How Good Does Being "in shape" Taste/Feel

Options

Replies

• Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    The issue with a donut is people eat them as a snack and they can range from 300-500 calories. 300-500 calories and usually with coffee (50 calories) or orange juice (100+ calories) is a breakfast, not a snack. You CAN eat them, but you need to count calories or make sure you stay active and burn more than you eat.
  • jusjoking
    jusjoking Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I see the word "skinny" being used

"skinny" and "in shape" are 2 totally different things.
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,350 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same as tacklewasher said, I have certain downfalls & can't eat just one, so I don't have those in the house. I feel great after losing almost 40lbs (20 more to go) I'm 63 & feel 10 yrs younger
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I don't like the phrase, personally. It makes me think of restriction and deprivation. I have to choose between eating food's I enjoy or being healthy physically? Personally, I'll have my cake and eat it too.
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    I really, really hate that quote. It implies two things:

1. That skinny is a feeling
    2. Once you get to "skinny," you just walk around feeling all hunky-dory all the time and never have food cravings

Neither of those things are remotely true. Unless you also do a lot of work mentally as well, the new skinny you will feel the same as the old fat you. If you don't find a way to incorporate treats and fun foods into your diet, skinny you will be craving doughnuts MUCH MORE than you are right now and they'll taste that much better.

If being skinny/fit doesn't make you feel much better than being obese, I fail to see the point of getting fit.

That's just rhetorical. Being fit makes me feel less worried about health, get up much easier, less joint pain, on and on..a million times better than being overweight. It could not be more untrue about "feel the same as the old fat you"

Gallow is right about "Actually, the further I stayed away from such foods, the less I wanted them. " Tastes and cravings are acquired and condition-based. They can be as acquired as they can be un-acquired, completely gone from one's life.

Don't assume that you will be craving donuts or something the rest of you life.

I consider myself to be a fit person. Speaking from my own personal experience, being skinny doesn't, in itself, "make" me feel anything. I was speaking more about your mental state and not necessarily about your physical state; I don't personally think that "skinny" is a feeling. Mentally, there is no automatic shift between being skinny and being fat. That kind of a shift in thinking takes work.

Physically, there may be a noticeable change and there may not be. Some people don't physically feel terrible when they're overweight and some people have a lot of discomfort, so YMMV.

I absolutely still crave things like doughnuts. Losing weight didn't necessarily change my tastebuds. Just hoping that the feeling of being skinny is enough to make you not want things that taste good is ridiculous.

I get weary of those who argue anything "in itself". That's arrogant debating. "In self", like "in theory", virtually never exists. No such thing as "skinny in itself". You're being skinny in the body and it affects the mind. Hence, the saying "a healthy mind in a healthy body". They tend to work as a system. Almost never individually.

You don't get to being skinny by switching a switch. You get there usually by using a system and changing a lot of things. Changes are necessary when you need to leave the old way behind. Changes are a must. Not hoping.

• ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with having one 300-400 calorie doughnut once in a while. And if you walk, run, or ride a bicycle to the doughnut shop, you'll find it is less of an issue. I find that being in shape means that I get more of that kind of stuff, not less. There's a cookie shop in downtown Fort Worth that has become one of my cycling destinations. It is fifteen miles there and fifteen miles back, so I burn through whatever I eat before I get home. If you are trying to lose weight without exercise then yeah, you pretty much have to give up that stuff. But if you are doing it without exercise then you aren't really getting in shape.
    Evamutt wrote: »
    I was thinking the same as tacklewasher said, I have certain downfalls & can't eat just one, so I don't have those in the house. I feel great after losing almost 40lbs (20 more to go) I'm 63 & feel 10 yrs younger
    Actually, the further I stayed away from such foods, the less I wanted them. My mom made me an old favorite dessert recently, and it's still sitting in my fridge, likely to spoil before I ever have any desire to eat it. It's not restrictive when I'd literally have to force myself to eat it. Fat me would have killed that pie in two days.

This is pretty true for me too... Those high Fat/sugar combination foods like donuts are so addictive. After a while, you start to forget what eating them is like and lost much of that craving. Then Fat Tuesday comes around (along with a large box of Pazcki), and the moment that first bite of fatty, sugary goodness hits your bloodstream like a drug, you just want MORE.

With that said, having 1 of them occasionally (and not having a box with more around) won't de-rail your diet (unless it is a trigger food for you), especially if you are getting exercise. Make it a stop on long bicycle ride (a lot of our local group rides have a stop at an ice cream stand for instance).
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I'm having trouble getting past "something Oprah said". Not the best example of successful weight loss :)

And just to point out - the saying has been co-opted by the pro-ana (pro-anorexia) communities, so I regard it warily now.

Every time I hear this or one of its paraphrasings I can't think of anything except the people I was in an ED clinic with. It sends a shiver down my spine.

Yeah. In fact, wasn't that quote originally said by an emaciated, possibly anorexic, fashion model.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    I'm having trouble getting past "something Oprah said". Not the best example of successful weight loss :)

And just to point out - the saying has been co-opted by the pro-ana (pro-anorexia) communities, so I regard it warily now.

