Hot HIIT

Options

Replies

• jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    dazzler21 wrote: »
    The body burns more calories staying warm than staying cool.

You'd be better off doing a Rocky and getting in a freezer room to do your HIIT..

This is true if you are goal-ing for calorie burn for sure! cold winters in Kansas back in the day was were I got my biggest burn -20 weather and Sh** haha.

But for physically endurance training, to help acclimate yourself pre-deployment or if your doing a mudder in a hot summer day it would help to train in higher temperatures, just stay hydrated "take a knee and drink water!"
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    OP - as for your calorie estimate question would suggest just log duration as circuit training or calisthenics - both wild estimates but that is as good as it's going to get.
    Over the course of a week the accuracy of one workout isn't really that important.
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    OP - as for your calorie estimate question would suggest just log duration as circuit training or calisthenics - both wild estimates but that is as good as it's going to get.
    Over the course of a week the accuracy of one workout isn't really that important.

Good points OP should definitely reference!
  • Dazzler21
    Dazzler21 Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    dazzler21 wrote: »
    The body burns more calories staying warm than staying cool.

You'd be better off doing a Rocky and getting in a freezer room to do your HIIT..

This is true if you are goal-ing for calorie burn for sure! cold winters in Kansas back in the day was were I got my biggest burn -20 weather and Sh** haha.

But for physically endurance training, to help acclimate yourself pre-deployment or if your doing a mudder in a hot summer day it would help to train in higher temperatures, just stay hydrated "take a knee and drink water!"

Agree as stated it was intended for max calorie burn which seems to be the OP target.
  • NYC_Yogi_79
    NYC_Yogi_79 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    VegasFit wrote: »
    I've never heard of Hot HIIT but it sounds very similar to classes that are very popular here. I've never thought of them as necessary a detox. Hot pilates, barefoot bootcamp, etc., usually pretty crowded. People just tend to modify if they are struggling just like in a normal temperature class. As for estimating calories I've always worn a monitor but the difference in calories was basically the same as non heated. Sometimes it just feels good to sweat, just my opinion.

Yes couldn't agree more. Hot studios are popular in NYC. Thanks.
  • NYC_Yogi_79
    Options
    I feel like its a cool idea to do conditioning training in a hot environment "done it plenty myself". However that being said when I do HIIT after about 30 minutes I'm gassed and sometimes even less. Do you guys workout at 90% maximum intensity the entire time? if so my hats off to you. Don't listen to neigh sayers about heated environment training, But if you like the extreme's in training cold weather training can be challenging as well, a new beast to concur so to speak.

But on to the original question, I dont think a man / woman alive could tell you how much you are burning there is just so much variables with maximum intensity training, plus the afterburn effect. Much different then using telemetry from steady state cardio with Heart Rate and distance / weight / time equations.

There's a warm up and cool down of course. You work hard for 20 seconds and rest for 10. It's intense but that's the point.
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    lizbx1 wrote: »
    Ocrgrrrl wrote: »
    Exactly...if you can perform it for 60 minutes it's not true HIIT. Seriously...when I do HIIT I want to die and can only do it for 20 maybe 30 minutes.

It's a combo of toning and cardio. www.hothiit.com

toning is what happens when you lose fat over existing muscle hence you get a "toned" look. you cant tone muscle.and toning+cardio does not =HIIT.just because you havent experienced heat exhaustion doesnt mean it cant/wont happen.as for the original question no one can give you an exact answer because its going to vary by person.

not to mention exercising at heat that high for 60 min could lead to hyperthermia as well.which is why when its hotter than hades outside they tell people to limit their exposure to the heat and limit their activities. But hey if you want to risk it then that is your choice.

I know what toning means thanks. Please do your research before making false statements like "could lead to hypothermia". There have been many studies conducted and there is no harm to working out in a hot room.

She said hyperthermia, not hypothermia. If you're gonna accuse someone of false statements, probably ought to get your own statement correct.

I would like to see one of those studies. Can you provide a link?

On my phone. Simple typo. You can search for articles posted on Shape Magazine and Menshealth.

you did not seriously cite shape magazine and menshealth as research????????

Calm down
  • bigmuneymfp
    bigmuneymfp Posts: 2,235 Member
    Options
    Did the op get to meet bikram?
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I feel like its a cool idea to do conditioning training in a hot environment "done it plenty myself". However that being said when I do HIIT after about 30 minutes I'm gassed and sometimes even less. Do you guys workout at 90% maximum intensity the entire time? if so my hats off to you. Don't listen to neigh sayers about heated environment training, But if you like the extreme's in training cold weather training can be challenging as well, a new beast to concur so to speak.

