How to battle sugar addiction

Options

Replies

• domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Avoid artificial sweeteners as i have seen studies that show it can increase your cravings for sugar. If you don't buy it you can't eat it. So don't buy sugary foods. I find that once i start eating sugary foods, i can't stop. Sometimes i see them in the shop and think about how i will feel after i eat them, and the pimples that will show up on my face after. That's often enough to put me off. Also, i feel better if i eat healthy and i have low energy if i eat sugary foods. That puts me off eating sugary foods sometimes too. Focus on the healthy foods you CAN eat to reach your weight loss goals, not on what you can't. Good luck OP!. I find that dried fruit can be nice too, as well as fresh fruit.
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    TheRambler wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Also, here's an article with research on sugar from what some believe to be an expert doctor. https://www.rt.com/news/319954-sugar-dangerous-children-study/
    Lustig. Lol, yeah he's kinda of an extremist. When labeling sugar as a "toxic" or "poisonous" to the system, and then having people believe it means he's a good salesman. His book sales are off the charts.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

I'm a firm believer that it's important to read/listen to both points of view. I'm pretty sure that it's obvious that sugar isn't toxic and won't kill you if eaten in moderation. I think it's also obvious that sugar (as with most things) is very dangerous to your health if overdone. And it's VERY easy to over-do sugar.

If you have a glass of juice and a yogurt with "fruit" in it for breakfast, you're already near 20 tbsps. That's when you wake up. A day of that with soda/smoothies and normal eating can/will get you sick.

Obviously sugar is not bad for you. It's in fruit. I REALLY believe our kids need to be educated on what to look for when eating. How many people are fooled daily with smoothies/yogurt/juice? It's deceiving and dangerous.

I'm not even talking about weight, just overall health.

I totally disagree that people are "fooled" by these things. If they are interested (most people are not), it's incredibly easy to find out.

I'd personally never start the day with juice and a flavored yogurt because I wouldn't find that filling, but if someone does it can be part of a balanced diet. (I do think it's best to eat fruit whole vs. only the juice, but a moderate amount of juice if you enjoy it can be fine.)
    The problem with sugar is, it's so hidden. A lot of times people think they are being healthy, but they're not.

It's not hidden. People like this argument because it pretends like people had NO IDEA they were eating unhealthfully, but it's not consistent with the actual stats. If you look at where the sugar in the US diet comes from, something like 35% is from sugar sweetened drinks, another big chunk is from pastries and other sweet baked goods, candy, ice cream, etc. Then a chunk from sugary cereals (and the sugar is cereals is NOT hidden, everyone knows about it). Not that much from yogurt overall (although that's obviously not hidden either), and not much (as a percentage) from savory foods that most mean when they talk about so-called hidden sugar.

I don't think this has anything to do with OP's issue, though.

It's not hidden? It's listed on packages as high fructose corn syrup. Or HFCS. How does that say sugar? There are also way more other names it's under. They do hide it on purpose so people will feed it to their children and not bat an eye at eating it!

Well fructose and syrup are pretty huge clues!
    You do realise there are many types of sugar? You aren't advocating less accurate food labels are you?

By the way.... why wouldn't you feed your children foods that contain some sugar? (As part of an overall healthy and nutritious diet of course.....)

Yes, i agree. But, with the food industry becoming more and more sneaky the average person may not have a clue. Like the fact that there are so many chemicals in cereal for example. And i wouldnt want to feed them sugary foods, because most of it comes from gmo corn or gmo beets. Sugar also feeds cancer. If i do feed them treats its after a hard day of work or a lot of activity or it's something homemade that i used honey in or pure maple syrup. I'm not saying ever. Not saying never ever. But, on a regular basis every single day of the week it's highly over abused because people like cheap and easy. And i would like to know anything about sugar that is "healthy and nutritious" give me a break

I have a bit more optimism that "the average person" is able to read and if unsure what an ingredient is then they have the wit to educate themselves.