Every time I hear this or one of its paraphrasings I can't think of anything except the people I was in an ED clinic with. It sends a shiver down my spine.

Yeah. In fact, wasn't that quote originally said by an emaciated, possibly anorexic, fashion model.

Yes, to all of these replies. It makes me shudder for the reasons listed. But I try to consider how the people likely meant it - out of making healthier choices, not massive deprivation. Being healthy and happy - technically there isn't a food equivalent.. because food isn't an emotion or feeling? Now I'm just engaging in nitpicking semantics. :wink:
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

Said by a skinny fashion model -- yeah reek of anorexic.

Worried by obese people -- putting the cart way before the horse.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I have finally come to grips with the fact that in order to reach my goals, I'm going to need to let go of my obsession with donuts :'( . As I've said my last goodbye's recently, something Oprah Winfrey mentioned some years ago (early 2000's, i think) came to mind. She said something like "nothing tastes better than how being thin/in-shape feels" (loose paraphrase). Sheesh -- talk about blasphemy, right!

Now, as crazy as it seems, I'm entertaining the possibility of her being onto something. However, I can't think of many more things that trump how great glazed donuts taste IMO.

What's up with that?

Honestly, those glazed doughnuts will taste 1000x better when you have them every now and then as a treat rather than on a regular basis. Imagine that your taste buds are no longer used to the taste of those glazed doughnuts because they are no longer regularly exposed to them. Now imagine a special occasion when you do decide to treat yourself to this mythical glazed doughnut, and it's as delicious as the first time...and on every special occasion that you treat yourself to one is equally amazing :)

Perspective is everything.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options

2. Once you get to "skinny," you just walk around feeling all hunky-dory all the time and never have food cravings

Neither of those things are remotely true. Unless you also do a lot of work mentally as well, the new skinny you will feel the same as the old fat you. If you don't find a way to incorporate treats and fun foods into your diet, skinny you will be craving doughnuts MUCH MORE than you are right now and they'll taste that much better.

Actually, the further I stayed away from such foods, the less I wanted them. My mom made me an old favorite dessert recently, and it's still sitting in my fridge, likely to spoil before I ever have any desire to eat it. It's not restrictive when I'd literally have to force myself to eat it. Fat me would have killed that pie in two days.

There's not one food on this earth that I'd give up being fit for. Most of the things people talk about being tempting like doughnuts, cake, cookies, pie, and candies I have no desire at all for. I don't even think about things like lower calorie versions of ice cream because I have become almost completely indifferent to ice cream.

On occasion I have a small amount of some kind of dessert, but most of them are too sweet to even be tolerable and even the idea of them just turns me off. I had a milk shake in December of 2015 that I had banked calories for a week to have, and after I had it, I just sat there thinking it wasn't worth it because I didn't even enjoy more than the first maybe two ounces of it and I felt pretty awful for the rest of the day, stomach being upset.

Kind of like when you're a kid and you wish you had enough money to buy all the candy in the checkout at the grocery store. Then you grow up, and you're an adult, and you do have the money to do that. You just don't want to anymore.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

If being skinny/fit doesn't make you feel much better than being obese, I fail to see the point of getting fit.

That's just rhetorical. Being fit makes me feel less worried about health, get up much easier, less joint pain, on and on..a million times better than being overweight. It could not be more untrue about "feel the same as the old fat you"

Gallow is right about "Actually, the further I stayed away from such foods, the less I wanted them. " Tastes and cravings are acquired and condition-based. They can be as acquired as they can be un-acquired, completely gone from one's life.

Don't assume that you will be craving donuts or something the rest of you life.

I consider myself to be a fit person. Speaking from my own personal experience, being skinny doesn't, in itself, "make" me feel anything. I was speaking more about your mental state and not necessarily about your physical state; I don't personally think that "skinny" is a feeling. Mentally, there is no automatic shift between being skinny and being fat. That kind of a shift in thinking takes work.

Physically, there may be a noticeable change and there may not be. Some people don't physically feel terrible when they're overweight and some people have a lot of discomfort, so YMMV.

I absolutely still crave things like doughnuts. Losing weight didn't necessarily change my tastebuds. Just hoping that the feeling of being skinny is enough to make you not want things that taste good is ridiculous.

I get weary of those who argue anything "in itself". That's arrogant debating. "In self", like "in theory", virtually never exists. No such thing as "skinny in itself". You're being skinny in the body and it affects the mind. Hence, the saying "a healthy mind in a healthy body". They tend to work as a system. Almost never individually.

You don't get to being skinny by switching a switch. You get there usually by using a system and changing a lot of things. Changes are necessary when you need to leave the old way behind. Changes are a must. Not hoping.

It's possible to lose weight and have no associated changes in mindset/mental state.
    It's possible to lose weight and have positive associated changes in mindset/mental state.
    It's even possible to lose weight and have negative associated changes in mindset/mental state.

Losing weight is not dependent upon, nor does it necessarily lead to, any change of mindset, outlook, perspective, etc. Your argument may be true in your experience, but there are people other than me in this thread who are telling you that your experience is not universal.