How to battle sugar addiction

Options

Replies

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    First of all, anyone saying it's not a battle or addiction has never had an addiction to it. It is one of the most addictive things out there and is in damned near everything! I know it can be rough. I've been there for 36 years. One thing i have learned is 80/20. Don't beat yourself up on cheat days. I try to stay away from sugar and unhealthy foods while i'm at work and have to pack food to bring in, then saturday is a cheat day. I try to be stubborn enough to only have it that day. You can also try cutting it out slowly. Try getting natural sugars from fruit and honey. I think that really helps me. And i am not overly religious AT ALL and it may sound crazy, but i seriously pray about it. I ask that he help me with my food addiction make me strong when i want to eat bad and give me the energy and motivation to work out. It really can help.

[edited by MFP moderator]

if it is so addictive and bad then why is it OK to have it 20% of the time. IF a heroin addict told you that they went through rehab and were clean but still did heroin 20% of the time you would look at them like they sprung two heads.

I never understood this dichotomy that on the one hand sugar is bad and addictive, but on the other hand it is still OK sometimes...

I love how you like to take EVERYTHING i say and literally pick it apart to bits. I said 80/20 rule for eating. That means 80% healthy and pretty clean. I never once said the 20% should be straight up sugar now did i?? And so what a person that wants to not eat sugar can never celebrate with a friend and eat birthday cake ever again? Can never have christmas cookies or easter candy EVER AGAIN?! Geez dude get off the literal train.

I don't think you need to not eat sugar. I think 80/20 is a perfectly reasonable rule, and cutting out ADDED (not all) sugar or just sugary treats (more likely the issue for most people) for most of the time but eating it on special occasions is totally reasonable to if that works best for you. But that's not normally how addicts approach it -- you don't say it's okay to have meth occasionally or even say "what, if you are an alcoholic you can never go out for a drink or share a bottle of wine with a friend on a birthday?" That normally is what people think it means, if you think it's really a problem.
    the more you cut it out the less you want it.

For some people this is true. For me it's true. Not sure what it has to do with addiction and--the bigger point--it's not true for everyone. For some including it in the diet in regular amounts or making a point of NOT cutting it out can be extremely important in regaining a feeling of control.

Rather than decide that people who don't use the word "addiction" don't understand, why not talk about the underlying difficulties and approaches?
  • domeofstars
    domeofstars Posts: 480 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Avoid artificial sweeteners as i have seen studies that show it can increase your cravings for sugar. If you don't buy it you can't eat it. So don't buy sugary foods. I find that once i start eating sugary foods, i can't stop. Sometimes i see them in the shop and think about how i will feel after i eat them, and the pimples that will show up on my face after. That's often enough to put me off. Also, i feel better if i eat healthy and i have low energy if i eat sugary foods. That puts me off eating sugary foods sometimes too. Focus on the healthy foods you CAN eat to reach your weight loss goals, not on what you can't. Good luck OP!. I find that dried fruit can be nice too, as well as fresh fruit.

You do realize that dried fruit has crap ton of sugar in it right? A small (itty bitty) box of raisins for example, has 25g of sugar. 1/3 cup (40g) of dried cranberries has 26g of sugar.

Do you think that dried fruit is as unhealthy as a snickers bar, or ice cream because of the naturally occurring sugars in it?

I buy dried fruit that doesn't have additional sugar added to it. Raisins and cranberries contain fibre which is important for bowel health, satiety and having a more stabilizing impact on blood sugar levels which keeps you fuller for longer. Cranberries are highly beneficial for lowering high blood pressure, and are a valuable source of vitamin c.

• crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Avoid artificial sweeteners as i have seen studies that show it can increase your cravings for sugar. If you don't buy it you can't eat it. So don't buy sugary foods. I find that once i start eating sugary foods, i can't stop. Sometimes i see them in the shop and think about how i will feel after i eat them, and the pimples that will show up on my face after. That's often enough to put me off. Also, i feel better if i eat healthy and i have low energy if i eat sugary foods. That puts me off eating sugary foods sometimes too. Focus on the healthy foods you CAN eat to reach your weight loss goals, not on what you can't. Good luck OP!. I find that dried fruit can be nice too, as well as fresh fruit.

You do realize that dried fruit has crap ton of sugar in it right? A small (itty bitty) box of raisins for example, has 25g of sugar. 1/3 cup (40g) of dried cranberries has 26g of sugar.

Do you think that dried fruit is as unhealthy as a snickers bar, or ice cream because of the naturally occurring sugars in it?

I buy dried fruit that doesn't have additional sugar added to it. Raisins and cranberries contain fibre which is important for bowel health, satiety and having a more stabilizing impact on blood sugar levels which keeps you fuller for longer. Cranberries are highly beneficial for lowering high blood pressure, and are a valuable source of vitamin c.

