C25k

Options
2»

Replies

• mirelaavdich
    mirelaavdich Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 5 yesterday. Here are few of things I feel are important:

Good shoes. Must have good shoes!!
    Breathing is very important. I recommend you research running breathing techniques and trying them out. It makes a world of difference.
    I live in the south so not sure it this applies to you, but do not run when it is 85+ degrees outside.
    Run slow. Struggling to breathe is your #1 indicator that you are running too fast. Plus you'll get that nasty side stitch.
    Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate... Can't say this too much.
    Repeat workouts you find challenging.
    Schedule your workouts and stick to the schedule, no excuses.
    And by far the most important thing is to take pride in every step you take.

Hope this helps :smile:
  • kenzienal
    kenzienal Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I'm considering starting this program myself, and this post is really making me lean heavy with beginning it in a few weeks.

My last 5k I ran back in March, I timed out at 33.38, so I am hoping this program wont be too tough on me.
  • Philtex
    Philtex Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Way to go runners!
  • elv1ra
    elv1ra Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I think it's a good tool to keep yourself moving forward even if you don't follow it as intended. I've been completing the early weeks as instructed, but finishing off the 5k at my own pace after I finish the workout because some of the later weeks look like they're pretty big jumps. I'm doing it on a treadmill and some good music and the right strain of pot have been the keys to sticking with it.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Congratulations runners!

I did the C25K program (using the Zen Labs app) last year and have kept at it. Just did a 5K in 27:32, which isn't very impressive to anyone but me. I'm jazzed just to get under 9min/mile!

I've given this advice a lot:

1) Don't feel bad going back to a prior workout as many times as you need to if the next one feels too hard. Working up your running takes a long time.

2) Never stop doing intervals. Once you can jog the entire 5K, create fast/slow intervals to get faster. Intervals can be walk/run or jog/run.
  • dawson002
    dawson002 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Jthanmyftnesspal - 27 mins for a 5K is amazing and impressive to most of us. I've only managed a 5K possibly times and my fastest is 35 mins!!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    dawson002 wrote: »
    Jthanmyftnesspal - 27 mins for a 5K is amazing and impressive to most of us. I've only managed a 5K possibly times and my fastest is 35 mins!!

Thanks! Definitely one of my best days this year.
  • krazy1sbk
    krazy1sbk Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I'm about to download the app... However, I really hate running/ jogging. I did a 5k in just over 45 min a couple of years ago (no training, oops) and I hated it, but I really need to work on my cardio... So here I am (assuming I don't chicken out)
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    @krazy1sbk I suggest you go really slow. My observation is that the fast ones quit early.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Stella3838 wrote: »
    I just finished week 8!! What a game changer that is. I think back to the start and 90 seconds was going to be the death of me. Now, I can bust out 30 minutes and while still a challenge, I don't feel like my heart and lungs want to jump ship. LOL! Keep it up! Best program I've done in a long time!!

i know right? it's so hard for me to believe that less than a year ago, i was struggling with the 1' runs,and now i can run for almost 2 hours non stop.

@Jthanmyfitnesspal 5k in just over 27' is awesome. I've been trying to brake through the 30' barrier but it's tough.I'm currently at 31'.05'' (my first 5k after finishing the program was in just over 46'). I'll keep working on it though.I'm signed up for a race in june and i want to do it under 30'.

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I tried the first C25k workout about a month ago and found that I couldn't even do the second full minute of running. So I designed a "Bed to Couch" program for myself to get me ready for C25k. It's going great!

Right now I can do all eight one-minute runs, with 3 minutes walking intervals between. I'm slowly reducing the duration of the walk intervals. I'm pretty sure I could do the first C25k workout now, but I want to take it slow and easy, so I'm being patient.

I expect to be ready for C25k on the first of June.

brilliant! and well done for sticking at it. You'll be fine - just remember to go nice and slow - slower than walking if need be. Come back in a year and tell us about the 10k/half marathon you are thinking of!!
  • Keapix
    Keapix Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've just completed Week 3 Day 2, and already those 1-minute runs seem so much easier than they did. I'm not looking forward to 5 minutes next week, but I'm going to concentrate on keeping my speed slow (and breathing)!
  • shans34
    shans34 Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 1 day 2! It was raining but I put a hat on and did it anyway!
  • Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Hooray for everyone doing it and go get it for all those thinking about it!!
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Stella3838 wrote: »
    I just finished week 8!! What a game changer that is. I think back to the start and 90 seconds was going to be the death of me. Now, I can bust out 30 minutes and while still a challenge, I don't feel like my heart and lungs want to jump ship. LOL! Keep it up! Best program I've done in a long time!!

i know right? it's so hard for me to believe that less than a year ago, i was struggling with the 1' runs,and now i can run for almost 2 hours non stop.

@Jthanmyfitnesspal 5k in just over 27' is awesome. I've been trying to brake through the 30' barrier but it's tough.I'm currently at 31'.05'' (my first 5k after finishing the program was in just over 46'). I'll keep working on it though.I'm signed up for a race in june and i want to do it under 30'.

It is awesome. I've had a couple of 2nd and 3rd places in my age-group with that kind of time. I'm feeling a bit of a runners' high today. I went for a 10k run last night and did it in under 58 minutes for the first time ever.