Running At Home??

Options
Rajions
Rajions Posts: 128 Member
I know it sounds unusual to run at home, but I don't have a place to run where I live. I'd be a workout just getting to the park plus I start work tomorrow so I really don't have the time to get there and get back. Would running in place have the same effect as running outside (minus the hills outside, etc)?

Replies

• SarahStarr86
    SarahStarr86 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Hmm, that's an interesting question. I can say that I can probably run in place for a good while without even breaking a sweat. Leaving my house and jogging two streets down, I would already be panting and feeling the burn. If I jogged in place for that same time, I don't think I would feel the same. So I would say they aren't equal. However, if you ran vigorously, that may change. There are tons of stuff you can do at home though. Like YouTube workouts and other workout videos.
  • Rajions
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hmm, that's an interesting question. I can say that I can probably run in place for a good while without even breaking a sweat. Leaving my house and jogging two streets down, I would already be panting and feeling the burn. If I jogged in place for that same time, I don't think I would feel the same. So I would say they aren't equal. However, if you ran vigorously, that may change. There are tons of stuff you can do at home though. Like YouTube workouts and other workout videos.

I figured I could start with just the running/walking and then increase the intensity with other cardio workouts on YouTube. I'm just tired of being out of breath 5 minutes into the workout. I had hoped running could help even though it's still kind of a rough cardio workout. It's easier for me than regular cardio workouts.
  • SarahStarr86
    Options
    Ok, gotcha! If anything, you'll still burn calories and get extra steps in. I do Insanity Max 30 and have for 3 rounds and I'm still out of breath within the first 5-7 minutes, lol! I had started a beginner running program and loved it! I loved the "runners high" I would feel after coming from an outdoor run. It was awesome! With that being said, I did way too much too soon and couldn't walk for almost a week...my knees and thighs were toast. So taking it easy sounds like the perfect plan!
  • Rajions
    Options
    Ok, gotcha! If anything, you'll still burn calories and get extra steps in. I do Insanity Max 30 and have for 3 rounds and I'm still out of breath within the first 5-7 minutes, lol! I had started a beginner running program and loved it! I loved the "runners high" I would feel after coming from an outdoor run. It was awesome! With that being said, I did way too much too soon and couldn't walk for almost a week...my knees and thighs were toast. So taking it easy sounds like the perfect plan!

I just recently stopped doing Insanity after 3 weeks.. it hurt my feet to the MAX! From the day I started to the day I ended, nothing but pain. I guess I can't get past the out-of-breath-at-five-minutes phase lol
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Rajions wrote: »
    I know it sounds unusual to run at home, but I don't have a place to run where I live. I'd be a workout just getting to the park plus I start work tomorrow so I really don't have the time to get there and get back. Would running in place have the same effect as running outside (minus the hills outside, etc)?

No
  • SarahStarr86
    Options

I just recently stopped doing Insanity after 3 weeks.. it hurt my feet to the MAX! From the day I started to the day I ended, nothing but pain. I guess I can't get past the out-of-breath-at-five-minutes phase lol

It's funny that you say that because my left knee constantly hurts while doing IM30. Like my body aches most of the time, lol! That was part of the reason I had started the running program before. I just get so in my head about the "best" workout. So I'll go from just cardio, to HIIT, to strength, then get stressed out and just stop, haha! I'm thinking about going back to TurboFire (another Beachbody workout) and just doing that because I love it so much and don't dread it. I burn the most calories doing TF than anything else I've done. In 45 minutes, I've torched 630 calorie according to my Polar HRM.

• vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    To answer your question, no, it has no where near the same effect as running outside. Outside, you need project yourself forward and deal with the elements. If you're actually interested in being able to run longer without injury, your best bet is a C25k program that gradually gets you running. With that being said, if it's something you don't have time to, which typically each session is 30-40 minutes including warm up and cool down, then you're going to have to sit and reprioritize where something can change or continue what you're doing with the understanding that it will not translate to outside. It's even unlikely to even translate to a treadmill, and this comes from experience of doing the same thing in high school.
  • Rajions
    Options
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    To answer your question, no, it has no where near the same effect as running outside. Outside, you need project yourself forward and deal with the elements. If you're actually interested in being able to run longer without injury, your best bet is a C25k program that gradually gets you running. With that being said, if it's something you don't have time to, which typically each session is 30-40 minutes including warm up and cool down, then you're going to have to sit and reprioritize where something can change or continue what you're doing with the understanding that it will not translate to outside. It's even unlikely to even translate to a treadmill, and this comes from experience of doing the same thing in high school.

