Can't do squats without back pain?

Options
dudebro200
dudebro200 Posts: 97 Member
edited April 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I have been on a 1800 cal diet for the last 3 months @5'9 and a starting weight of 197 (age 35). I don't know if my form is getting sloppy due to a lower energy intake.

I did squats two weeks ago and lower back pain persisted for 4 days. I did squats on Monday and now I have lower back pain.

I did power lifting squats when I was younger, and switched to *kitten*-to-grass squats two years ago. Not sure if I got the hang of it yet.

I start out with 135lbs for 20 reps. Then I do either 225 or 180 for the next 3 sets. Usually towards the end of a set, my butt will lift-up and then my quads will engage. I can't really explain it, but I think that is what is killing my back.

I feel i should just stay at 135, but my ego gets butt hurt I guess.

Can I get the same benefit from a machine squat?

Replies

• Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Squatting to just past parallel is fine. ATG is a waste of energy.

135 for 20? Why so many reps? You're probably getting gassed.

And no, no machine will work like a squat.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    A machine squat won't do the same as a free weight squat.

May I ask if you've tried stopping your set as soon as you feel your form break? How's your back then?

Reason I ask is if that stops it, then you know what the problem is. You're going too heavy for too many reps. Either reduce reps or weight so you can keep form. Problem solved.

But, if that form break isn't the problem you need to look for another solution. Might want to post a form video for critique or just shift to an analogous exercise like you mention. Personally, I'd try different free weight exercises rather than machine squats, but that would suit my goals better. Not necessarily yours.

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    dudebro200 wrote: »
    Usually towards the end of a set, my butt will lift-up and then my quads will engage. I can't really explain it, but I think that is what is killing my back.

That's likely. If you have a partner, have them press down on your lower back as you rise up, so your butt doesn't rise faster than your head. With practice you should be able to train yourself to keep good form at any weight or rep. Are you looking in a mirror? Don't do this. Think inwards at your body position.

If you need more help, consider hiring a good trainer. Or at least upload form check videos for the trainers here to review.

To answer your Q, machines do work the leg muscles well, but they don't hit the core and they don't train functional strength (lifting ability). :+1:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    If the 135 for 20 is your warm up set you are over doing it. Do you follow a program or just make up your own?
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    I'd cut out the 20 reps @135.

There is no point to it from a lifting stand point unless you just want to be efficient at lifting light weights and not progress.
  • dudebro200
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

There is no point to it from a lifting stand point unless you just want to be efficient at lifting light weights and not progress.

Some study came out recently that suggest all that matters is lifting to Failure. 135 @20 brings me close to failure, and feels safer.

I also heard that 20 reps is the best way to warm up.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    I have been on a 1800 cal diet for the last 3 months @5'9 and a starting weight of 197 (age 35). I don't know if my form is getting sloppy due to a lower energy intake.

I did squats two weeks ago and lower back pain persisted for 4 days. I did squats on Monday and now I have lower back pain.

I did power lifting squats when I was younger, and switched to *kitten*-to-grass squats two years ago. Not sure if I got the hang of it yet.

I start out with 135lbs for 20 reps. Then I do either 225 or 180 for the next 3 sets. Usually towards the end of a set, my butt will lift-up and then my quads will engage. I can't really explain it, but I think that is what is killing my back.

I feel i should just stay at 135, but my ego gets butt hurt I guess.

Can I get the same benefit from a machine squat?

i think you would get the best benefit from looking into a squat program , and using the right weight with the right sets and reps to achieve whatever your goal is, and don't worry about the # on the bar.
  • SonyaCele
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    Usually towards the end of a set, my butt will lift-up and then my quads will engage. I can't really explain it, but I think that is what is killing my back.

That's likely. If you have a partner, have them press down on your lower back as you rise up, so your butt doesn't rise faster than your head. With practice you should be able to train yourself to keep good form at any weight or rep. Are you looking in a mirror? Don't do this. Think inwards at your body position.

If you need more help, consider hiring a good trainer. Or at least upload form check videos for the trainers here to review.

To answer your Q, machines do work the leg muscles well, but they don't hit the core and they don't train functional strength (lifting ability). :+1:

what? that's a really dangerous idea to be pushing on someone when they have a ton of weight on their back.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    dudebro, what are you doing?

I get lower back pain on my five reps when my form gets sloppy; specifically, if I lose tightness and my lumbar doesn't stay locked in extension. Doing 20-rep sets is a good way to lose that tightness without any benefit of strength gains.
  • SonyaCele
    Options

Some study came out recently that suggest all that matters is lifting to Failure. 135 @20 brings me close to failure, and feels safer.

its clearly not safer if you are hurting your back.