I don't think ice cream or a snickers bar is unhealthy. And since I average 800g-1,000g of veg and fruit a day, I'm already swimming in fiber :p

Anywhooo OP, best of luck to you and I hope you find a way that works for you, for the long term!
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    I'll pop in just to add, my statement of getting a sugar substitute implied more than I said. I use my big bag of sucralose when a recipe calls for sugar. If the recipe, as for bread, uses yeast, I use real sugar. If the recipe, as for cornbread, does not use yeast, I use the sucralose. I don't add sweetener to my coffee, my breakfast cereal, my vegetables, etc.
  • domeofstars
    Options

I don't think ice cream or a snickers bar is unhealthy. And since I average 800g-1,000g of veg and fruit a day, I'm already swimming in fiber :p

Anywhooo OP, best of luck to you and I hope you find a way that works for you, for the long term!

You criticize me for recommending the op eat dried fruit, and then say 'i don't think ice cream or a snickers bar is unhealthy'. Lmao.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

You criticize me for recommending the op eat dried fruit, and then say 'i don't think ice cream or a snickers bar is unhealthy'. Lmao.

Please can you explain precisely how a snickers or some ice cream is actually unhealthy in the overall context of a person's diet?
    Not as the only components of a diet - as part of an overall diet.

• domeofstars
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Snickers would fall into the 'sometimes' category of food while a small serving of dried fruit would count as a serving of fruit which is part of the healthy food pyramid. What I was saying is that dried fruit would be of more nutritional benefit to consume rather than a snickers bar, as it contains fibre. Some fruits also contain vitamins which are good for your health. Snickers contains a large quantity of fat, refined sugars and a small amount of protein. Fine in moderation, ok? Enjoy ;)
  • domeofstars
    edited April 2017
    Options

Because dates are sugar, fiber and some micros. No different than a snickers bar but at least these have protein to boot.

Awesome.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,019 Member
    Options
    I would say both snickersbars and dried fruits are fine in moderation - if you like them and the portion size you are eating fits into your calorie goal and they are part of an overall balanced and nutritious diet.

Like,well, all foods really.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Snickers would fall into the 'sometimes' category of food while a small serving of dried fruit would count as a serving of fruit which is part of the healthy food pyramid. What I was saying is that dried fruit would be of more nutritional benefit to consume rather than a snickers bar, as it contains fibre. Some fruits also contain vitamins which are good for your health. Snickers contains a large quantity of fat, refined sugars and a small amount of protein. Fine in moderation, ok? Enjoy ;)

Snickers and dried fruit (dried cranberries almost always have added sugar and I doubt they'd be tasty without it) both are high cal, for many people not that filling, but fit quite well in a diet that is overall healthy and balanced. You shouldn't overeat either. I don't like Snickers so get my sweets fix from other things (had a very small serving of an opera cake at a French restaurant last night, and don't think that made my day terrible). I rarely eat dried fruit, but sometimes do -- I have a few tagine recipes that use dried apricots, I make granola with cashews and dried cherries (definitely a sometimes food -- high cal!), and I do a sauce with dried cranberries (I add orange juice to make it sweet enough, and I don't even have a huge sweet tooth).

Suggesting that Snickers is terrible and bad and dried fruit are totally different isn't really based on nutrition or concern about sugar (Snickers are more balanced with fat and some protein, so if sugar were really the issue they might even be better). I suspect the issue is more a lack of control with hyperpalatable foods, which is usually sugar plus fat, but some people have issues with dried fruit. (I only do if mixed with fat, which is why the nuts and cherries combo is dangerous but delicious).
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I do avoid processed sugar but not fruit or dairy. My mom has diabetes and I just keep away from a high carbohydrate way of eating along with making sure I stay out of the overweight category as a safeguard against what might be a genetic disposition toward older age onset of diabetes like she got. I am one of those people also that keeps bakery and sweet treats out of the house, having had a few binges was enough to help me see I could do something about that and so I did take measures and it works for me. Everyone seems to have different things that work.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,574 Member
    Options
    Let's put aside the fiber and vitamins because if one reached their RDA's, eating extra doesn't give one extra credit. So if RDA's were met and one had calories left for a Snicker's or dried fruit, what's the difference in sugar and how is it REALLY impacting health if BOTH were consumed in equal calories?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • LonniJay
    LonniJay Posts: 3,740 Member
    Options
    I love sugar too. I keep a few low cal sweets handy but out of sight. When I have a sugar or chocolate craving I mix 1 tablespoon stevia and one tablespoon cocao powder into 1 tablespoon hot water and stir till blended then pour in 8 oz milk of your choice. This sugar free chocolate milk helps curb my craving and fill me up. I'm also on a keto diet and my craving are not as strong as they used to be. Good luck!
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    The OP is claiming that they're addicted to sugar and asked for help to combat that. You responded with this-also, i feel better if i eat healthy and i have low energy if i eat sugary foods. That puts me off eating sugary foods sometimes too. Focus on the healthy foods you CAN eat to reach your weight loss goals, not on what you can't. Good luck OP!. I find that dried fruit can be nice too, as well as fresh fruit.

ie-combat sugar 'addiction' by eating a food that's very high in sugar. That's why I posted my response to you, because it seems like you're suggesting to someone who feels like that they cannot control their sugar intake, to eat more sugar. Sugar is sugar, is sugar. Full Stop.

Good point. If sugar really is the issue (and again I note that we need more information from OP), dried fruit would be a poor choice, as it's quite concentrated when it comes to sugar per volume.