Motivation, Success and Frustration Sharing!

Options

Replies

• mbam89
    mbam89 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    @Rachel0778 I thought I already posted a response, but I guess I never hit "post"! Anyway, I'm sorry to hear about what you're going through. I'm proud of you for continuing to take care of your health through this, hopefully it helps you emotionally, as well.
    @jdelaroy Good for you! That's so great that you're able to see such a dramatic difference. Way to kick butt on the rink!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Leanne, I don't have much of a problem with sweets, but my husband constantly battles it. He said what helps him is making a smoothie & having that. He uses fruit, veggies, nuts, flax & sips it with a straw. Because of hubby there are sweets around, so I have the chocolate rice cakes around. We have it with cool whip. Also I buy the sugar free werthers candies
  • janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Jen - RofR achieved yesterday - 15 minutes of insanity in the garden with Alistair - once I'd finished laughing at his effort to do a jumping jack :smiley: . Doing ok with the challenges so far this week - just need to get the Ninja workout in and submit some more points for our Quidditch match and I'll be pretty much up to date. Way to go on the speed skating and for not being lapped by the BF!! You are doing an amazing job with this and you are right to be proud at the sight in the mirror - it's an amazing feeling.

Two more days to go at work before my week off. Truly cannot wait - so, so ready for a break. But a nice news story at work today - I'm organising a massive organisational wide 2 day training event on request of our Director. She is a very tough cookie to work with and we've had a really tricky relationship over the last few years because I won't get down on one knee to tell her how wonderful she is. And she is so hard to please! I spent an afternoon last week with the external training provider putting together the proposal for the sessions and the Director reviewed it with the trainer yesterday to approve it (or not!). So I got into work this morning to be told by my manager that the Director is delighted with the proposal and that it is, barring a couple of very minor changes, exactly what she wanted. I think it's the first time she has ever praised me for work done. I shouldn't care so much but I am stupidly pleased to get the acknowledgement for doing my job well.

Anyway, enough of that - hope Wednesday treats us all well - hump day!!
  • melaniedscott
    melaniedscott Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    @jdelaroy Try adding the stuff and then using a blender (immersion or standard to puree it...then the texture isn't as obvious. Used to have a friend who was super weird about anything not super smooth and that was my response. She ate up everything I cooked. Sigh. Last I heard, she was somewhere in Japan, inflicting her texture craze on them. :) You did some serious kitten kicking this weekend! Way to rock it!!!

Welcome, Leanne. As I don't have kiddos, I can't comment on avoiding kiddo food. Maybe work on weening them away from the super sweet stuff so it isn't even there? Although, I joke about being married to a 7 year old (he only looks 45+)...but he's learning an appreciating for less sweet stuff...he is starting to think about poptarts being too sweet. I don't find sweet cereal attractive, refuse to buy the really bad stuff and have my own (crisp rice, bran flakes, Special K, Crispix...etc)...even Life, honey nut cheerios and raisin bran are a bit much (nearly too sweet) for me...If I want raisin bran, I do bran flakes with actual raisins rather than the sugar coated rocks in raisin bran. But sweets aren't my thing, I barely sweeten oatmeal (and sometimes don't).

@janetay01...lucky you! I don't get any more time off for two more months. Too busy. So cool that the director likes your proposal. I get it...there's a woman at my company who detests me (well, anyone who isn't her and has any influence on anything she doesn't...which is...oh, yeah, everyone) and a couple years back she was on a work group I headed and I brought in a concept option and she practically squealed, rubbed her hands together and said she loved it. It was vindicating. Even though I don't think I should care what she thinks. If she likes it, it must be good! Anyway, good for you.

Have a great rest of the week guys (wow, how quiet! where is everyone?!?)!
  • janetay01
    Options
    @melaniedscott - ridiculous isn't it, how we are affected like that by things and people that shouldn't bother us!

And yes, where is everyone?? Understand about Rachel obviously but wow, it's quiet!

Having said that, i will likely disapear for a couple of days. Busy Easter weekend coming up - play date tomorrow morning for Alistair with two of his little friends, hair cuts, shopping and swimmin on Saturday. Church on Easter Sunday morning followed by morning tea and cake at my parents. Then back home for lunch and a early Easter meal late afternoon. Then, joy of joys, we get to drive 250 miles to visit my father in law for 24 hours - up Sunday night and back down Monday night. It will be nice when we get there but it's a long drive! Then we get a few days to ourselves to chill out and do some nice stuff.

