Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

MFP is turning into My Keto Pal

Options
Noel_57
Noel_57 Posts: 3,542 Member
edited April 2017 in Debate Club
What's with the keto invasion in the forums? I mean, every ten minutes another "anyone doing keto?" thread. Who considers it a passing fad? Who thinks it's here to stay?

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I think many of the keto people are not actually doing keto. I don't have a problem with it as long as they aren't going around telling people it's the only way (then again almost every way of eating does that). It's only My Keto Pal if the initial set up of the macros is for keto. Beyond that this site is just a tool (as you yourself have said before).
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    It comes in waves and for many people the idea of getting to eat a mostly meat/fatty diet and lose weight is appealing (was for me initially). I don't think most people get their fat high enough to actually be considered keto. I don't know that I see many more keto threads now compared to 2011 when I joined. I see way more lifting threads and way more CICO threads over the years.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    Maybe I should have made the thread title into a question and not a statement. I also don't have a problem with it. But wow is the keto subject increasingly popular here.

Can you edit your title?
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    Keto ain't my buddy, pal!!!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,165 Member
    Options
    U2R2 wrote: »
    On the bright side at least it's given gluten a rest. :p

Enjoy it while it lasts.
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    U2R2 wrote: »
    On the bright side at least it's given gluten a rest. :p

Now we have the evils of sugar to wage war on.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    Keto invasion? ~to an extend I guess but what gets to me is that every other thread seems to be about 'sugar addiction' at present. Fighting the veto fat with sugar addiction :D
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    To 'go keto' is a big change in a person's life and they have the convert's zeal for both the change and any sign of success. Bless their hearts. They don't return to proclaim that they've returned to carbs because that's a public shaming. It does work as long as you stay on it, and few there are who can stay on it for a whole year.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Do find the way the "diet industry" is so volatile and constantly shifting according to the latest fashion quite amazing.
    It's all about marketing. A few stories popped up one day about gluten sensitivity. Suddenly half the country claimed they were gluten intolerant. Voila - the shelves get stocked with gluten free bread, gluten free cookies, gluten free feminine hygiene spray.
    Then, a study gets published that says gluten intolerance is actually rare and that most people are just fooling themselves. And then the gluten fad slowly fades away...Same thing happened with the fat-free rage twenty years ago. Everything was suddenly available fat-free. Now the pendulum has seemed to have swung to keto. I'm not knocking any diet, to each their own. But sometimes I wonder if the food industry is behind it. ;)

Dude, follow the money. Teehee
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    What's with the keto invasion in the forums? I mean, every ten minutes another "anyone doing keto?" thread. Who considers it a passing fad? Who thinks it's here to stay?

Glad I'm not the only one who's noticed it.

For the record, I think it can be a valid diet (emphasis on "can" be), but I also think there's a lot of woo and magic appended to it by many people. I'm not a big fan of the zealotry surrounding it either.
This discussion has been closed.