"Sugar feeds cancer" is an appalling thing to say by the way. That's just silly fearmongering.

So you don't think sugar can be part of a healthy or nutritious food item let alone an overall diet?
    Such as fruit, vegetables, grains, dairy - or even the almost 100% sugar you feed your children in the form of honey or maple syrup?
    You seem to have a load of irrational fears.....

PS - You and I and everything around us is made of chemicals!

Omg...lmao. So you think we have chemicals all around us and it effect people, but cannot believe sugar feeds cancer. Research it. It's not fearmongering it's fact. And i dont know why you take things like grains and fruits and classify them as sugar. It's ridiculous. I never said anything about those items. I am talking white, refined, processed sugar. Corn syrup, etc. I wasn't talking anything about fructose or anything of that nature.
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Also, here's an article with research on sugar from what some believe to be an expert doctor. https://www.rt.com/news/319954-sugar-dangerous-children-study/
    Lustig. Lol, yeah he's kinda of an extremist. When labeling sugar as a "toxic" or "poisonous" to the system, and then having people believe it means he's a good salesman. His book sales are off the charts.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'm a firm believer that it's important to read/listen to both points of view. I'm pretty sure that it's obvious that sugar isn't toxic and won't kill you if eaten in moderation. I think it's also obvious that sugar (as with most things) is very dangerous to your health if overdone. And it's VERY easy to over-do sugar.

If you have a glass of juice and a yogurt with "fruit" in it for breakfast, you're already near 20 tbsps. That's when you wake up. A day of that with soda/smoothies and normal eating can/will get you sick.

Obviously sugar is not bad for you. It's in fruit. I REALLY believe our kids need to be educated on what to look for when eating. How many people are fooled daily with smoothies/yogurt/juice? It's deceiving and dangerous.

I totally disagree that people are "fooled" by these things. If they are interested (most people are not), it's incredibly easy to find out.

I'd personally never start the day with juice and a flavored yogurt because I wouldn't find that filling, but if someone does it can be part of a balanced diet. (I do think it's best to eat fruit whole vs. only the juice, but a moderate amount of juice if you enjoy it can be fine.)
    The problem with sugar is, it's so hidden. A lot of times people think they are being healthy, but they're not.

It's not hidden. People like this argument because it pretends like people had NO IDEA they were eating unhealthfully, but it's not consistent with the actual stats. If you look at where the sugar in the US diet comes from, something like 35% is from sugar sweetened drinks, another big chunk is from pastries and other sweet baked goods, candy, ice cream, etc. Then a chunk from sugary cereals (and the sugar is cereals is NOT hidden, everyone knows about it). Not that much from yogurt overall (although that's obviously not hidden either), and not much (as a percentage) from savory foods that most mean when they talk about so-called hidden sugar.

It's not hidden? It's listed on packages as high fructose corn syrup. Or HFCS. How does that say sugar? There are also way more other names it's under. They do hide it on purpose so people will feed it to their children and not bat an eye at eating it!

You do realise there are many types of sugar? You aren't advocating less accurate food labels are you?

By the way.... why wouldn't you feed your children foods that contain some sugar? (As part of an overall healthy and nutritious diet of course.....)

Yes, i agree. But, with the food industry becoming more and more sneaky the average person may not have a clue. Like the fact that there are so many chemicals in cereal for example. And i wouldnt want to feed them sugary foods, because most of it comes from gmo corn or gmo beets. Sugar also feeds cancer. If i do feed them treats its after a hard day of work or a lot of activity or it's something homemade that i used honey in or pure maple syrup. I'm not saying ever. Not saying never ever. But, on a regular basis every single day of the week it's highly over abused because people like cheap and easy. And i would like to know anything about sugar that is "healthy and nutritious" give me a break

Ahhh, this explains a lot. I'm out :p

Will be a sad day for you when you realize the truth behind this. It's called research.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Do you think for a food addicted person it's as easy as "just don't buy the junk"?
    As I said before, it's exactly that easy for my wife, who is utterly convinced that she's a sugar/carb "addict". If it's not in the house, she doesn't crave it and doesn't eat it.