But on to the original question, I dont think a man / woman alive could tell you how much you are burning there is just so much variables with maximum intensity training, plus the afterburn effect. Much different then using telemetry from steady state cardio with Heart Rate and distance / weight / time equations.

There's a warm up and cool down of course. You work hard for 20 seconds and rest for 10. It's intense but that's the point.

20 on, 10 off for 8 rounds would be a tabata set. The 20 seconds is supposed to be all out, and tabata is usually considered a HIIT type workout. Usually you do not do them for 30 minutes or so from what I have seen.

As far as everything goes, I don't think the heat is going to make a difference in the amount of calories burned. I think it might help somewhat with keeping muscles looser since they should stay warmer, but I don't know if sweating to cool down is going to burn more calories. It seems like trying to heat up to stay warm would create more of a burn.
  • NYC_Yogi_79
    Options
    Exactly...if you can perform it for 60 minutes it's not true HIIT. Seriously...when I do HIIT I want to die and can only do it for 20 maybe 30 minutes.

toning is what happens when you lose fat over existing muscle hence you get a "toned" look. you cant tone muscle.and toning+cardio does not =HIIT.just because you havent experienced heat exhaustion doesnt mean it cant/wont happen.as for the original question no one can give you an exact answer because its going to vary by person.

not to mention exercising at heat that high for 60 min could lead to hyperthermia as well.which is why when its hotter than hades outside they tell people to limit their exposure to the heat and limit their activities. But hey if you want to risk it then that is your choice.

I know what toning means thanks. Please do your research before making false statements like "could lead to hypothermia". There have been many studies conducted and there is no harm to working out in a hot room.

She said hyperthermia, not hypothermia. If you're gonna accuse someone of false statements, probably ought to get your own statement correct.

I would like to see one of those studies. Can you provide a link?

On my phone. Simple typo. You can search for articles posted on Shape Magazine and Menshealth.

you did not seriously cite shape magazine and menshealth as research????????

Calm down

Seriously why is everyone wound up so tightly? It's quite entertaining lol
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

I have done research and hperthermia and hypothermia are two different things.you can overheat working out in a hot room and end up with hyperthermia,its the same as if you were to work out outside in 90-100 degree whether.what studies are you reading? do you have a link?

Good luck. I think she rage-quit her own thread already.
    :laugh:

• firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    abuck_13 wrote: »

20 on, 10 off for 8 rounds would be a tabata set. The 20 seconds is supposed to be all out, and tabata is usually considered a HIIT type workout. Usually you do not do them for 30 minutes or so from what I have seen.

As far as everything goes, I don't think the heat is going to make a difference in the amount of calories burned. I think it might help somewhat with keeping muscles looser since they should stay warmer, but I don't know if sweating to cool down is going to burn more calories. It seems like trying to heat up to stay warm would create more of a burn.

I did a tabata style workout this morning, 20 sec sprint 10 sec walk for 8 rounds was one of the sets and those 5 mins just about killed me and I was outside in pretty cool temperatures (had several other *fun* sets such as squats, kettlebell swings and push ups before hand). Couldn't imagine being able to keep that level of intensity up a. for 60 mins (actually had 20 minutes of interval work with 5 min warm up/cool down), and b. in a hot atmosphere, I was sweating buckets at 8C.

eta : Oh and according to my Fitbit, despite putting my all in and being exhausted afterwards I *only* burnt around 165 Calories.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I doubt that it is true HIIT, as HIIT is supposed to be so intense you can only do 15-20 minutes, and thats all you need due to the intensity.

That said, you would not burn more than if in regular room temperature, and less than you would if you were doing it in the cold.
  • NYC_Yogi_79
    edited April 2017
    Options
    firef1y72 wrote: »
    abuck_13 wrote: »

I did a tabata style workout this morning, 20 sec sprint 10 sec walk for 8 rounds was one of the sets and those 5 mins just about killed me and I was outside in pretty cool temperatures (had several other *fun* sets such as squats, kettlebell swings and push ups before hand). Couldn't imagine being able to keep that level of intensity up a. for 60 mins (actually had 20 minutes of interval work with 5 min warm up/cool down), and b. in a hot atmosphere, I was sweating buckets at 8C.

eta : Oh and according to my Fitbit, despite putting my all in and being exhausted afterwards I *only* burnt around 165 Calories.

The class I went to last night included sets of squats, crunches, planks, mountain climbers and burpees. Everyone's max is different. I certainly take knee if I need it.
  • NYC_Yogi_79
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Did the op get to meet bikram?

Not yet. But I am interested in doing the teacher training so maybe one day.