"Why should I use a food scale?"

Options

Replies

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    So, I was in the middle of prepping dinner when suddenly, I remembered seeing a zillion posts of people not understanding why a food scale is useful to have when trying to lose weight. "But I use measuring cups!" I got curious, so I decided to weigh out a serving of pasta and then see how it fit into measuring cups.

Here's what a serving of tonight's pasta looks like.

qgp1emq5qa6d.jpg

Here it is weighed out.

9k6h96rwzs8u.jpg

Naturally, I realized afterward that I don't even have a 3/4 cup measuring cup, so I made do. Not ideal, but I could have stuffed so much more pasta in that 1/4 cup!

5nwbf8vixqbm.jpg

Seriously, look how much room is left over.

xeho6ea83gvs.jpg

It took me another 15 g of pasta to fill'er up. If my math is right, that's another 48 calories worth of pasta that I wouldn't have been accounting for, which isn't that bad, but that's only for one ingredient of my dinner! I was thinking about putting bacon in the sauce. Info on the back of the package says "2 slices or 15 grams" - one slice is 15 grams, which I wouldn't have known without my scale. That would have been an additional 70 calories, which means I would have been 118 calories over what I thought I was consuming!

If you're one of those people that says "I'm eating 1200 calories and I'm not losing a pound!" I highly suggest buying a scale. The one I'm using was only $7 at Walmart.

It seems to me that all you have shown is that 2oz (56 grams) of pasta really is equal to 3/4 cup of pasta, as long a you use level measuring cups. In the picture, the 1/2 cup measure is overstuffed, but there is plenty of room in the 1/4 cup measure to take the overflow to get it down to a level cup.

Curious what you think my picture shows then...

The pasta in your picture looks like it has been cooked. 1 cup of dry pasta makes about 2.25 cups of cooked pasta. So the cup that you are saying is 289 calories is more like 100 calories.

Sorry, but it is indeed dry pasta. It's called campanelle. Let me take another picture for you since I have some in the cabinet. I stand by my weighing, my math, and my calculations. I have no reason to create an image that's a lie. Do you need me to take new pictures of the cup on my scale from multiple angles so you can see that it is indeed a level cup that weighs 81 grams and is indeed 289 calories?

cunzyc4lm3to.jpg

No, that's fine. With the second picture I can see that it that it is dry. I'll even agree with you that it weighs 81 grams. But can you prove that it is 289 calories?
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    Drussander wrote: »
    I use the scale now all the time. Even for cereal. If it says grams, ounces, etc., I'll weigh it.

Especially for cereal! It's one of the worst offenders for a single serving size looking all sad and lonely in your bowl. Right up there with ice cream.

I've not figured out how to weigh ice cream and compare to the ml on the label.

So I just assume it has no calories.

Weigh the whole tub of ice cream. (If you're really worried about the weight of the cardboard, weigh an empty tub at some point and adjust your weight accordingly.) That tells you how much the volume listed on the tub weighs. Then calculate the weight of a single serving. Or find an entry in the database where somebody else has done this for you. If there isn't one, make your own and you never have to do the math again.

e.g. A tub of Ben and Jerry's is 500 mL (~2 cups). One serving is 125 mL (~1/2 cup), so one serving is 1/4 of the tub. The whole tub weighs ~420 grams. 420*(1/4) = 105 grams. So, one half-cup serving weighs ~105 grams.

This happens to be true for all of their flavours that I like, and the numbers are similar for other rich dense ice creams like Haagen Dasz and Marble Slab. Fluffier ice creams like Breyers weigh less per half cup and have fewer calories because of that - but their calories-per-gram are pretty similar.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    TH2017 wrote: »
    JaydedMiss wrote: »
    just had this with my bread, 40g is the 1 slice serving....every single slice in the pack weighed 65-68 g

You know I typically weigh everything but bread is something that I never thought to weigh for what ever reason.

*goes to kitchen to weigh a slice of bread* :/

I had a brand i really liked of rye that was always perfect but this ones "40g per slice/serving" and EVERY piece was 65-67g (at 100 cals per 40g thats a big difference) so im assuming their liars or the mchine was somehow messing up? no clue.
  • TimothyFish
    Options
    So, I was in the middle of prepping dinner when suddenly, I remembered seeing a zillion posts of people not understanding why a food scale is useful to have when trying to lose weight. "But I use measuring cups!" I got curious, so I decided to weigh out a serving of pasta and then see how it fit into measuring cups.

qgp1emq5qa6d.jpg

Here it is weighed out.

9k6h96rwzs8u.jpg

Naturally, I realized afterward that I don't even have a 3/4 cup measuring cup, so I made do. Not ideal, but I could have stuffed so much more pasta in that 1/4 cup!

5nwbf8vixqbm.jpg

xeho6ea83gvs.jpg

It took me another 15 g of pasta to fill'er up. If my math is right, that's another 48 calories worth of pasta that I wouldn't have been accounting for, which isn't that bad, but that's only for one ingredient of my dinner! I was thinking about putting bacon in the sauce. Info on the back of the package says "2 slices or 15 grams" - one slice is 15 grams, which I wouldn't have known without my scale. That would have been an additional 70 calories, which means I would have been 118 calories over what I thought I was consuming!

If you're one of those people that says "I'm eating 1200 calories and I'm not losing a pound!" I highly suggest buying a scale. The one I'm using was only $7 at Walmart.

It seems to me that all you have shown is that 2oz (56 grams) of pasta really is equal to 3/4 cup of pasta, as long a you use level measuring cups. In the picture, the 1/2 cup measure is overstuffed, but there is plenty of room in the 1/4 cup measure to take the overflow to get it down to a level cup.

The pasta in your picture looks like it has been cooked. 1 cup of dry pasta makes about 2.25 cups of cooked pasta. So the cup that you are saying is 289 calories is more like 100 calories.