And lifting to failure isn't all that matters, there are a zillion studies out there all saying something different. But if that recent study is the one you want to explore, that's great, however you can reach failure in 1 rep or 20 reps. So the # of reps has nothing to do with reaching failure.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Do you have a significant butt wink?
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options

Basically, you're letting your hips come out from underneath in order to use the momentum to finish the hard part of the lift. This in turn is causing you lower back to do most of the lifting instead of your glutes and hamstrings.

One trick I was taught to fix this is the pinch a penny method. Basically, when you start you ascent, imagine you have a penny barely tucked between you butt cheeks that you need to squeeze tight to keep it there through the ascent. This will help remind you to engage your glutes muscles, which in turn engage the hip flexors, to prevent the hips from popping out.

• Chieflrg
    Options

No offense but there is plenty of hard data over the past 2-3 decades that prove otherwise.

I'm not trying to down you bud, it just sounds more like something random a goof youtuber would say. I've never heard of a warm up set that requires failure.

If you are having pain, it's probably from poor form along with too heavy of a weight. A common problem it could be is your abs/back might not be ready for that weight.

My suggestion might be to work a adequate warm up and do 3x5 at a weight that doesnt break form and add 5lbs each time for a while. Progress slowly and forget about the failure idea. That only premotes bad form for a novice lifter.

• maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm with everyone else. Nix the 135lbsx20. Especially as a warmup set, 20 reps is too much. Do pause squats, pin squats, whatever assistance you can to help prevent form breakdown. Also, don't neglect some dynamic stretches before you squat and to stretch out any areas of your body where you experience tightness. Lastly, be deliberate with each and every rep you take, and don't rush to get your sets done. The more you rush your set, the more likely you will notice form breakdown. This video helped me big time; I like how he explains imagining that you have someone pushing you down, and you are trying to resist this pressure. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB8KekoCeNg
  • joshuak30
    joshuak30 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I will echo what others have said regarding the 20-rep "warmup" set. That's far too much volume to be considered a warmup.

One other thing is, when you're in a deficit, you have to pick one - volume or intensity. When in a calorie deficit you can't possibly hope to achieve a high volume of reps with good intensity throughout due to the lack of available muscle glycogen. You have to do less volume with high intensity if you intend to get stronger.

Also, the various supporting muscles involved in squatting need more time to adjust to the lift after significant time off. Take it slow and you'll be rewarded.

There are a few quality youtube tutorials, but you have to already know what to look for. This guy knows his stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs_Ej32IYgo
  • dudebro200
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »

its clearly not safer if you are hurting your back.

And lifting to failure isn't all that matters, there are a zillion studies out there all saying something different. But if that recent study is the one you want to explore, that's great, however you can reach failure in 1 rep or 20 reps. So the # of reps has nothing to do with reaching failure.

No offense but there is plenty of hard data over the past 2-3 decades that prove otherwise.

I'm not trying to down you bud, it just sounds more like something random a goof youtuber would say. I've never heard of a warm up set that requires failure.

If you are having pain, it's probably from poor form along with too heavy of a weight. A common problem it could be is your abs/back might not be ready for that weight.

My suggestion might be to work a adequate warm up and do 3x5 at a weight that doesnt break form and add 5lbs each time for a while. Progress slowly and forget about the failure idea. That only premotes bad form for a novice lifter.

Well,

During the 20 rep set, I get more winded than anything else. My muscles burn, but it's not like they fail out. It's more like my cardio-system fails because of low stamina.
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    joshuak30 wrote: »
    I will echo what others have said regarding the 20-rep "warmup" set. That's far too much volume to be considered a warmup.

One other thing is, when you're in a deficit, you have to pick one - volume or intensity. When in a calorie deficit you can't possibly hope to achieve a high volume of reps with good intensity throughout due to the lack of available muscle glycogen. You have to do less volume with high intensity if you intend to get stronger.

Also, the various supporting muscles involved in squatting need more time to adjust to the lift after significant time off. Take it slow and you'll be rewarded.

There are a few quality youtube tutorials, but you have to already know what to look for. This guy knows his stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs_Ej32IYgo

Love how we both linked Alan Thrall videos XD. He really does know his stuff!
  • dudebro200
    Options

I got that from study that was linked here on this forum. Not youtube.
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    joshuak30 wrote: »

Love how we both linked Alan Thrall videos XD. He really does know his stuff!

Alan Thrall seems like a nice guy and explains things very well but he has since learned this that this tutorial is suboptimal. Of course if you feel high bar is for you, go for it...it's just Alan has changed his strength training and getting results.

Late last year Dr. Austin Buraki started coaching Alan and since Alan has put out a video showing why this video is obsolete in many ways.

Here is the newest video where he basically tells you the Rippetoe version of low bar squat and how he is learning to squat optimal.

https://youtu.be/bbNA17KjBzU