1200 calories a day and hungry, scared to up the calories

Options
Hi everyone,

Im new here, I currently have my calories set at 1,200, but most days im still hungry, If I work out I eat half my Exercise calories back, but the thing is im worried about lowering my "goal" to loosing maybe one pound a week because even eating 1,200 calories a day, im averaging about 1.5 lbs a week lost. Is it normal to be so hungry at 1,200 calories a day? Also im measuring all of my food with a scale.

My Info:
5'4
Current Weight 209 Lbs
Goal weight 143
Excerise: Hiking on the weekend, walking / going to the gym 2-3 times a week.

Replies

• motivated310
    motivated310 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    1200 is quite low maybe you are eating too much sugar / carbs and that's what is making you hungrier?
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    It's also normal to be a little hungry sometimes, rather than eating enough that you never feel hunger.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Is it normal to be so hungry at 1,200 calories a day?

The majority of people would be. There are outliers, because humans are incredibly diverse in height, build, lifestyle and health, but generally 1200 wouldn't be enough.

• laurenebargar
    laurenebargar Posts: 3,081 Member
    Options
    It's also normal to be a little hungry sometimes, rather than eating enough that you never feel hunger.

I agree with you here, its normal to be a little hungry, I just dont feel satisfied even after dinner for instance, although the past few days I havent been perfect with my eating, I have stayed at my calorie goal

Don't be scared - up those calories, girlfriend!!! I refuse to be hungry! I only have about 10 lbs to lose and I have my weekly weight loss goal set at losing 0.5 lbs! I look at it as trying to be able to sustain these habits rather than race to the finish.

*Also, how often do you eat and what are you eating can be a factor. But I still think that 1200 is Way low.

I think ill try to up the calories a little bit, and see how I feel, if Im a little under the new calorie goal then thats fine, as long as im meeting my Macros and wont be as miserable!
  • laurenebargar
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    One of the HUGE and common mistakes for newbies (almost always female) is setting goals too high and calorie amounts too low.

1200 is really appropriate for very short and inactive women, and you are not either.

I'm about 5'7", and started at about 200 lbs, and I am at about 1600 calories a day. I've successfully lost 30+pounds. And not starving, cranky, or miserable.

Yeah I think one of my problems is thinking I am less active than I am. I get in my 10K steps a day, and on the weekend go for 5+ mile hikes and am out with my husband and dog especially now that its getting warmer, but I am set at sedentary on MFP because I sit at a desk all day. Ive lost almost 10 lbs in 25 days, which im happy with, but would prefer to lose slower and have a little more wiggle room.
  • laurenebargar
    Options
    1200 is quite low maybe you are eating too much sugar / carbs and that's what is making you hungrier?

I think sugar is definitely not helping, I cut out all drinks except for water / carbonated water but still have been having an occasional treat, so I might be eating too much sugar still even without all of the added soda I used to drink.
  • TH2017
    TH2017 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Are you drinking enough water and getting enough protein? Looking at your diary I would suggest starting your day off with more protein with perhaps eggs of some kind. I find that when I skip my protein in the morning I get hungrier quicker. Also add more real veggies and fruits for snacks also. Apples with peanut butter is one one my favorite mid day snacks.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options

I think sugar is definitely not helping, I cut out all drinks except for water / carbonated water but still have been having an occasional treat, so I might be eating too much sugar still even without all of the added soda I used to drink.

Some things are more filling for longer periods of time than others, including food that isn't calorie dense. Things like the cruciferous vegetables (broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower, brussels sprouts) are very low in calories by weight, are filling, and provide vitamins, minerals and dietary fiber. Eating those along with proteins and fats satisfies nutritional needs and tends to prevent the extreme hunger feeling of eating a lot of sugary things.