So hope everyone has nice weekends and that we all enjoy the chocolate in moderation!
  • PhedraJD
    PhedraJD Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    @mbam89 Thanks. I am loving the progress. We have been going almost twice a week for a month. Sunday's is family time, so I don't get to really skate. More like roll slowly, watching constantly. So Thursday night is the only night I really get to skate, and then I feel like a total goon. Almost everyone there skates really well, and can do all kinds of fancy stuff on their wheels. I am just happy if I don't fall.

@janetay01 Woo hoo, nothing wrong with being happy for having your hard work acknowledged, especially by a hard to please boss person. I completed my RoR. I need to still do my silent Ninja, and Dada points. Then I will post everything. I am envious of your week off. We won't even get 1 day off for the holiday here.

@melaniedscott Interesting idea. I will have to give it a whirl.

Sorry I missed yesterday. Thought I posted and realized I hadn't this morning. Nothing to exciting going on over here. I am still struggling with my calories, but so far this week I have been under calorie goal. Yesterday, I had to count my exercise calories. I found a Star Crunch (chocolate caramel, rice krispies all mushed together.) at the grocery store. Hadn't had one in years. I bought and ate it. It was yummy, afterwards I had an upset tummy. I walked for 35 minutes to burn those 290 calories off.

I woke up starving this morning. :( I hate when I wake up hungry. Plus I didn't pack a lunch today. Ugh. At least tonight is roller skating night.

Lets have a healthy day today.
  • mbam89
    mbam89 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    @janetay01 Wow! Have a good weekend! sounds busy busy!
    @jdelaroy Oh no! I hope things have smoothed out today. Have a good time skating!

I finally got to the gym before work today, but then I was starving all morning! I'm evening out now, though :smile:
  • Evamutt
    Options
    hello everyone, I've been doing ok. depends on how you look at it. I've been eating an average of 1400/cal/day. mfp gives me 1290, TDEE gives me 1373 for 20% loss. I've just not been in the mode to eat only 1290 lately. I'm not frustrated really. I've lost 1 lb in about 4 weeks. I'm not gaining. I wouldn't be terribly unhappy if I stayed at my current wt, almost 40lbs down & I wear 12-14 size pants, I used to wear 18-20. I'm still exercising at gym & started riding my bike without a dog , just for me. I'm still eating same way as I did to lose, only a little more, instead of 3oz of protein, I have 5 , have an extra smoothie a day etc. I also stopped having a snack at night as that would make me hungry. I would like to lose 20 lbs more. I think with the hot weather coming it'll be a lot easier as I'm not very hungry during the summer. How's everyone else doing?
  • janetay01
    Options
    Happy Easter all!
  • hustle_4_muscle_kc
    hustle_4_muscle_kc Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Not totally new to the app, I used Lose It for awhile but recently switched. Could use more/new friends to help motivate and get motivated. I love fitness, leg days are my favourite haha!
    IG: hustle_4_muscle_kc
    Snapchat: dancingcupcak3
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone (and welcome to all newcomers!)

Sorry I don't have the time to catch up with each of you individually today (I've got quite the pile of work on my desk from being away for a week). This past week was really rough emotionally. I kept it together shockingly well physically, other than coming down with one hell of a cold today. Thank goodness for whoever invented Dayquil.

It's definitely disorienting to enter back into my regular routine after being out of everything for a week. I'm hoping this cold stays minor enough that I can go to derby tonight. I had to miss the big game this past weekend and I really miss my team.

Losing my FIL was a huge hit on the whole family. He was a wonderful man and his passing was so sudden. We are just grateful he passed peacefully in his sleep and didn't have to suffer.

I hope everyone has a wonderful happy healthy week! I'll be back tomorrow to truly check in.
  • Evamutt
    Options
    glad you're back safe & sound Rachel, It must have been hard loosing him & sounds like you did remarkably well. Hope you don't get any sicker & get well quickly.
  • PhedraJD
    Options
    Yesterday I failed miserably. I was exhausted physically and mentally, plus stuck at home with my oldest (17) who has a sinus infection. After her doctor appointment, she wanted to go out for lunch. So we did that. I was good and ate in moderation, but it was high calorie, then got home and ate everything in sight. Ugh. Plus had a migraine, so I slept, and didn't do any exercise. Today the scale is up almost 3 pounds from Sunday. I am hoping it is water retention. Here is to a better day.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    @Evamutt Thank you for your kind thoughts. I hope this bug passes quickly too!

@jdelaroy Sorry yesterday was rough, do you know what triggered the binge?

Quiet board! Please tell me people didn't abandon ship the one week I was gone!