I understand that I won't be projecting myself forward in the house. I'm just trying to use running as my main cardio for now until I am ready to further the intensity with other cardio workouts. I don't have a treadmill and there's nowhere for me to run.
  • kayeroze
    kayeroze Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    If intensity and breathing is your problem, try Yoga with Adriene (on YouTube) and her 30 day challenge. The videos are 15-35 minutes long, lowish intensity, and should help with your breathing. It might be a different avenue to look into before progressing to a more intense workout video besides jogging in place.
  • jennypapage
    jennypapage Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    you'd be better off biking i think. or just walking. when you say there's nowhere to run? no pavements in your neighbourhood? unless you live really close to a highway, even running at the side of the road would work.i used to go to a park to ran when i first started, but after the first 10 minutes i was out of space and i don't like going around in circles, so now i run anywhere where there's a pavement.I just have planned out a route without traffic lights, and in places where i need to cross the street i use the zebra pad.
  • Rajions
    Options
    you'd be better off biking i think. or just walking. when you say there's nowhere to run? no pavements in your neighbourhood? unless you live really close to a highway, even running at the side of the road would work.i used to go to a park to ran when i first started, but after the first 10 minutes i was out of space and i don't like going around in circles, so now i run anywhere where there's a pavement.I just have planned out a route without traffic lights, and in places where i need to cross the street i use the zebra pad.

Where I live the hills are extremely steep and after that there is no pavement. The sidewalks are jacked up and I can't jog with the stroller I have for my son. UGH!!!! I'm just trying to keep it simple and do something convenient for me. I had a circle path mapped out, but soon discovered on my first lap that there was a large dog that looked like it could jump the fence.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Running in place will not burn as many calories as running outside. But it will burn more calories than sitting on the couch. So if that is a workout you think you will enjoy and you're alternating it with other things, I say give it a try.

Nothing in life is ever perfect, I will always choose the option that lets me get some exercise over skipping it.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

Foot pain? I don't think jogging in place would be any better for your feet. Jessica Smith has an indoor jogging video on YouTube, this would give you something to try out (it's intervals): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBrAbpOt-WY

I do Leslie Sansone walking DVDs on a rebounder (mini-trampoline).....so the moves are jogging, jumping, and hopping type moves. But the rebounder makes everything much lower impact. A bungee type rebounder would also be very quiet. For rebounder workouts look up Bellicon on YouTube.

Another option might be step aerobics. This would be low(er) impact. It would also be higher intensity than walking because it's sort of like walking up stairs. For free videos check out Jenny Ford on YouTube.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If walking to the park would be a workout, then do this. If going there and back is too much, then walk halfway there and increase distance as you get better at it.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Running in place won't be as effective as running, but that doesn't mean it can't be helpful and, if the alternative is nothing, it's certainly better than that. What might help is to incorporate some other routines in there as well like burpees, stride jumps etc. Basically anything that gets your heart rate into the target zone is effect for cardio work.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    a bunch of my friends on here swear by Leslie Sansone. She does walk and run at home videos.
  • SarahStarr86
    Options
    a bunch of my friends on here swear by Leslie Sansone. She does walk and run at home videos.

I'll cosign to the Leslie Sansone dvds. My mom has a whole collection. I don't know if they are all categorized by the distance but I've seen my mom do a tape that Leslie Sansone said was equal to a 5 mile walk...she incorporates weights also, and its low impact! Target and Amazon have plenty for cheap.
  • ConquerAndBloom
    ConquerAndBloom Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Running in place won't be as effective as running, but that doesn't mean it can't be helpful and, if the alternative is nothing, it's certainly better than that. What might help is to incorporate some other routines in there as well like burpees, stride jumps etc. Basically anything that gets your heart rate into the target zone is effect for cardio work.

This. Anything that gets you moving is better than nothing! I like Shaun T's Rockin' Body, despite how drastically out of shape I am I can still get through a 15-35 minute video and I really break a sweat.

• Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure if this is an option for you, but the local High school might let you use their track.