Just had a massive binge and I feel awful

Options
Why do I do this to myself? I feel so awful now... I don't know why I keep putting myself through this it just seems like I can't help it. Does anyone have any advice on how to tackle binge eating? I don't do it often anymore but I've probably just undone 3 weeks worth of calorie counting in one evening. And do I feel satisfied? No. I just feel like a failure

Replies

• lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Stats: height weight age? How big of a deficit are you normally on? Do you exercise? Do you eat the calories back?

What sort of feelings do you have before you binge? Stress, anger, sadness, despair, frustration?
  • Tashlovesfood
    Tashlovesfood Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I'm 29 years old, female and 211 pounds. I can't exercise at the moment as I have a kneecap issue which I need to have physio for but I was told to lose weight first - so it's a bit of a vicious cycle. I've tested various calories and generally if I eat above 1400 maximum I don't lose weight. So normally I try to eat around 1300 per day. I do try to vary it but find that chocolate is my downfall. If I have one small bar I want more. I'm normally quite good at controlling myself and haven't binged properly in months however I have just been feeling really low this week and it's like I gave in to the struggle.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Log it and learn from it. It happens to me every few weeks, and no matter what, I track everything. My triggers are boredom and stress. What are yours?
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Unless you're really short that seems awfully low. When I was 210 i was just walking and I cut on 1900 cals. Are you able to do even default walking with your knee? It makes a big difference and would allow you a lot more leeway in terms of calories even just walking 45 minutes a day
  • SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    I do try to vary it but find that chocolate is my downfall. If I have one small bar I want more. I'm normally quite good at controlling myself and haven't binged properly in months however I have just been feeling really low this week and it's like I gave in to the struggle.

What sort of chocolate do you like? Have you experimented with different kinds? I love chocolate, and I knew any "diet" that cut it out was doomed to failure so I had to find a way to include it!

I tried a few brands and settled on an 85% dark chocolate for my fix. I can have just one or two squares of that and not feel the need for any more, but if I have something sweeter - even just 72% - I crave more and can't leave the rest of the bar alone.

If you live with someone you could also ask them to keep the bar somewhere and just give you your "ration" each day... the thought of having to ask my husband for another square kept me from eating too much of it when I first started cutting down!

It may not work for you, and obviously it depends on how dark you like your chocolate, but for me the answer was the darker the better to control my cravings. I also found that eventually - and it did take several months - I was able to go without chocolate for longer periods of time and I didn't need it every day or two. The first time I realised I'd had an unfinished bar in the fridge for about two weeks was a revelation that I really could break the hold it had on me. :) But, like I said, the sweeter it is the harder it is for me to resist so I try to limit the amount of chocolate that comes into the house overall.

• SueSueDio
    SueSueDio Posts: 4,796 Member
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    Unless you're really short that seems awfully low. When I was 210 i was just walking and I cut on 1900 cals.

Depends how active you are, I guess... I'm 5'6" and started at 217lbs, and my maintenance was 1900. I started with 1400 and gradually cut from there as I lost more weight, but now I've adjusted my goal to 0.5lbs/week and I'm back to around 1400 (because I'm very sedentary and don't even get 3000 steps most days).
  • mgookin
    mgookin Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Chocolate is my trigger also. I learned to only buy 2 or 3 100 calorie dove bars at a time in the house. And I break it into lots of pieces. I will slowly eat the bar over a period of maybe 10 minutes and it tricks my mind.
  • janjunie
    janjunie Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Why do I do this to myself? I feel so awful now... I don't know why I keep putting myself through this it just seems like I can't help it. Does anyone have any advice on how to tackle binge eating? I don't do it often anymore but I've probably just undone 3 weeks worth of calorie counting in one evening. And do I feel satisfied? No. I just feel like a failure

