1234568»

Replies

• SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    @pudgy1977 wrote: »
    cfq676pmp4ha.jpg

Here in the Midwest....it's pop!

Down in these parts everything is a Coke. You order a coke then you specify want kind.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Wenn man vom Esel Tratsch kommt er gelatscht

Literally: when you gossip about the donkey he comes shuffling along

It's like "speak of the devil"

Well, that explains why they lost the war.
  • Charabz69
    Charabz69 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Dodgey jammer. (The spelling may not be right.) UK saying for a cookie with a bit of jam in it. US we call them thumbprints, although there's a bit of difference in the "biscuit" too.

Too cute, UK sayings! It's like learning you mother tongue (if your US ancestry hails from that region, think many of us do).

Pudding is also a great one. If i tell dh were having pudding (Yorkshire pudding) he's terribly confused. Always, "where's the pudding?".

I am actually LOL at this,its a Jammy Dodger. Love it x
  • Charabz69
    Charabz69 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    subakwa wrote: »
    I'm English, but on moving to a small place in Scotland for work I had to get used to such delights as

"Going to get my messages" = going shopping
    Baffies = slippers
    Ochsters = armpits
    Awa' an' bile yer heid = (Away and boil your head) a frustrated type of go away

What gets me in the US is being called "ma'am". Only the Queen gets called that here and it makes me feel about a hundred years old.

Its Oxters lol (Armpits)
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    pudgy1977 wrote: »
    cfq676pmp4ha.jpg

Here in the Midwest....it's pop!

I am from the Midwest but currently living in Phoenix. When a server as me if I want a soda, I generally answer no I like flavor in my carbonated water, so I would like a pop. Not all servers appreciate my answer :D
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    synchkat wrote: »
    Im Canadian and use Bob's your uncle all the time...used it here and someone was like what?!? If you're my dad you follow it up with no he's my cousin. He's so funny

In Canada we refer to electricity as hydro. If the power is out I'd often say the hydro went put...oh look there's a hydro truck. We're weird

Unless you're in Saskatchewan and use coal for power, or are up north and use diesel generators - then you probably just say "Power". I've only heard it called hydro when it's ACTUALLY power made in hydroelectric generating stations (i.e. stations that use water flow to generate power). These stations are the most common in BC, Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario and Quebec (some of the largest/most populated provinces) though other provinces use them in conjunction with other types of generation (coal, diesel, wind, solar, etc).

Since I'm from Manitoba I say hydro pole - hydro accounts for something like 90-95% of the power we generate. And I say Hydro truck but it's a proper noun since the company that supplies the power is called Manitoba Hydro (usually just called Hydro by locals).

I'd personally call that being "Specific" not "Weird" lol.

I'm trying to think of other things we say that are weird. But I have no imagination this morning and can't think of them! Probably the stuff that's half English half French since it could be considered strange to mix languages within sentences and still have the whole sentence be a saying. Like "He has a certain je ne sais quoi"

There are some things I noticed while travelling to other countries.

Canada = bangs (hair); Australia = Fringe. And bangs mean boobs not a hair cut.
    Canada: route - path or root - part of a plant; Australia: Root (same pronunciation) = sex? I think?
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

@camoballerina91

In your post in August mentioned the term "tarnation", I'm a 69 yo American and have heard that term my whole life, but never bothered to look it up to see what it meant.
    FYI

Origin: alteration of darnation, euphemism for damnation.
    First use: 1790

YW
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I've heard that in Saskatchewan they call a hoodie a "bunny hug"
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    Options
    What in the Sam Hill?
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Dodgey jammer. (The spelling may not be right.) UK saying for a cookie with a bit of jam in it. US we call them thumbprints, although there's a bit of difference in the "biscuit" too.

Too cute, UK sayings! It's like learning you mother tongue (if your US ancestry hails from that region, think many of us do).

Pudding is also a great one. If i tell dh were having pudding (Yorkshire pudding) he's terribly confused. Always, "where's the pudding?".

That's a Jammy Dodger...
  • Dazzler21
    Options
    Pop vs Soda vs Fizzy Drinks
  • Dazzler21
    Options
    Tarnation is like hell

What in Tarnation?
    What the Hell?
  • FitJulian
    FitJulian Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    UK (Bum Bag) = US (Fanny Pack)
    UK (Braces) = US (Suspenders)
    UK (Spend a Penny*) = US (Take a whizz)
    UK (Sod Off) = US (Take a hike)
    UK (Oops) = US (DOH!)
    UK (bit of bother) = US ( World War 2)

*because the first public toilets required the use of an old style penny coin to open the cubicle door