Will be a sad day for you when you realize the truth behind this. It's called research.
    That knife cuts both ways.

And knowing how to vet one's sources is an important part of internet research.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Speaking just to the point of food labeling, I don't agree that the average person can read and understand what they say about added sugars, without being given a fairly detailed lesson. At least, not the most complicated labels. Theoretically, yes, a lot of people could. In practice, it isn't likely to happen.

While I don't think the "food industry" as a whole is working together on this, there are common practices that deliberately make it hard to tell how much added sugar is in a product, relative to other ingredients. One common example is strategically grouping ingredients together or listing them separately, to change the order in which ingredients appear in the ingredient list.

ETA: New nutrition labels on foods sold in the US will have to identify amounts of added sugars, but that won't be required until the middle of 2018.

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I have a bit more optimism that "the average person" is able to read and if unsure what an ingredient is then they have the wit to educate themselves.

"Sugar feeds cancer" is an appalling thing to say by the way. That's just silly fearmongering.

So you don't think sugar can be part of a healthy or nutritious food item let alone an overall diet?
    Such as fruit, vegetables, grains, dairy - or even the almost 100% sugar you feed your children in the form of honey or maple syrup?
    You seem to have a load of irrational fears.....

PS - You and I and everything around us is made of chemicals!

Omg...lmao. So you think we have chemicals all around us and it effect people, but cannot believe sugar feeds cancer. Research it. It's not fearmongering it's fact. And i dont know why you take things like grains and fruits and classify them as sugar. It's ridiculous. I never said anything about those items. I am talking white, refined, processed sugar. Corn syrup, etc. I wasn't talking anything about fructose or anything of that nature. So, just like the other dude on here you like to take and twist everything i say.

But everything you say is wrong! Fearmongering as well. I should have told my mother to stop eating sugar, she might have survived breast cancer. Ugh

I have two relatives currently fighting leukaemia and my Dad was a two time cancer survivor.
    If only they knew that not putting a teaspoon of sugar in their cereal would have sorted out their disease without all the inconvenient chemotherapy and operations....

Agreed. Saying sugar feeds cancer is irksome to me.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    dfwesq wrote: »
    Speaking just to the point of food labeling, I don't agree that the average person can read and understand what they say about added sugars, without being given a fairly detailed lesson. At least, not the most complicated labels. Theoretically, yes, a lot of people could. In practice, it isn't likely to happen.

While I don't think the "food industry" as a whole is working together on this, there are common practices that deliberately make it hard to tell how much added sugar is in a product, relative to other ingredients. One common example is strategically grouping ingredients together or listing them separately, to change the order in which ingredients appear in the ingredient list.

As evidenced by this thread alone, a lot of people have no idea of even the most basic physiological/biological principles pertaining to sugar, what it is, or how it is metabolized in the body. Some don't even understand the most basic laws of energy balance. So I agree wholeheartedly.

Next I'm waiting for the fearmongering and woo surrounding high fructose corn syrup - which, incidentally, is for all intents and purposes, chemically identical to table sugar.
  • mince3892
    mince3892 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I also had a massive sugar addiction. There was no magical answer to getting rid of it; the addiction subsided slowly over time with proper nutrition, having proper meals and most importantly, eating things I actually like to eat. I tried to go cold turkey on sugar so many times, but for me that wasn't natural or sustainable. There is sugar in a lot of things and so ultimately the most successful thing for me was to include sugar in my diet and calories everyday but to limit it. I don't buy things that are problematic. If I have something sweet I make sure it is with other people (so I can't binge) and there are no leftovers. It's crucial to identify situations that trigger a sugar binge and changing your environment to avoid it happening the next time that situation arises. It was a lot of trial and error for me. But well worth it in the end.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I always laugh a bit when someone says "you don't eat sugar out of the bag with a spoon do you?" because I totally have.