Note that I'm not saying sugar is bad; it absolutely can be part of your diet. Take a small amount of calories and save it for the sugary thing if that's what floats your boat, but sugar and simple carbs are things that a lot of people find lead to them eating and the being hungry soon after.
  • laurenebargar
    Options
    TH2017 wrote: »
    Are you drinking enough water and getting enough protein? Looking at your diary I would suggest starting your day off with more protein with perhaps eggs of some kind. I find that when I skip my protein in the morning I get hungrier quicker. Also add more real veggies and fruits for snacks also. Apples with peanut butter is one one my favorite mid day snacks.

Definitely getting enough water, at least in my opinion I get over 70 ounces of water a day, and that is all I drink. I think having something with more protein in the morning would help a lot though. Over the weekend and today have not been the best nutritionally, I will try that out starting tomorrow and see if it helps with my hunger! I think I just need to focus on finding the right foods that will keep me full.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    One of the HUGE and common mistakes for newbies (almost always female) is setting goals too high and calorie amounts too low.

1200 is really appropriate for very short and inactive women, and you are not either.

I'm about 5'7", and started at about 200 lbs, and I am at about 1600 calories a day. I've successfully lost 30+pounds. And not starving, cranky, or miserable.

Yeah I think one of my problems is thinking I am less active than I am. I get in my 10K steps a day, and on the weekend go for 5+ mile hikes and am out with my husband and dog especially now that its getting warmer, but I am set at sedentary on MFP because I sit at a desk all day. Ive lost almost 10 lbs in 25 days, which im happy with, but would prefer to lose slower and have a little more wiggle room.
    Er. That's more than the almost 1.5lbs a week you said earlier. A lot more.

Could you clarify what has happened? Do you mean that it was a 1.5lb drop in this last week?

25 days is 3 and a half weeks, give or take half a day.

Conservative calculations: 9 lbs ÷ 3.5 weeks= 2.57lbs a week.

More realistically, as you said nearly 10 lbs, 9.7lbs ÷ 3.5 weeks = 2.77lbs.

• TH2017
    TH2017 Posts: 47 Member
    Options

Definitely getting enough water, at least in my opinion I get over 70 ounces of water a day, and that is all I drink. I think having something with more protein in the morning would help a lot though. Over the weekend and today have not been the best nutritionally, I will try that out starting tomorrow and see if it helps with my hunger! I think I just need to focus on finding the right foods that will keep me full.
    ^^^This. Even if you do up your calories, I think if you up your lean healthy protein you might see a difference. You seem to be leaving a lot of protein on the table so to speak at the end of the day.

• laurenebargar
    Options

Er. That's more than the almost 1.5lbs a week you said earlier. A lot more.

Could you clarify what has happened? Do you mean that it was a 1.5lb drop in this last week?

25 days is 3 and a half weeks, give or take half a day.

Conservative calculations: 9 lbs ÷ 3.5 weeks= 2.57lbs a week.

More realistically, as you said nearly 10 lbs, 9.7lbs ÷ 3.5 weeks = 2.77lbs.

I was at 8.2 lbs lost and missed my weigh in this morning so I will do it tomorrow, I was assuming it would be another pound, but I could have gained. Im eating the 1,200 calories and MFP is set at sedentary, I have a fitness tracker but it doesnt work with MFP so those calories dont get added in unless I do it manually. I was assuming that since I have a bit to lose and I cut out all soda/ juice that was the reason for an extra lb or two the first week. It seems to be pretty consistent the past two weeks about a 1.5 lb loss. I realize two weeks may not be long enough to *kitten* how much I will truly be losing a week, but thats all I have to go off right now.
  • laurenebargar
    Options

^^^This. Even if you do up your calories, I think if you up your lean healthy protein you might see a difference. You seem to be leaving a lot of protein on the table so to speak at the end of the day.

Yeah I think thats going to be what im going to try to focus on, making sure I eat protein at breakfast lunch and dinner, I try to get it at lunch, but sometimes I rely too much on getting the protein I need at dinner and I am not consuming enough protein to keep me full throughout the day.