Myth
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Myth
  • JeanieWww
    JeanieWww Posts: 4,037 Member
    Options
    hmm, that's interesting they all think that. I wonder why they think that.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Weird, huh.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    JeanieWww wrote: »
    hmm, that's interesting they all think that. I wonder why they think that.

"They" :laugh: (who ever "they" are) think that because it was what was commonly taught not so long ago... I'm guessing those of you that are so mystified were lucky enough not to have learned that and then had to unlearn it. I'm being serious... to learn all that junk and then have to unlearn it... what a waste of time. :s

Not too many years ago on MFP it was widely believed & taught... same as other weight loss sites, bodybuilding sites etc. Then it was debunked... no different than eggs once being evil because of the fats etc. etc.

EDIT: I did want to clarify my post was not intended to be snarky or rude. That was not my intention and I do hope it didn't come across that way. :smiley: Merely insight on why ppl may come on here and asked this particular question or others similar.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    What's your opinion OP? :smile:
  • kq1981
    kq1981 Posts: 1,098 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Watch out op "starvation mode" triggers a lot of passion here lol
    Starvation mode is a myth. Fantasy. There is something called adaptive thermogenesis which is a much better explanation. When we starve, after using all our fat sources (because we lose weight when we starve we do not hold onto it) and our muscle store for energy, our bodies use stores from internal organs to fuel energy and then... there is nothing. A dismal ending (obviously in the extreme cases where people have died from anorexia)
    Starvation mode is a psychological excuse and a way into our pockets through the diet industry to sell miricle weight loss cures.
    I too thought starvation mode real, but there is NO scientific evidence supporting this. It simply does not exist.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Depends what you mean. Is there a special switch in your brain that makes you gain weight on less food (the 'eat more to lose' idea)? Nope. Absolutely not.

Does your body have physiological responses to maximise your survival chances during a famine? Yep!

This is an easy, clear read on the subject:

https://authoritynutrition.com/starvation-mode/
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    It's real. What people generally refer to as “starvation mode” (and sometimes “metabolic damage”) is the body’s natural response to long-term calorie restriction. It involves the body responding to reduced calorie intake by reducing calorie expenditure in an attempt to maintain energy balance and prevent starvation. which can slow down weight loss.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options
    kaizaku wrote: »
    It's real. What people generally refer to as “starvation mode” (and sometimes “metabolic damage”) is the body’s natural response to long-term calorie restriction. It involves the body responding to reduced calorie intake by reducing calorie expenditure in an attempt to maintain energy balance and prevent starvation. which can slow down weight loss.

But if you're eating at a deficit, you are not going to stay fat, or get more fat.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    JeanieWww wrote: »
    Oh please. :/

Rude. Some ppl ask questions because they really want to know the truth and have been informed or misinformed. Treating htem like they are stupid for not knowing something is flat out RUDE. Ignorance is NOT stupidity.

However there exists a search function for information--"starvation mode" has been asked over and over for years. If you do a search you'll quickly see what I mean. Newbies should lurk for awhile and learn, in my opinion.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    kq1981 wrote: »

There is no scientific evidence of this occurring (slow down weight loss) Eating disorders clearly debunk this.
    I feel that logically doesn't follow. Eating disorders would only debunk that post, if @kaizaku had said something like 'metabolic damage stops you losing weight beyond x amount', which Kaizaku didn't. It was "can slow down weight loss' not 'entirely prevents' and "reducing calorie expenditure in an attempt to maintain energy balance". Didn't say 100% successful or people couldn't become underweight with long-term effort.

• jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    kq1981 wrote: »

There is no scientific evidence of this occurring (slow down weight loss) Eating disorders clearly debunk this.
    I feel that logically doesn't follow. Eating disorders would only debunk that post, if @kaizaku had said something like 'metabolic damage stops you losing weight beyond x amount', which Kaizaku didn't. It was "can slow down weight loss' not 'entirely prevents' and "reducing calorie expenditure in an attempt to maintain energy balance". Didn't say 100% successful or people couldn't become underweight with long-term effort.

Ya along these lines - isn't it true that people who have eaten at a severe (and unhealthy) deficit for a long time do damage their metabolism? In that later, when they switch to maintenance, their body requires fewer calories to maintain then another person of their same weight (who didn't have the unhealthy deficit). Is that the 'adaptive' change that people are referring to? I've just read of this phenomenon on another thread and am trying to keep this all straight. (I know that "starvation mode" as people use it generally in weight loss isn't a thing)