune juice is wonderful for unbunging, as a nurse I recommend it frequently when people get constipated as a side effect of medication, I used it when I was pregnant to great effect, just don't overdo it as the results can be explosive...
  • juliehmaui2016
    juliehmaui2016 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    First thing in the AM before I eat or drink anything I have a mug of really warm H2O with a bit of lemon juice. Can help things get going before I leave the house for work.
  • cprbrat17
    cprbrat17 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Don't over do the fiber, it can ha e the opposite effect, everything in moderation is really the best way. Theres always the option of walking more.
  • vtemp2013
    vtemp2013 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem for the first two weeks after changing my diet! Now I add a teaspoon of glucomannan (konja root) to my morning protein shakes for fiber. It has REALLY helped me stay full and be regular every day. It's also flavorless and affordable.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend has this problem. His solution is coffe. Mine, is copious smounts of veg. Look at my diary (it's open,) if you want to see the veg ,ethos. Or just drink coffee. Lol whatever floats your bost.

Too much veg (and fibre) has the opposite effect on me!

OP, coffee helps me, as well as another vote for magnesium
    wow, really? I guess we are all truly different. Whatever works though. We got to go!
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    nrbutton wrote: »
    Corn or coffee, milk of magnesium as last ditch effort but a cup of corn with 12 ounces of water almost always does the trick

Corn has the opposite effect on me. I love me some corn on the cob but it will stop me up for days! Same goes for too much fiber or too much protein.
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest prunes and/or dissolvable, flavorless fiber added to your drinks.

Like others have said, laxatives can cause additional problems.
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    2 tablespoons ground flax seeds in my morning smoothie.
  • elfridell30
    elfridell30 Posts: 4 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    My husband had this problem for years and it turns out it was a casein dairy allergy. My sister had it too but hers was caused by gluten sensitivity. Both have seen no problems since removing those allergens from their diet.
  • cnave99
    cnave99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Apple juice might help.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    My husband had this problem for years and it turns out it was a casein dairy allergy. My sister had it too but hers was caused by gluten sensitivity. Both have seen no problems since removing those allergens from their diet.

Yep. This was the case for my DD. Combo of food allergies and needing digestive enzymes.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Lots of possibilities.

Bottom line is play with your Fiber/fat ratios An imbalance either way will cause the same problems.
  • Zipbsky
    Zipbsky Posts: 99 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    To drink coffee every morning. I drinks tons of water everyday. I have a high fiber intake. I know what I am doing the natural way and it has helped make me go once a day or almost once a day but I can never complete a full cleanse and feel bloated.

If you have bowel movements every day you definitely shouldn't take laxatives. The bloat could be gas, it's probably not constipation. I think probiotics are your best bet.