Lunchtable for the nerdy (warning: only nerdy people allowed)

Options

Replies

• vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    I may lose my nerd pass for this but...

I thought the movie Dune was Dumb
    Riding on the snakes was just... Dumb

Omg I always get dirty looks when I say I hate the movie Dune!

I think what we have to remember is that Dune READS a lot better than it watches, simply because it is such a complex story that it doesn't translate to screen very well, and they did not do as good a job as they did with LOTR or Star Wars. Of course, it was 1984.

What I wonder about, with Dune, and Star Wars, and many other "science fiction" tales, is why humans are still stuck in the same stupid political and belief systems, one thousand, five thousand, or even a hundred thousand years in the future. Is there no hope that we will have learned to transcend the religious stupidities, power struggles and inequality that plague us in these times??

"Oh Sky Cake! Why are you sooo delicious??"
  • j_bark
    j_bark Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    kace_kay wrote: »
    that's not to scale pffttt

Neither is your head with your body but we still love you. ;)

First laugh of the MORNING!
  • j_bark
    Options
    the-invincible-iron-man-marvel-comics.jpg

#PowerOfTheBeard
  • JstTheWayIam
    JstTheWayIam Posts: 6,357 Member
    Options
    Scariest movie of all time... Go!

The Exorcist...

When that girl runs down the stairs upside down...
    Scariest seen ever...!
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I may lose my nerd pass for this but...

I thought the movie Dune was Dumb
    Riding on the snakes was just... Dumb

Omg I always get dirty looks when I say I hate the movie Dune!

I think what we have to remember is that Dune READS a lot better than it watches, simply because it is such a complex story that it doesn't translate to screen very well, and they did not do as good a job as they did with LOTR or Star Wars. Of course, it was 1984.

What I wonder about, with Dune, and Star Wars, and many other "science fiction" tales, is why humans are still stuck in the same stupid political and belief systems, one thousand, five thousand, or even a hundred thousand years in the future. Is there no hope that we will have learned to transcend the religious stupidities, power struggles and inequality that plague us in these times??

"Oh Sky Cake! Why are you sooo delicious??"

Humans fundamentally haven't changed. That's why we can read Greek plays and Shakespeare and relate to it. And we're going to take our vices, virtues, weaknesses, and strengths into the future. Sci-fi that's too Utopian is just boooring. And stuff too dark is just tedious.

If you study anthropology, human have come up with ingenious ways of structuring society in a couple thousand years. And we keep re-discovering ways although not necessarily making up completely new ways. We hardly need to make up something completely new, just variations of ways we've tried before.

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    From the new Star Wars TLJ teaser trailer. The scene of Rey training on the mountainside is reversed.

https://gfycat.com/InsistentFewGoitered
  • JstTheWayIam
    Options
    Light duty is soooo freaking boring
    That's all I got lol...
  • JstTheWayIam
    Options
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
  • j_bark
    Options
    j_bark wrote: »
    kace_kay wrote: »
    that's not to scale pffttt

Neither is your head with your body but we still love you. ;)

First laugh of the MORNING!

unfriended

I laugh at her. Not you. Your pain is relevant and acknowledged. Let's watch Thundercats.
  • j_bark
    Options
    Scariest movie of all time... Go!

The Exorcist...

When that girl runs down the stairs upside down...
    Scariest seen ever...!

Humongous....

Actually I don't know. I was desensitized to horror at a very young age. However at that time, before I found all horror to be somewhat comedic?

Nightmare on Elm Street.

Last time I would run to get into bed so things couldn't grab me from under the bed.
  • JstTheWayIam
    Options
    The Exorcist is scary? I was laughing the entire movie.

Yeah... It still freaks me out...
    You know when you watch movies like that, you invite it into your home...
    Or so the legends say...
  • rogerlamar6
    rogerlamar6 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Want to see something that a nerd has a hard time understanding? Look up Hysterical Literature on YOUTUBE and try to get your head around the reading of classic literature. (Shaking head, clutching my pocket protector....)