Evening walk and terrible people

Options
I went for my evening walk as I usually do. As I am walking, someone leans out there window and yells, "Look at you fat girl". I just don't understand the desire that people have to do things like that. It was immensely discouraging and I just kind of wanted to go back home at that point, but I kept walking. I just felt so selfconcious and I don't really want to go for a walk anymore.

Replies

• jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    sometimes humans are the worst. shake it off as best as you can and try to turn some of the shame into anger cause anger makes you walk quicker.
  • droppedstitches
    droppedstitches Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry that happened to you :( People can really suck, and I know how discouraging it is to hear something like that. Please don't stop going for walks...thats something you need to do for YOU, and no one else can do it for you. The reward of working past this awful moment are great though, and you'll be past a stage where people can say these things to you before you know it.

*HUG*
  • goolhc
    goolhc Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Just ignore them, don't let you demotivate, by this kind of loosers!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Ignoring taunts doesn't work for me. (It's happened. At certain gyms, while riding a bike, sneers while walking) I'm too sensitive. I avoid taunts and go where they're almost guaranteed not to happen. Planet Fitness is $10 a month and they have treadmills for walking. No one will taunt you. Exercise DVDs done at home in front of the TV don't come with taunting either.

I understand being advised to ignore it and nobody wants to let the bad guys win. But when there's places you can go to exercise and not get psychologically stabbed in the face, it's a better alternative in my opinion.

On this note - also check indoor "walking" videos. I live in the mid-west and won't walk outdoors in ice or snow. Plus it's just another option for variety sake.

https://www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia

There are DVDs too. Check you local library. Just Walk DVDs have a music only option and chaptering let's you skip around.

• blkhawk921
    blkhawk921 Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    Good for you for continuing your walk. Please don't ever let what others say or think deter you from doing what is best for you. Some people can only build themselves up by tearing others down. They are not worth even thinking about (easier said than done I know) but in the end it will all be worth it and you will will have the last laugh. Good wishes to you on your journey.
  • kevin_montgomery
    kevin_montgomery Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Look, some people can be real *kittens*. You were strong enough and brave enough not to give into the trolls. You are out there improving yourself and that is something to be proud of. Just know that for every jerk out there, there are dozens of people here who support you. My philosophy is to prove them wrong. I would keep walking just to make a point. You are going to succeed, lose weight, and feel better while they have to watch you and all they can do is remain stagnant.
  • mrsmeteor
    mrsmeteor Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I went for my evening walk as I usually do. As I am walking, someone leans out there window and yells, "Look at you fat girl". I just don't understand the desire that people have to do things like that. It was immensely discouraging and I just kind of wanted to go back home at that point, but I kept walking. I just felt so selfconcious and I don't really want to go for a walk anymore.

I'm sorry that happened to you. I live in the country and walk a lot and wouldn't have believed that people like that exist before I started reading these forums, but obviously they actually are out there.

Whatever you do, don't let them derail you. What about taking along an MP3 player and listening to music? People can say whatever they want then, and you won't hear any of it.