Weekly Workout Routine for Women

Rajions
Rajions Posts: 128 Member
Since I have now become more knowledgeable about water loss and fat loss, I have been more accepting to losing 1-2 pounds per week. I'm pushing more towards 2 pounds, so I figured I'd start strength training (and more cardio, of course). This is where things get kinda confusing. I've been doing Insanity for 3 weeks now. I didn't have to figure out what exercises to do and when, I just put in the DVD for the day I was on.

I understand that not every workout routine is one size fits all, I just need a general base of what your normal weekly routine would look like so that I can build mine.

Thanks

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited April 2017
    Why not finish insanity? It's obviously working for you?

I'm a runner so I run 3x a week, bike & strength train 2 x a week and walk/yoga the other 2.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    What I actually get to do depends on what shifts my partner is doing and whether the children are at school, but this is what I could be doing on any particular day.

Monday am : Training run from 21k app
    pm : Zilch
    Tuesday am : Strength training 5/3/1 Squat and OHP (PT session on deload week), Zumba
    pm : Insanity, Boxercise
    Wednesday am : Training run
    pm : Legs bums&tums, Zumba
    Thursday am : Strength Training 5/3/1 Bench and Deadlift (PT session on deload week)
    pm : Circuits
    Friday am : Strength training (one of four lifts low weight high volume) (PT on deload week), legs bums&tums
    pm : zilch
    Saturday : rest day
    Sunday : 5k run

Obviously it's very rare that I actually get to do everything, but I do the Tuesday am, Thursday am and Friday am stuff every week and try and get at least one run a week in.
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    I do obstacle course racing, so my training reflects that.

Sun: long run
    Mon: gymnastics/parkour
    Tue: Crossfit
    Wed: yoga/rest
    Thu: sprints or hill run
    Fri: Crossfit
    Sat: yoga/rest
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Head over to this thread. Look at the beginner programs and choose something that seems interesting to you.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10332083/which-lifting-program-is-the-best-for-you/p1
  • jnomadica
    jnomadica Posts: 280 Member
    I think you'll get a lot of different answers about what works. I do a full body lifting program 3x per week, and otherwise make sure to average above 10K steps per day. I'm losing weight (with a calorie deficit) and seeing positive aesthetic changes.
  • Rajions

I'm a runner so I run 3x a week, bike & strength train 2 x a week and walk/yoga the other 2.

Idk what it is but it seems like I'm getting weaker with Insanity. I think my body is getting too stressed out.
  • TavistockToad
    Rajions wrote: »

Idk what it is but it seems like I'm getting weaker with Insanity. I think my body is getting too stressed out.

That'll probably down to you not fuelling well enough.
  • Rajions
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    What I actually get to do depends on what shifts my partner is doing and whether the children are at school, but this is what I could be doing on any particular day.

Monday am : Training run from 21k app
    pm : Zilch
    Tuesday am : Strength training 5/3/1 Squat and OHP (PT session on deload week), Zumba
    pm : Insanity, Boxercise
    Wednesday am : Training run
    pm : Legs bums&tums, Zumba
    Thursday am : Strength Training 5/3/1 Bench and Deadlift (PT session on deload week)
    pm : Circuits
    Friday am : Strength training (one of four lifts low weight high volume) (PT on deload week), legs bums&tums
    pm : zilch
    Saturday : rest day
    Sunday : 5k run

Obviously it's very rare that I actually get to do everything, but I do the Tuesday am, Thursday am and Friday am stuff every week and try and get at least one run a week in.

That's a nice workout plan. I'm about to start working soon (night shift), so I'll most likely do my exercises in the morning.
  • Rajions
    jnomadica wrote: »
    I think you'll get a lot of different answers about what works. I do a full body lifting program 3x per week, and otherwise make sure to average above 10K steps per day. I'm losing weight (with a calorie deficit) and seeing positive aesthetic changes.

I figured it be easier to to a full body strength routine 3x a week so I don't have to worry about leg day, arm day, etc. I'm already confused lol I'm on a calorie deficit too.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member

I figured it be easier to to a full body strength routine 3x a week so I don't have to worry about leg day, arm day, etc. I'm already confused lol I'm on a calorie deficit too.

I would agree that a thrice weekly lifting program would be a good start. You can do some cardio on the off days if you would like. I would do something like walking or biking to start. Over time you can adjust to either doing more or less and can gauge how you feel and if you want to up intensity.
  • Rajions
    jemhh wrote: »

I would agree that a thrice weekly lifting program would be a good start. You can do some cardio on the off days if you would like. I would do something like walking or biking to start. Over time you can adjust to either doing more or less and can gauge how you feel and if you want to up intensity.

Thanks for the tip! That sounds simple enough. Do you think I can add in like a 3-mile walk everyday? I don't get in enough steps on my FitBit.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,262 Member

Thanks for the tip! That sounds simple enough. Do you think I can add in like a 3-mile walk everyday? I don't get in enough steps on my FitBit.

That's likely going to be fine, assuming you are not completely sedentary now, which I don't believe you are. Many people walk as much as and more than that outside of exercise each day. I'd try it. Maybe ease into it slightly.
  • Rajions

That's likely going to be fine, assuming you are not completely sedentary now, which I don't believe you are. Many people walk as much as and more than that outside of exercise each day. I'd try it. Maybe ease into it slightly.

Okay. Thanks!
  • Ninjaeema
    Ninjaeema Posts: 21 Member
    I do 40 minutes/9 miles on my bike daily, as well as 30 minutes of yoga daily. I also work on my arms twice a week, and my legs/butt once a week.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    You really shouldn't create you're own routine. If you want full body routines of strength training routines check out starting strength, strong curves, PHUL, wendler 5/3/1(the one im currently running). It's highly unlikely youll be able to create a structured progression scheme as a novice. It isn't meant as an insult it's just a fact. What makes strength programs work is the fact that they're built around tried and proven progression schemes. Almost always using the 4 fundamental main lifts.
  • TavistockToad
    You do know OP, if you swap from insanity to strength training you're reducing your burn by about 75%
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

Adding more exercise isn't going to make that better.
    Reducing your aggressive deficit might do.

A mix of strength and cardio is great but exercise has to be fuelled properly.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    I think your weekly workout just depends on your goals - since I'm actively training for triathlon, my workouts are focused around that

1-2x swim
    2-3x bike/run (at least one is a long bike/right into a run)

then 3x strength (normally 30-45min) and 1x yoga on my active recovery day
  • northerngirl09
    northerngirl09 Posts: 14 Member
    edited April 2017
    Mine is:

Monday - Bodycombat class
    Tuesday - rest day
    Wed - Shorter gym session - 30/40 mns cardio and 30 mins strength which is my "knee rehab" programme - goblet squats, step ups to a box, weighted lunges, unweighted single leg lunge, deadlift, abdo work.
    Thurs - Bodycombat class
    Fri - longer gym session - 60 mins cardio plus 30 mins strength - goblet squats, weighted lunge, bench press, seated row, leg press (low weight), tricep dips, deadlift, bicep curls and abdo work.
    Sat - rest day
    Sun - same as Friday

I can't run due to the damage on my knee, so my cardio is switched around between hill walking on treadmill, rower, elliptical and bike. I also walk 2k a day to work and back. I try to make sure I eat back most of my exercise calories and drink a lot of water throughout the day.
  • mkkhoza1
    mkkhoza1 Posts: 45 Member
    So many options and ideas. I use fitnessblender.com...you can purchase an inexpensive program and literally your workout is scheduled everyday. Its a husband/wife who do it together and I absolutely love them!