Only lost 1 pound?!

Options
Rajions
Rajions Posts: 128 Member
I've been pushing myself to the limit doing INSANITY faithfully everyday. I managed to lose 10 pounds the first two weeks. I weighed myself today (every Saturday) and only lost 1 pound..

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Three and a half pounds a week! You are doing great!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I gained 2lbs while doing insanity....

You're down 11lbs over 3 weeks, there really is no big drama...
  • Rajions
    Options

I know.. I was just surprised that this week I only lost 1 pound. Kinda put me down a little bit because I'm trying to lose 90 pounds.
  • Rajions
    Options
    Three and a half pounds a week! You are doing great!

I am proud of myself for that.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Rajions wrote: »

I know.. I was just surprised that this week I only lost 1 pound. Kinda put me down a little bit because I'm trying to lose 90 pounds.

11lbs in 3 weeks is pretty steep... you should be aiming to lose 2lbs per week, any more can be unhealthy.
  • tiptoethruthetulips
    tiptoethruthetulips Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    That 10lb in the first week was probably mostly a lot of fluid, it is likely you became a bit dehydrated. This week your body is compensating.
  • Rajions
    Options
    That 10lb in the first week was probably mostly a lot of fluid, it is likely you became a bit dehydrated. This week your body is compensating.

I know for sure I can't be dehydrated. I now drink only water, 4-7 bottles a day.
  • Rajions
    Options

11lbs in 3 weeks is pretty steep... you should be aiming to lose 2lbs per week, any more can be unhealthy.

I feel like if you are doing little to no exercise, then that rule applies. I went from doing absolutely nothing to doing Insanity.. I kinda expected that weight loss at my weight, plus I changed my eating habits.
  • TavistockToad
    Options

I feel like if you are doing little to no exercise, then that rule applies. I went from doing absolutely nothing to doing Insanity.. I kinda expected that weight loss at my weight, plus I changed my eating habits.

Why do you think that?

Your body can only metabolise a certain amount of fat per day, after water loss you're then on to muscle loss... exercise might help minimise that, but at the end of the day, losing more than 2lbs isn't healthy or sustainable.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options

I know for sure I can't be dehydrated. I now drink only water, 4-7 bottles a day.

The more water you drink (in reasonable limits) the less water your body holds on to. It basically thinks, "Cool I'm getting water all the time now. I can get rid of this extra I've been hanging on to."
  • Rajions
    Options
    Fittreelol wrote: »

The more water you drink (in reasonable limits) the less water your body holds on to. It basically thinks, "Cool I'm getting water all the time now. I can get rid of this extra I've been hanging on to."

That's why I pee all day. Sorry tmi lol
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Why do you think that?

Your body can only metabolise a certain amount of fat per day, after water loss you're then on to muscle loss... exercise might help minimise that, but at the end of the day, losing more than 2lbs isn't healthy or sustainable.

Please understand this. Not sure of your weight, but the rule applies whether or not you are exercising. Fast weight loss is either unsustainable (you'll give up and gain it back) or will start to cannibalize things other than fat. That leads to a serious loss of muscle, loss of hair, brittle nails etc.

Now if you are severely obese, you can lose more for a bit, but really, 2 lbs max is the safest.
  • darbunk
    darbunk Posts: 26 Member
    Options

The first pounds usually come off faster as you are losing water weight. Afterwards, losing a pound a week (on average) is considered good. Some weeks you will lose more and some less. Remember that a pound is 3500 calories. Over 7 days, that's a 500 calorie deficit per day. May be easy for some but that was not always easy for me. Also, women have to contend with a monthly fluctuating hormone cycle and that also can affect weight loss.

In any case, don't let it get you down. The scale is only one measure of weight loss, and quite frankly people depend too much on the number. The key is patience, accurate logging and being active and you will see results. Good luck!
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

That's not the way it works. You tend to lose a bunch of water weight at first and then it levels out, exactly as you are seeing. Consistent loss of 1-2lbs per week is great, expecting more will lead to disappointment.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Weight loss is not linear. It was impossible to lose 20lbs of pure fat in 2 weeks. That would mean you were in a defect of over 4500 calories a day. Weight loss is always fast the first few weeks because of water weight, shock to system, and just less food in general. Take the average over 3-4 weeks at a time. I used to lose a few lbs one week then nothing for 3 weeks then whoosh. You can't expect every week to have 10lb loses. 1lb is fantastic!
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    I know.. I was just surprised that this week I only lost 1 pound.

i can see that if the first few weeks set you up with the expectation of 5 pounds a week. also if (reading between the lines here) you've been 'pushing' yourself to a point that feels unsustainable for a much longer haul than you thought it was going to be.

but all the stuff others have said. it's hard to recalibrate your expectations, but another way to look at it is: the fast water loss at first doesn't really 'count' in a way. it masks what your body is doing with fat. now that you're suddenly only a pound down, you have more reliable confirmation that you really are starting to work your way through the fat.

• Rajions
    Options
    I know.. I was just surprised that this week I only lost 1 pound.

i can see that if the first few weeks set you up with the expectation of 5 pounds a week. also if (reading between the lines here) you've been 'pushing' yourself to a point that feels unsustainable for a much longer haul than you thought it was going to be.

but all the stuff others have said. it's hard to recalibrate your expectations, but another way to look at it is: the fast water loss at first doesn't really 'count' in a way. it masks what your body is doing with fat. now that you're suddenly only a pound down, you have more reliable confirmation that you really are starting to work your way through the fat.

That makes sense. I've been caught up in the hype of trying to lose 20 pounds this month like others have on YouTube. I know it's a little excessive to lose that much weight in that amount of time.. I just thought it was doable. Thanks for your comment.