Sorry, but it is indeed dry pasta. It's called campanelle. Let me take another picture for you since I have some in the cabinet. I stand by my weighing, my math, and my calculations. I have no reason to create an image that's a lie. Do you need me to take new pictures of the cup on my scale from multiple angles so you can see that it is indeed a level cup that weighs 81 grams and is indeed 289 calories?

cunzyc4lm3to.jpg

No, that's fine. With the second picture I can see that it that it is dry. I'll even agree with you that it weighs 81 grams. But can you prove that it is 289 calories?

Are you serious?

The label says 1 cup (56g) = 200 calories.
    81g ÷ 56g = 1.45g
    1.45g x 200 calories = 289 calories.

On food labels, the volume is a given to be an estimate while the weight is the more accurate measurement. And yes, we know that the calories on food labels are allowed to have up to a 20% discrepancy, so while I can not *prove* that it may not be exactly 289 calories it does prove that a volume measured serving for this pasta is indeed a 44.5% caloric increase from the labeled weighed serving size.

Yes, I'm serious. You are willing to reject the information on the label because the weight per cup doesn't match what they claim. Why should you turn around and accept the information on the label at face value concerning the number of calories? Have you stopped to think why they would list it as one cup is 56 grams if one cup is actually 81 grams? Why would the weight of a cup at the manufacturer be less than one in your home?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

qgp1emq5qa6d.jpg

Here it is weighed out.

9k6h96rwzs8u.jpg

5nwbf8vixqbm.jpg

xeho6ea83gvs.jpg

cunzyc4lm3to.jpg

THIS is great pasta--bronze cut too. Most durum grain pastas weigh about the same--dry. Barilla for 81g is 290.79 cal so your calculations are dead on--sorry Fish.
  • TimothyFish
    Options

qgp1emq5qa6d.jpg

Here it is weighed out.

9k6h96rwzs8u.jpg

5nwbf8vixqbm.jpg

xeho6ea83gvs.jpg

cunzyc4lm3to.jpg

Are you serious?

81g ÷ 56g = 1.45g

On food labels, the volume is a given to be an estimate while the weight is the more accurate measurement. And yes, we know that the calories on food labels are allowed to have up to a 20% discrepancy, so while I can not *prove* that it may not be exactly 289 calories it does prove that a volume measured serving for this pasta is indeed a 44.5% caloric increase from the labeled weighed serving size.

Yes, I'm serious. You are willing to reject the information on the label because the weight per cup doesn't match what they claim. Why should you turn around and accept the information on the label at face value concerning the number of calories? Have you stopped to think why they would list it as one cup is 56 grams if one cup is actually 81 grams? Why would the weight of a cup at the manufacturer be less than one in your home?

I'm not rejecting the information on the label. I'm favoring the information that has been stated "by the industry" to be more accurate. The volume measurement is a manufacturer acknowledged estimate because it can vary depending on size and settling of product. The weight is the accepted standard and doesn't change no matter what size the product (broken pieces) or how much it may have settled (dump a box of spaghetti in bag, shake it up, and see how much physical space it's taking up now...). The weight does not change, but the volume can. That's why you always go by the weight.

What if I were to tell you that the weight of pasta does change?
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

qgp1emq5qa6d.jpg

Here it is weighed out.

9k6h96rwzs8u.jpg

5nwbf8vixqbm.jpg

xeho6ea83gvs.jpg

cunzyc4lm3to.jpg

Are you serious?

81g ÷ 56g = 1.45g

I'm not rejecting the information on the label. I'm favoring the information that has been stated "by the industry" to be more accurate. The volume measurement is a manufacturer acknowledged estimate because it can vary depending on size and settling of product. The weight is the accepted standard and doesn't change no matter what size the product (broken pieces) or how much it may have settled (dump a box of spaghetti in bag, shake it up, and see how much physical space it's taking up now...). The weight does not change, but the volume can. That's why you always go by the weight.

Proof.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    Pasta is a pain. You need to weigh it dry, but who cooks just one serving? I'm always eyeballing my serving once cooked and I suspect it's not very accurate.
  • Sunna_W
    Sunna_W Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    Good thread!
  • TimothyFish
    Options
    ceiswyn wrote: »

Then I would look at you funny.

The only way in which the mass of an item can change is if you either add mass to it (eg water mass when you cook it) or remove mass from it.

I am looking forwards to hearing how the dry weight of pasta changes.

Manufacturers aim for a moisture content of 12% in dry pasta and the nutritional information is probably based on pasta with 12% moisture content. But it is legal to ship dry pasta with as much as 13% moisture content and I doubt a manufacturer would destroy a batch of pasta if the moisture content was 11% instead of the desired 12%. The humidity in the air is generally higher than 12%, so pasta that is exposed to air will tend to increase in moisture content over time, but in a dry climate it could decrease in moisture content.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Pasta is a pain. You need to weigh it dry, but who cooks just one serving? I'm always eyeballing my serving once cooked and I suspect it's not very accurate.

that's easy to do. weigh the amount of servings you want to cook dry. let's say you cook for 4 people, so 4 servings. that would be 340gr. of dry pasta (85gr/serv.)After cooking, weigh the cooked pasta. Divide the weight by 4. That number is the weight per serving.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options

that's easy to do. weigh the amount of servings you want to cook dry. let's say you cook for 4 people, so 4 servings. that would be 340gr. of dry pasta (85gr/serv.)After cooking, weigh the cooked pasta. Divide the weight by 4. That number is the weight per serving.

Pasta is like a science experiment in my house. 2 kids a serving each, a bulking bf who eats about 3 lol (bowls everywhere)
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    what they need is those pasta water bag things like the boil in a bag rice... first world problems :neutral: