How Good Does Being "in shape" Taste/Feel

Options

Replies

• endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    storyjorie wrote: »
    I think a splurge tastes better when you've earned it through hard work--that means NOT eating a donut most of the time, then really enjoying every bite every once in a while, and working hard with your exercise and diet the rest of the time. You can really savor every bite when it's a special occasion.

It can also work against people with certain mindset. When you have worked so hard and put judgment on whether to have something or not, especially on trivial stuff, lots of time it tends to veer into the direction that you rather not have it because it's not worth it.

Same "problem" with money. The more and longer you save for something, the less inclined you are to get it.

A splurge tastes best when it's spontaneous and unattached.

• Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    @Chef_Barbell ... but do you eat ALL the donuts?! :smile: I like to finish what I start, so it's either all or nothing with me. With that in mind, I've had to put down the Dunkin' and go cold turkey for fear of ending up like this guy ...

This becomes a personal question, that no one but you can answer for yourself. If you can't "eat just one", then it might be best to cut them out completely.

I thought I might have this issue with chips. I could eat a family sized bag in one sitting if I felt like it. And it would not last more than 3, with 2 being average. I now have a box of small bags of chips (under 30 grams ~ 170 calories) and I can eat one bag and move on happily. Others here can't and would eat a lot more than 1 bag if they had them in the house.

I'm more disturbed that you posted that picture.
  • reichardtjessica
    reichardtjessica Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I'm only 23 and already weigh 312 lbs (well before I lose 17 lbs lol) the last time I was remotely average sized/plump was 8 years ago. And I'm sure my doctor would say I was fat back then lol I was probably around 180. I didn't realize how much I liked being 180 until I found myself starring at a scale saying i was 312lbs. I wasn't skinny by any means but I don't want to be either. I like being chunky... Not morbidly obese. I love candy and I could certainly go to town on some glazed doughnuts but I know when I'm eventually fitting in my old size 13 jeans (not size 24-26 like now) I'm gonna be so damn thankful I chose fruit/veggies over those doughnuts. So as for your quote, I agree with it. There's nothing I want more for myself right now then to be back to a healthy size (by my standards)
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Donuts are pretty good. I mean looking good feels good too, but it's neck and neck lol Like other's have suggested, work a little bit of the foods you love into your diet. Oprah is constantly going up and down 50lbs I don't know I'd take her advice on food tbh
  • jusjoking
    jusjoking Posts: 56 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    So many "correct" responses. Just being honest, I still want ALL the donuts?! :smile: I'm not a quitter. I like to finish what I start, so it's either all or nothing with me. With that in mind, I've had to put down the Dunkin' and go cold turkey for fear of ending up like this guy ...

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

nice pic.

yeah, im a musician and I want to get really sexy so when I do an album i can have a nice sexy pic....like this guy

album-cover.jpg
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    storyjorie wrote: »
    I think a splurge tastes better when you've earned it through hard work--that means NOT eating a donut most of the time, then really enjoying every bite every once in a while, and working hard with your exercise and diet the rest of the time. You can really savor every bite when it's a special occasion.

It can also work against people with certain mindset. When you have worked so hard and put judgment on whether to have something or not, especially on trivial stuff, lots of time it tends to veer into the direction that you rather not have it because it's not worth it.

Same "problem" with money. The more and longer you save for something, the less inclined you are to get it.

A splurge tastes best when it's spontaneous and unattached.

I guess everyone has their own "taste" when it comes to what makes a splurge taste good. I enjoy and really savor every crumb of a splurge I planned for. Going out for an amazing Italian dinner with my husband on a Saturday night when that morning I ran 8 miles, after a week of eating as I had planned to do=feels and tastes great in every possible way. Eating a donut I didn't intend to eat "just because" doesn't feel nearly as good to me.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Being in shape feels... like being human is supposed to feel. Like this: "unit is properly installed and operating normally". Nothing special. But good. I can move, and I like to move just because I can. I fuel myself properly because it feels good. I eat great food because I'm worth it.