Yesterday I skipped derby since I'm still not feeling so hot and took the dog on a long walk instead. I woke up still sick so I'll probably keep my activity pretty light today (maybe a PiYo workout video?) It actually feels good to be back at work. I didn't realize how much I missed my job and my routine (I guess I really am in the right career!).
  • PhedraJD
    Options
    @rachel0778 I think a lot of people are still on holiday.
    Not exactly sure what triggered the binge. Maybe boredom/depression.
  • janetay01
    Options
    I'm here - recovering from a lovely but very tiring Easter weekend! Jen: sorry you had such a bad day, hope today is treating you better. Rachel - good to see you back, hope the cold goes away for you soon!
  • graphics1125
    graphics1125 Posts: 10 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hi I'm new here and trying to (I know sounds cliche), but loose some weight. 15lbs would be nice.
    I started at 210 lbs (I'm 5'10") on 3/1, and stopped all sugars and "in general" tried to eat cleaner. I quoted in general because I didn't try that hard, I just sort of tried, I figure baby steps.

Anyways by 4/1 , I dropped down to 200lbs and signed up for MyFitnessPal. I might be little impatient because the first 10 came off fairly painless, but I've been hovering 200-202 for the past two, two and half weeks.

Some symptoms of being overweight has been resolved like brain fog and the DIRE need for a nap around 4:00pm, have more energy and able to move again. Go figure.. eat better and workout and feel better.. duh... and that in it's self should be a great rewards, but I'm selfish, I want more! :)

I've keep keeping fairly good records in MFP, got a Wahoo Heart Monitor (so I don't cheat) to track my workouts, and trying to keep my 1500 calorie intake as recommended by MFP.

I know it's a little OCD to be measuring day by day, but it been 17 days and I haven't been able to get pass the 200lbs mark other than one day at 199.2lbs and back up again. According to MFP, if I continued to be at 1500 calories a day I should be at 185lbs in 5 weeks (starting on 4/1), but it's been 2.5 weeks and I haven't dropped a pound.

I don't want to be at 5 weeks and be at 200lbs, then I'll feel really discouraged.

A quick something about me:
    From LA, CA
    Father of 3 (14f, 10M, 2f) yup you read that right.. 2 years old.. :)
    Own my own struggling business, I'm not a photographer but sort of related
    I have a degree in IT, but I love working my hands.

I'd like to also make some friend to encourage and hopefully encourage my self, so feel free to add me.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best Wishes,
    Bryan

• PhedraJD
    Options
    @graphics1125 Great job on your first 10 pounds! There are numerous reasons that you haven't seen a weight loss this month. You can check them out on the threads. I will list a couple for you here without going into too many details.

1. The first 10 pounds were probably mostly water weight that you lost. (Most people do this in the beginning.)
    2. You aren't actually staying under calories. If you aren't measuring your food with a scale, and using the correct entries in MFP, you may think you are eating under calories and you aren't.
    3. You could be retaining water again. If you started some new exercises, weight lifting, ate a lot of sodium you could be retaining up to 8 pounds (I think) of water.
    4. Weight loss is not linear. In other words you may go several weeks and not see any weight loss, even though you are doing everything right. The following week you will see a large drop. Weight can fluctuate a couple of pounds a day. If you get discouraged easily, then only weigh once a week. (Hard to do for some.)
    5. Try focusing on other things besides actual weight numbers, how are you physically feeling? How many inches have you lost? (If you haven't taken measurements, do so. this is a great way to track, especially if you are doing strength training as well.)How are your clothes fitting?

Great start to a long and slow journey. Good luck, and post often.
  • iamrosiegxx
    iamrosiegxx Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi ya am new to this don't actually no how it works tbh I need a lot of motivation and this looks great so
  • Evamutt
    Options
    great advice jdelaroy, I found all that to be true. I take the weight I am first thing in the morning. This week I upped my exercise. I went to zumba & am planing to go twice a week in addition to what I already do. I'm also planing to go to a piyo class (palates & yoga combo) yes, I'm into classes right now. I'm so glad I can do it. Yesterday & today are a boring day. I have a friend who needs help cleaning her kitchen but also has fibromyalgia & a few other health issues, so I gave up volunteering at the animal rescue yesterday to help her but she wasn't feeling up to it so said we'll do it today. So she lets me know around 2 that today isn't good either SO I missed doing other things today & now it's too late. I love her & understand, I just should have had a back up plan. Today was my double exercise class so I'm a bit tired but feel pretty good. It was raining this morning so didn't take the dogs out & don't really want to do house work so.....I'll see what I come up with, it's only 3pm