Can't do squats without back pain?

Options
2»

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    dudebro200 wrote: »
    I got that from study that was linked here on this forum. Not youtube.

I hate to break this to you but probably 90% of things posted here at MFP is complete bull. You should question everything you read from every source. Some studies that are published only have 10-12 college kids participating yet it is written as it was the gold standard.

If you want to do twenty rep schemes as warm ups, by all means do so.

I've done some pretty stupid things lifting weights for over 35 years and spun my wheels. I've done it, it doesn't work for most goals.

• SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    I'd cut out the 20 reps @135.

There is no point to it from a lifting stand point unless you just want to be efficient at lifting light weights and not progress.

Some study came out recently that suggest all that matters is lifting to Failure. 135 @20 brings me close to failure, and feels safer.

I also heard that 20 reps is the best way to warm up.

No offense but there is plenty of hard data over the past 2-3 decades that prove otherwise.

I'm not trying to down you bud, it just sounds more like something random a goof youtuber would say. I've never heard of a warm up set that requires failure.

If you are having pain, it's probably from poor form along with too heavy of a weight. A common problem it could be is your abs/back might not be ready for that weight.

My suggestion might be to work a adequate warm up and do 3x5 at a weight that doesnt break form and add 5lbs each time for a while. Progress slowly and forget about the failure idea. That only premotes bad form for a novice lifter.

uuhhhhhh.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    20 reps total as a warm-up might not be too awful, though in one set seems odd. Stronglifts has me doing 13 reps to warm up, though as sets of 5, 5 and 3. And the weight is about 40% of the work set weight, so OP is lifting more than that.
  • maranarasauce93
    maranarasauce93 Posts: 293 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    joshuak30 wrote: »
    I will echo what others have said regarding the 20-rep "warmup" set. That's far too much volume to be considered a warmup.

One other thing is, when you're in a deficit, you have to pick one - volume or intensity. When in a calorie deficit you can't possibly hope to achieve a high volume of reps with good intensity throughout due to the lack of available muscle glycogen. You have to do less volume with high intensity if you intend to get stronger.

Also, the various supporting muscles involved in squatting need more time to adjust to the lift after significant time off. Take it slow and you'll be rewarded.

There are a few quality youtube tutorials, but you have to already know what to look for. This guy knows his stuff: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bs_Ej32IYgo

Love how we both linked Alan Thrall videos XD. He really does know his stuff!

Alan Thrall seems like a nice guy and explains things very well but he has since learned this that this tutorial is suboptimal. Of course if you feel high bar is for you, go for it...it's just Alan has changed his strength training and getting results.

Late last year Dr. Austin Buraki started coaching Alan and since Alan has put out a video showing why this video is obsolete in many ways.

Here is the newest video where he basically tells you the Rippetoe version of low bar squat and how he is learning to squat optimal.

https://youtu.be/bbNA17KjBzU

Gotcha. I pretty much feel like Rippetoe is the go to guy when it comes to proper bar placement and movement patterns for the low bar squat. However, I do think the cues that Alan has used to help with his training and suggestions can be applicable. Pitching forward or having a "stripper booty squat" really isn't a good habit to get into and forces you to exert more effort with your back. That's why I cited the "squat sin" video versus his "how to squat"video.
  • dudebro200
    dudebro200 Posts: 97 Member
    Options

I hate to break this to you but probably 90% of things posted here at MFP is complete bull. You should question everything you read from every source. Some studies that are published only have 10-12 college kids participating yet it is written as it was the gold standard.

I've done some pretty stupid things lifting weights for over 35 years and spun my wheels. I've done it, it doesn't work for most goals.

The study seem legit to me, but I don't have the background to really opine on anything.

I am just not even going to do squats anymore. It's too complicated, and seems really easy to mess up with dire consequences.

My legs and calve muslces are very large due to my genetics, and I don't need to do many leg exercises to have the aesthetic that I want. I am not really interested in squatting large amounts of weight. In fact, I hate the fact that my legs respond to training better than my upper body.

Thanks for the advice guys. I am just going to quit squats altogether.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I am just not even going to do squats anymore. It's too complicated, and seems really easy to mess up with dire consequences.

Switch to goblet squats. It's a self-correcting exercise, and your hips won't dart up first. It also tends to be more functional than back squats. Add a few sets of deadlifts and lunges and you're on your way. :+1:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

The study seem legit to me, but I don't have the background to really opine on anything.

My legs and calve muslces are very large due to my genetics, and I don't need to do many leg exercises to have the aesthetic that I want. I am not really interested in squatting large amounts of weight. In fact, I hate the fact that my legs respond to training better than my upper body.

Thanks for the advice guys. I am just going to quit squats altogether.

On the plus side, without squats there's more time for curls brah!