I suspect this is quite rare.

I also suspect this is not what OP is talking about.

Rather than speculating, it would be nice to know what the OP is talking about. People tend to assume that whatever their deal was applies to the OP too, and I think issues with sugary foods (and other foods) that feel out of control usually are quite fact specific and varied.

Sure, I agree. But it does happen, and that was my point. For those of us who do deal with that, reading this sort of thing constantly is demoralizing and frustrating. I did note to the OP that their approach and finding their "moderation tolerance" should definitely be individualized - and I also doubt they eat sugar by the spoonful, but maybe this will be helpful to anyone else reading it who might.

I don't presume that my issues apply to everyone.

My point is just that I think it's not helpful to OP (who granted is probably long gone) to have it become a fight about whether sugar addiction is a thing.

Whether one eats sugar with a spoon likely depends on how palatable you find it. I don't find plain sugar very palable, the thought of eating it is unpleasant to me (same with plain butter or oil), but many, many foods with sugar+fat (and some other ingredients) have been hard for me to moderate at times and even been trigger foods.

For me the addiction framing is not helpful (and it does seem different in some important ways, which is also why I don't talk about caffeine addiction in a serious way even though it's indisputably a kind of physical dependence with symptoms, which is not the case with sugar). However, if someone finds the eating addiction or even psychological addiction to sugary foods framing helpful for them, I don't care. I do object when people decide that OP said "addiction" so she must eliminate sugary foods (which is fine if she wants to) or (ugh) do a sugar detox or go low carb. You need to know a lot more about her specifics.

I've had a lot of issues with feeling out of control with food and emotional eating and overeating, so I don't think I don't get it, but for me the correct response wasn't ultimately to treat sugar as if it were alcohol and I was in AA. It was to add structure and work on the emotional eating stuff (which I am not assuming OP has).

Not at all directed at you, but why I get frustrated with these conversations and the idea that if we don't frame it as addiction or our taste preferences run toward foods besides sugary ones (or straight sugar in this case) that we just can't understand.
  • EternalSnow627_
    EternalSnow627_ Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    tweety0429 wrote: »
    This is what i did instead of using sugar in my tea i am using natural wild honey.
    and instead of candy i am eating dates, prunes or other fruits and my sweet craving would stop

Actually honey is pure sugar if u need it sweet then use equal sweetener no calories at all in it. So much better then sugar and honey.

• Bekah7482
    Bekah7482 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Addiction is more than druggies committing crimes to support their dope additions. Addiction is a psychological disorder.

"Addiction is the repeated involvement with a substance or activity, despite the substantial harm it now causes, because that involvement was (and may continue to be) pleasurable and/or valuable.

There are four key parts to this definition of addiction:

1. Addiction includes both substances and activities (such as sex and gambling).
    2. Addiction leads to substantial harm.
    3. Addiction is repeated involvement despite substantial harm.
    4. Addiction continues because it was, or is, pleasurable and/or valuable."
    https://www.mentalhelp.net/articles/definition-of-addiction/
  • lemurcat12
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It's not hidden? It's listed on packages as high fructose corn syrup. Or HFCS. How does that say sugar?

Well, most things I eat with sugar say "cane sugar."

Things with HFCS often are things that everyone knows are sweets -- cookies or pastries or whatever.

As I explained above, the percentage of sugar in the US diet from savory items--items that don't OBVIOUSLY contain sugar--is actually not that high. Cereals and flavored yogurt, also super obvious.

But also pretty much everyone knows that HFCS is sugar.

The hidden sugar thing is so trumped up, IMO. Nobody eats tons of calories from sugar without knowing it.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Because it says right on the nutrition panel how much sugar is in the item...

Oh, and also this, of course!