Start tomorrow with a better outlook. Recognize the feelings that bring on a binge and try something else, go for a walk, do some crafts, write in a journal etc. Tomorrow don't over restrict, go on with your normal deficit and forgive yourself for having a binge.
  • imabhealthy
    imabhealthy Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I find that if I make myself log every bit of the binge, I won't do it as often. Also when I do binge I stop sooner knowing the difference it makes on my diary. It's a work in progress...I try to count the small successes and not dwell on the missteps. Also, trying to eat too few calories will set you up for a disaster. Try to find a calorie goal that is reasonable for you. It's really hard when you can't exercise!!
  • SpaceToaster
    SpaceToaster Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Same for me with the chocoholic thing. I love the stuff soooo much & I keep eating more than I should, but I know that I can do what I put my mind to if I refuse to give up. Each failure is just a path to learning & success, so keep trying & learning what works. You can do it. Fail upwards & you will slowly but surely reap the benefits. Best of luck ;)
  • raindawg
    raindawg Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean OP. I got in a cycle where I couldn't go two weeks without a cheat night. And cheat night for me felt like I was only eating my deficit that day, not a complete bing. And just doing that seemed to cost me two weeks. Meaning I'd plateau that week of the cheat and it wouldn't be until the following week that I'd show a loss again.

I learned the trigger for me is a certain level of hungerness. If I let it go too long I give in to temptation and the flood gate opens. So now I eat an extra snack when I hit that level. I may be slightly over for the day but no where near what it would have been had I let it go.
  • TheJourneyToFabulous
    TheJourneyToFabulous Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Log it and tomorrow is a new day, I have had a bit of a bingey night tonight but tomorrow is a new day. It will happen we cant be 100% perfect all the time
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    SueSueDio wrote: »
    fascha wrote: »
    Unless you're really short that seems awfully low. When I was 210 i was just walking and I cut on 1900 cals.

Depends how active you are, I guess... I'm 5'6" and started at 217lbs, and my maintenance was 1900. I started with 1400 and gradually cut from there as I lost more weight, but now I've adjusted my goal to 0.5lbs/week and I'm back to around 1400 (because I'm very sedentary and don't even get 3000 steps most days).

Yeah I didn't do a lot of high intensity stuff but I managed to get in 10k steps and it slid off on 1900. I can't get over what a big difference just walking makes. 10k steps easily affords me a few hundred in comparison to my binge watching Grey's Anatomy days of 3k lol
  • Tashlovesfood
    Tashlovesfood Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your tips everyone! I'm going to try to start walking at a gentle pace and see if I can up my calories a bit. I might invest in a pedometer... hopefully I'll be able to start fresh tomorrow and not let the guilt destroy my progress...
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    @Tashlovesfood Open your diary so that creepy strangers in public can see it and snarkily comment upon it. They won't. Instead, people who want to help will say something very likely to be true and flowing from their concern for your health.
  • RedheadedPrincess14
    RedheadedPrincess14 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    For me, SOS free diet, was the only thing that helped but you don't have to do it forever. Cutting out, oil, sugar and salt for a little bit co pletely changed my taste buds but it wasn't easy
  • glassofroses
    glassofroses Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Drink lots of water tonight. It will help flush your system out so you feel a bit better.

Bingeing is a psychological behaviour so if you can't figure out your root causes then it might be worth speaking to someone professionally, for a little perspective. You sound like you definitely want to change and this might be the kick start you need.

Ultimately: food is food. It isn't good or bad, it's just a sliding scale of nutritional value. And please don't think of yourself as a failure. The only time you could be a 'failure' is if you don't get back up and try again. But you are so, just keep trying, hon. :heart:
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    I try to keep low-calorie foods closer at hand than higher-calorie foods. Like there is a Ziploc bag of celery sticks right here. The granola bars stay in the cabinet. The iced molasses cookies? They stay at the store ;p

... is it even POSSIBLE to binge on celery? I mean I've never been the slightest bit tempted, but now I'm curious.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You really ate between 10,500 and 21,000 calories in one evening? One day isn't the end of the world. It's when you do this on multiple days that things become a problem.