Make up your mind. Are you obsessed with donuts? Or will you miss them? You don't have to cut anything out. A happy healthy life is not about depriving yourself, but about balance. Depriving yourself means that you'll cave and binge. Eating to fuel your body means you will have to prioritize. Prioritizing means that you'll be more discerning. You will be looking for value. Value is individual, so it's impossible to tell what you'll value most. Some foods you believed you'd rather die than not be able to eat all the time, can become "meh". Other foods can become staples instead. Or you'll eat just like before, just less. And it won't even necessarily feel like you're eating less, because you pay attention when you eat. Maybe. Or maybe eating will feel less important. Anyway, changing a few small things can change lot of other big things. Or not. You'll never know until you try.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I'm having trouble getting past "something Oprah said". Not the best example of successful weight loss :)

And just to point out - the saying has been co-opted by the pro-ana (pro-anorexia) communities, so I regard it warily now.
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I eat donuts and I lose weight. You can have both.

Yep, this.

OP, I've lost 50lbs and I'm 4 years into maintenance. I don't feel a whole lot different, besides now I don't get winded so quickly. Otherwise things feel pretty much the same.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with practicing food abstinence. For some of us we DO have to give up the donuts.

As for how it tastes/feels... honestly.... same as when I was overweight, except I'm a bit more physically confident and find myself hungry more often than not. But, I'm not "done" yet (nor will I ever be).
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    I think this may be an old WW mantra
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels." When I was there a few years a go it got tossed around a lot. I don't like it at all because it sets up an all or nothing proposition. Certainly you can maintain your weight loss and have your donut too. Or your frozen custard :)
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    It feels awesome. Seriously after working out and being in shape it's really nice.
  • OnthatStuff
    OnthatStuff Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    @Tacklewasher, et. al ... I know that "O" is not the best role model for these types of things, but I found encouragement in her story. At the time that I watched, she seemed to be really kickin' butt. And all while having an intense love/addiction for carbs that she made a point to passionately express. I know that I'm no better as I often find myself fantasizing about pastries like an ex-lover reminiscing over Marvin Gaye tunes about the one that got away. It's a wonder I've not fallen off the wagon yet. So whenever blue tear drops start falling and my emotional stability is leaving me, I know that there's something I could do -- get to the nearest retailer of "the scrumdiddlyumptious" and have at it! Thankfully, that was the old me. For now, I guess I'll just have to keep my head down and soldier on if I want to see for myself how the other half lives.

Thanks again for all the tips and encouragement. For sure, rockstars you guys/gals are!
  • Rebecca0224
    Rebecca0224 Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I'm having trouble getting past "something Oprah said". Not the best example of successful weight loss :)

And just to point out - the saying has been co-opted by the pro-ana (pro-anorexia) communities, so I regard it warily now.

Every time I hear this or one of its paraphrasings I can't think of anything except the people I was in an ED clinic with. It sends a shiver down my spine.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    OP - enjoying your post humor.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    @Tacklewasher, et. al ... I know that "O" is not the best role model for these types of things, but I found encouragement in her story.

You want some real success stories? Read these

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1276219/i-went-from-morbidly-obese-to-6-pack-abs-ask-me-anything/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10538097/i-hit-95-pounds-lost-in-under-a-year-o/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10421055/from-388-to-215-and-still-going-its-been-quite-a-ride/p1

All real people on this site who have dropped tremendous amounts of weight and kept it off (I think the second one is still losing). And all done in a healthy, but not obsessive way. These are 3 of many that I keep tabs on the threads. Spend some time in the success story forum to get some real and practical encouragement.

Hell, I'm down almost 85 lbs since August.

• endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    I really, really hate that quote. It implies two things:

1. That skinny is a feeling
    2. Once you get to "skinny," you just walk around feeling all hunky-dory all the time and never have food cravings

Neither of those things are remotely true. Unless you also do a lot of work mentally as well, the new skinny you will feel the same as the old fat you. If you don't find a way to incorporate treats and fun foods into your diet, skinny you will be craving doughnuts MUCH MORE than you are right now and they'll taste that much better.

If being skinny/fit doesn't make you feel much better than being obese, I fail to see the point of getting fit.

That's just rhetorical. Being fit makes me feel less worried about health, get up much easier, less joint pain, on and on..a million times better than being overweight. It could not be more untrue about "feel the same as the old fat you"

Gallow is right about "Actually, the further I stayed away from such foods, the less I wanted them. " Tastes and cravings are acquired and condition-based. They can be as acquired as they can be un-acquired, completely gone from one's life.

Don't assume that you will be craving donuts or something the rest of you life.